android
Old 10-10-2011, 09:01 AM

Default Neckband phones like Sennheiser PMX series?

My friend's looking for an acceptable neckband based phones like the PMX serie models- ones that are not in-ears. A budget roughly around $50-60. Any good suggestions? I don't see alot of options in this segment.

He listens to most kinds of music, but leaning more towards RnB- meaning bass is what he wants. Comfort is a priority.

I did tell him bass was a little too much to ask for with those models (since most seem to be open), but thats based on the strictly limited knowledge I have about them.

Cheers.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If the PMX100 sound anything like the PX100 then there will be bass.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yea, open doesn't mean not bassy. As a matter of fact, increasing the amount of ventilation on the Hippo VB is how the different plates provide different amounts of bass, and the one with the most bass provides the most ventilation. Plus you probably won't find any "closed" backphones, they'll all be pretty much similar to the PMX in build style. I have a pair of Sony's that were around $25 say, 4 or 5 years ago. They are super comfortable to me, particularly compared to my other phones when I'm running, but they don't sound very good, so I won't bother finding them and telling you the model unless you want me to. It sounds like your friend is interested in a little bit higher quality than these.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:41 PM

Hey there. I came across this thread in my search for new phones seeing as my PMX-100's seem to finally be dying on me Anyways, these headphones definitely deliver bass. I listen to Drum and Bass, Hip Hop, UK Garage, House, some Dubstep, and I LOVE the bass output from these phones. Source is a Sony NWZ E-354 player.

They're pretty durable too. I use mine for working out and I've had them since April '09 and today was the first day where I'm looking for a replacement. The drivers still work perfectly, but the only thing that's not right is the wire that goes into the plug isn't secure. This results in the sound only coming through to one ear or if I twist and fiddle with the wire connection point then sound will come through to both ears, but it's temporary unless I hold the wire in place. In any case, I think they're pretty tough headphones as mine have been sweat on quite a bit and still sound excellent.

You mentioned comfort. Depending on how long I have them on, sometimes the band will squeeze a little bit behind one of the ears. It doesn't happen all the time, but if it does happen, it'll be after about 2.5-3 hours or so.

At the time I purchased mine I paid $35 and I think at that price point it's excellent value. TBH I'm looking to either buy another one or find some sort of recabling tutorial for them because I love them so much. Personally I wouldn't spend more than around $35 for them simply because I'd be working out with them.

My knowledge is limited with headphones at the <$60 range, but I have tried the Koss Sportapro's, and Koss KSC 75's and I can't say that the Koss's are bassier. They make some songs sound bassier than the Senn's, but then the Senn's will make other songs sound bassier than the Koss'. The Sportapro's are the only ones that would have the behind the neck style, BUT they're ugly IMO. Anyways hope some of my ramblings is useful haha

P.S. If you so happen to stumble across a reputable seller for the PMX-100's, please do post back

EDIT: Oh yeah OP, if you find any other behind the neck style bassy headphones, please let us know.

EDIT2: Found this nifty plug at Radioshack for $4 so hopefully that'll do the trick.

Last edited by FLMikey; 10-13-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:58 AM

Thank FLMikey, I'll take a look at the PMX 100s. Right now we're looking at buying the PMX90s, which are a tad more pricier than the PMX100s but seems to be fairly new.

Our other option is the Audio Technica FC700 and from what I've read so far, these things are quite comfortable and have alot of bass.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 AM

What I've read about the PMX-90's is they have a strange fit for some people where the speakers don't fit well on certain head sizes. I have no idea though.

If your friend wants some non behind the neck neck options you may also want to consider the AKG K518. I think they're right around the price point you mentioned and supposedly bassy too.

EDIT: As for my phones still working with the plug. Haven't gotten the SQ to sound as good as before which is a shame but I'm still tinkering. If worst comes to worse, I'll end up mounting some KSC75's in the PMX-100 band I really hate to see the 100's go though

Last edited by FLMikey; 10-14-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:07 PM

I'll tread lightly PMX90s then- I did see those comments about them too. This guy is a comfort monster and wont take 'maybe' for an answer.

I'm looking at the AKG K518s- not available anywhere in my place. Looks great though.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:39 PM

Hmmm comfort and bass for about $50...hmmm maybe the Sony MDR-XB500? Personally they're too big for me to workout with but from what I've read they deliver good bass. The 700 is supposed to have even boomier bass but then that's above the price point.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:29 PM

Default Philips SHS5200 & iGrado neckband headphones

Just purchased these for less then $15 from Amazon. They sound really good and offer a good bass response and, overall, I think they offer good sound and are an excellent value. I also tried iGrado neckband headphones and they offer excellent sound but I found them uncomfortable after only about 30 minutes of use and they cost significantly more (around $50).

Old 11-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If the Sennheiser PMX 100 is too expensive, you could look at the Koss Sportapro. It is very similar to the Portapro, except that it is a convertible. You can have the band behind your neck, or over your head. The Sportapro is around $20-25.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155475-Sp.../dp/B00001P505

Last edited by JK98; 11-10-2011 at 02:21 AM.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Those cheap philips sound great - & I own a few different sets of their behind the neck headphones. I'd say go for a pair or 2, you won't regret it.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The mother of all neckband headphones.

Yeah, so not a real suggestion since they are over budget, but I dont think I'd ever get a chance to mention those massive things :P

Old 11-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I saw those before Jack4L, and I almost bought them,...