android
Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM

Default Clip+ dead? Replacement options?

Hi,

First time poster, but lurked on this forum a couple of years ago when looking for reliable information.

My Clip+ has just died I think. Using a Wall socked/USB plug and it shorted out with a nice burning smell. As a result the Clip+ won't power on, and I've tried holding the power button for 20seconds to do a reset. If I connect it to a wall charger it does take charge though, but I think this means it's broken beyond repair? Can someone confirm?

Secondly, if this means I'm in the market for a new player, then I like the look of the new Clip Zip, but wondering if there are any alternatives I should be comparing to. I use the player when running and cycling, so small and with a clip to attach to clothing is a must. Ideally something with a bit more volume than the Clip, but I think in this form factor the players are probably all roughly the same in the volume output specs.

My Clip+ was 8gb and I hadn't expanded it with a micro card, so expandability isn't mandatory, but is an added bonus (and I am about to have a spare 2gb card to use also).

Look forward to comments on the "deadness" of my clip+ and suitable replacement options other than the Zip.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Basically the Clip+ or the Clip Zip.

If you live in Canada, retail stores haven't discovered the Zip yet.

Steve

Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 PM

Thanks Steve. Australian resident, and although the quick look I've had I think I can source from here, it's generally cheaper to buy from USA for such items.

Find it surprising that other manufacturers haven't made offerings to rival the clip style for active lifestyle people.

Hopefully silicone cases are coming soon for the Zip.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:28 PM

MY Clip zip should have arrived Friday....too bad the Parcel Service *ucked up my shipment.... As for the Protective Case..take a look over at the Sansa forum. http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Zi.../243356/page/3

Old 11-07-2011, 04:51 AM

Congrats on the new Clip Zip, enjoy but I would recommend to throw that AC wall charger away …

Rechargeable batteries are very sensitive to heat as it can destroy them. If the AC charger you’re using is a quick charger, it can be extremely hard on the battery, so it’s really important to check the specs before using one. As the USB method is slow and does not generate heat like the quick chargers.

The voltage rating itself may not be the problem; usually a ±5% tolerance is ok for 5v, which means that anything from 4.75v - 5.25v will be fine. Many people just check that and go for the cheapest charger, which is where the problem can be. As some cheap chargers either go outside that range occasionally (even though not stated) and send spikes that stress the electronics, thus frying them in the long run, thus my recommendation to toss it.

All that said, there could still be some good parts on your clip and it might just be the battery. Not sure if you DIY but rather than throw it away, you could gift or sell it cheap for parts.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Walkgood,

Thanks for the advice. Normally charge from my computer, but travelling without at the moment, so was using a wall charger dual USB for my clip+, mobile phone etc. Hadn't had any problems, but it was a cheap ebay purchase from asia, so possibly the cause given the info in your post about battery and power spikes etc.

Would be very useful to be able to charge from a wall outlet though when travelling... will have a look at other wall chargers perhaps...

Old 11-07-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd View Post
... Would be very useful to be able to charge from a wall outlet though when travelling... will have a look at other wall chargers perhaps...
I agree, they are very useful and I have one of them myself, even 2 for the car. It's just that sometimes the cheapo's cause more damage than the advantage they provide.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc