android
Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 PM

Default Clip+ Plus problem in hot weather?

I live in the desert and exercise in the evenings. It's often nearly 40c out (100f) even at night.

I've had two Clip+ players, and both have demonstrated the same problem: they work for about 20 minutes and then the sound stops. The display looks like a track is playing - all menus work, the song counter ticks along properly - but nothing comes out of the players. FM radio also doesn't work. Resetting/reflashing doesn't help. After a few hours in air conditioning they finally come back.

The problem seems worse when I put the players in my pocket, but I've even had them conk out on me with the players clipped to a belt.

All the while, my wife jogging alongside with her Ipod Nano mocks me: "How come *I* don't have that problem...?"

Is this a known thing, that Sansa Clip+ players can't handle hot weather?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 AM

Interesting observation, I’ve not read or experienced this before and it’s really hot where I live but probably not “desert” hot, although I’m still on the original Clip. I've used mine on and around the beach on some of the hottest days of the summer. If it’s still under warranty why not call in for RMA replacement. Then you can test if a replacement Clip behaves the same and please keep us updated …

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-18-2011, 11:59 AM

By any chance could sweat (thus salt) be making its way into the device?

Air conditioning results in cooler temperatures AND lower humidity.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlee View Post
All the while, my wife jogging alongside with her Ipod Nano mocks me: "How come *I* don't have that problem...?"
You have my sympathy!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
If it’s still under warranty why not call in for RMA replacement. Then you can test if a replacement Clip behaves the same and please keep us updated …
Not a bad idea. However, Player #1 - which regularly demonstrated this problem - eventually went through the wash, thereby killing it. Ipod-owning wife felt badly about her role in this, so suggested I go out and get a replacement. I didn't want to give up on the Clip yet - it works great, when it works! The replacement exhibited the very same problem the week I got it and the store gave me yet another. It too has the same fault. So that's 3 for 3.

And it's why I'm surprised no one else has reported this - it seems like an inherent issue with the Clip, if one is using it while exercising in the Arabian desert.

I've also tried it with and without Rockbox. No difference.

Quote:
By any chance could sweat (thus salt) be making its way into the device?

Air conditioning results in cooler temperatures AND lower humidity.
It could, but from my observations the player is pretty dry when this happens. Hot, yes, but not wet.

Quote:
You have my sympathy!
You'd be surprised how little mileage my retort "But mine runs Rockbox! Er... when it works..." gets with her.

Last edited by davlee; 10-18-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:31 PM

I've actually been in a dry sauna with my clip without it shutting off. But I did have it sitting in the middle of my towel to try to keep the heat away from it.

Wiki says it's typically between 70 C (158 F) and 100 C (212 F) in there. I was in there for 15 minutes and everything was fine.

Later on I will be going to the gym again and I'll update you on what happens.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Taking an mp3 player with a Lion battery into a sauna is not a good idea. The battery might explode!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Taking an mp3 player with a Lion battery into a sauna is not a good idea. The battery might explode!
So my sansa blew my penis off in the sauna, but good news! The clip didn't shut off before that .

I sat in there for 25 minutes with the clip right next to me until I could hear my pulse in my ears.

When I came out, the player felt pretty hot to the touch but did not turn off and was still playing my music. JK98 is right, the battery could maybe catch on fire so I won't be trying that again.

Not sure what's happening with your player davlee but a replacement would probably solve it.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:18 PM

I've used my Clip+ and V2 in 40C+ temps, often with 80+ humidity. I've never noticed any issues with it like you're experiencing. Perhaps a wipe and fresh install of the firmware might help?

(I use a rubber cover over my Clip)

Old 10-23-2011, 05:39 PM

Maybe the store you got them from just has a bad batch of players. It happens to other products where a person replaces an item at a store several times with the exact same problem occurring.

I've used my sansa clip+ for running with ~35 C weather for an hour or two a few days during the summer without any problem. Not sure if that counts because it's not as hot of a temperature you're running in and the temperature usually doesn't stay constantly that temperature.

But yeah, it might be worth contacting Sandisk and exchanging it from them. If you have actually discover a problem with the design of the clip+, they might be able to come up with a fix for it. You would have nothing to lose by doing so.

Last edited by nathan; 10-23-2011 at 05:48 PM.