android
  #1  
Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,523
Default SanDisk really does listen--let it know!

I just wanted to drop a short note to mention that SanDisk really does listen to users, as to audio player features and the like.

If you look at the Clip+, for example, it added folder navigation and a microSD slot, which users had suggested. And the Clip Zip, likewise as to a time-of-day indication, aac play, improved list navigation, menu customizability, a timer, a flush microSD card positioning, a sturdier clip, and enhanced battery power if you consider that the player now has a bigger and color screen.

I'm not saying that SanDisk wouldn't have made these additions but for customer suggestions (and pleas!). But my every impression is, the company in fact listens.

And so, the bottom line: make requests/suggestions known! A great place for this: at SanDisk's Clip Zip board. There even are threads there for this. I can't emphasize this enough. And a single request can be a drop in the bucket--many requests for a feature/change/etc. can be a torrent that gets more readibly noticed. Even just saying, "Me, too" can have an effect. It's all quick and easy.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Zip/bd-p/ClipZip

Of course, I wouldn't expect hardware suggestions to be enacted overnight (and the Clip Zip, the latest player, just issued). But SanDisk has had a custom of issuing out firmware upgrades on a not infrequent basis, especially early on with a player--if suggestions can be enacted to the firmware, and the easier the better, they could come about (and especially, it seems to me, with a new product). Such as, screen enhancements, as discussed elsewhere here, to add further what's playing info. (elapsed and remaining time, and current track no./total tracks info.).

This is not often the case with manufacturers--I greatly encourage people to take advantage of the opportunity.

'Nuf said. Now, go to it!
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 09-07-2011, 02:07 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
And the Clip Zip, likewise as to a time-of-day indication, aac play, improved list navigation, menu customizability, a timer, a flush microSD card positioning, a sturdier clip,
Well, the AAC play still needs some work, but yes, there will be more firmware updates to come. The other things you mention there, however, are all true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
and enhanced battery power if you consider that the player now has a bigger and color screen.
Nobody is going to believe this until someone does a teardown of one and we see a battery part number, I don't think.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 09-07-2011, 02:12 AM
bikertrash bikertrash is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 255
Default

Hey Marvin, I'd been considering a suggestion but the Zip came out so before I put it in would you tell me. On the Zip can you add a whole album to the playlist? On the + I can only add an individual song. I do miss my Zen because I could line up 4 or 5 albums and go. That's been the only thing I'd change on my + besides alphabet index which the Zip now has.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertrash View Post
Hey Marvin, I'd been considering a suggestion but the Zip came out so before I put it in would you tell me. On the Zip can you add a whole album to the playlist? On the + I can only add an individual song. I do miss my Zen because I could line up 4 or 5 albums and go. That's been the only thing I'd change on my + besides alphabet index which the Zip now has.
Do you mean the GoList? You can add a whole album to that, on both the Clip+ and the Clip Zip.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:10 AM
JK98 JK98 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,057
Default

So far Sandisk hasn't made a player with the main things I want. I want variable speed playback with pitch correction. i also want a player with a card slot that uses a standard easily swappable battery. I also want it to have 50+ hours of battery life(or 24+ hours for a tiny player like the Clip+). One other thing I really want is HD radio. Why HD radio? Not just for better sound quality, but also to be able to receive the AM talk and news stations that are simulcast on HD channels. I gave up trying to get AM radio on a player, but having HD radio would give the most important AM stations.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
So far Sandisk hasn't made a player with the main things I want. I want variable speed playback with pitch correction. i also want a player with a card slot that uses a standard easily swappable battery. I also want it to have 50+ hours of battery life(or 24+ hours for a tiny player like the Clip+). One other thing I really want is HD radio. Why HD radio? Not just for better sound quality, but also to be able to receive the AM talk and news stations that are simulcast on HD channels. I gave up trying to get AM radio on a player, but having HD radio would give the most important AM stations.
And you have certainly made these feature requests known, both here and in the SanDisk forum...no luck yet though.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,061
Default

I personally want a Sansa fuze+ w/a tactile control layout - TACTILE I say!!! Then I'm going Sandisk all the way!!!

Last edited by The DarkSide; 09-07-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,523
Default

Again, I say, SanDisk pays attention. I have read here at ABI that SanDisk follows posts here, but I also would post at SanDisk's own forums.
If something can be implemented, and especially if it is easy enough to do, and if SanDisk sees many people asking for the feature in its threads, it truly can have an impact. The current Clip Zip firmware is a prime example.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Zip/bd-p/ClipZip
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Well, the AAC play still needs some work, but yes, there will be more firmware updates to come. The other things you mention there, however, are all true.

Nobody is going to believe this until someone does a teardown of one and we see a battery part number, I don't think.
Yes, but, my point: people at the SanDisk boards suggested/requested the features, and here they are. As to the battery capacity, I meant, even with the new, relatively larger color screen in the Clip Zip, the player still is rated at the Clip/Clip+'s 15 hours. Again, SanDisk seemingly understanding user concerns made known to the company (and repeatedly) about the duration of the battery charge.

Again, not everything people want will be adopted/implemented (of course). But the company is listening, and may even be responding, to what it hears.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Yes, but, my point: people at the SanDisk boards suggested/requested the features, and here they are. As to the battery capacity, I meant, even with the new, relatively larger color screen in the Clip Zip, the player still is rated at the Clip/Clip+'s 15 hours. Again, SanDisk seemingly understanding user concerns about the duration of the battery charge.
Have you run any battery life tests?
There is a difference between the real world and the ratings. I won't use 128kbps files, but even with minimum backlight and brightness settings, and infrequent screen views, I did not match the rated figures. This is why I suggested waiting to see what the actual battery capacity is.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertrash View Post
Hey Marvin, I'd been considering a suggestion but the Zip came out so before I put it in would you tell me. On the Zip can you add a whole album to the playlist? On the + I can only add an individual song. I do miss my Zen because I could line up 4 or 5 albums and go. That's been the only thing I'd change on my + besides alphabet index which the Zip now has.
One thing I noted is, you indeed can add a whole album at a time to the GoList--a great feature for those of us who listen to CDs in sequential order and want to cue up more than 1. But to do so, you need to choose the albums under the Clip Zip's database option for albums--this doesn't seem to work under the folder view/navigation. But love the feature!
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 09-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Have you run any battery life tests?
Nope--just comparing SanDisk rating on the Clip+ to SanDisk rating on the Clip Zip. Again, regardless how close testing might show actual use to be to the ratings (and hopefully, it is close), SanDisk's ratings themelves demonstrate that SanDisk knows that this issue is important to the user. Including as made known to it, at its forums and otherwise, my point.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 AM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,412
Default

Mikerman, get a clue. Information gathering for those decisions happens at levels you don't understand if you believe that anyone needs to go there to make their opinions known. Sansa reads this board and anything that's posted here gets reviewed there. No need for anyone to go there to make their opinion known. Period.

What's posted there will probably have no more or less impact on corporate decision making than what's posted here. Those decisions are and will be based on much more than user requests. There may be some part of the weighting of the information gathering algorithm that increases or decreases by a factor(unknown to us)the weighting of information according to source. The information still gets there.

You posting this here may give someone the idea posting a feature request or opinion there will give that request more weight. Unless you are privy to Sandisk internal information you would have no way of knowing if it does or not. You qualifying your original post with a clearer understanding believe posting there helps would be helpful to dispel any doubt this is your opinion rather than a known factor.

Unless you really do have information that posting there does increase the value of the request? That you're willing to share?

BTW, on the whole "Sandisk Listens" concept, Fuze+
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 09-07-2011, 12:17 PM
WalkGood's Avatar
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 12,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
... Unless you really do have information that posting there does increase the value of the request? ... BTW, on the whole "Sandisk Listens" concept, Fuze+
I agree with the whole jest of your post and he should clarify, as for certain they didn’t listen to anyone regarding the Fuze + as you stated. I do know for a fact that in the past they use to have an employee on our forums and who knows if they still do. While they have listened to some requests and received opinions/feedback from EnzoTen, I do not believe that they pay attention to any one forum more than others. Also agree that if there’s enough clamoring about one specific issue on various forums it may have more weight to get into their revisions, in the end they do as they wish and we either buy their products or not …
__________________
WalkGood,
Ramón

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 09-07-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Mikerman, get a clue. Information gathering for those decisions happens at levels you don't understand if you believe that anyone needs to go there to make their opinions known. Sansa reads this board and anything that's posted here gets reviewed there. No need for anyone to go there to make their opinion known. Period.

What's posted there will probably have no more or less impact on corporate decision making than what's posted here. Those decisions are and will be based on much more than user requests. There may be some part of the weighting of the information gathering algorithm that increases or decreases by a factor(unknown to us)the weighting of information according to source. The information still gets there.

You posting this here may give someone the idea posting a feature request or opinion there will give that request more weight. Unless you are privy to Sandisk internal information you would have no way of knowing if it does or not. You qualifying your original post with a clearer understanding believe posting there helps would be helpful to dispel any doubt this is your opinion rather than a known factor.

Unless you really do have information that posting there does increase the value of the request? That you're willing to share?

BTW, on the whole "Sandisk Listens" concept, Fuze+
"Moderator"? Wow.

Great that SanDisk personnel may be looking at posts here; I heard that once in the past, and I'm not disputing it whatsoever. But, um, kinda natural (and as great as the ABI board is) for one also to suggest posting suggestions to SanDisk at its own board, which, um, SanDisk also might be monitoring.

I'm not quite sure why you're so vehement against the idea of posting ideas to SanDisk at its own board. And really, this all is derailing the thread and its point (sorry if the real point wasn't clear): simply to let SanDisk know.

Sad that SanDisk may not have been listening and acting as to the Fuze+ (I haven't really followed issues there--the Fuze+ wasn't for me). At times, manufacturers amaze (and wouldn't you like to be in charge?). But as to the issue whether SanDisk listens and acts (at least sometimes), please allow for the possibillity that someone else also may know--life is funny that way.

I'm more than happy to modify my original suggestion: post your suggestions for SanDisk wherever you think SanDisk will note the suggestions. Here, at SanDisk's boards, or maybe preferably, at both (I do). Based on what I have seen, SanDisk considers suggestions and inputs, and sometimes even acts on them; they really can help. (But of course, as noted above, it may not act as one might like--it owns the company.) But the point, in my mind and based on what I have seen, is to make the comments known.

And that's the "clue" I've got, Skip.

Now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming (and thread).
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 10-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,523
Default

Note that with SanDisk's release of its Clip Zip version 17 firmware upgrade, SanDisk, among other things, has added the EQ option to the music option submenu and also has programmed the ID3 database lists to ignore an initial "A" and "The"--both of which features had been requested by users (who knows if SanDisk would have made the changes regardless--but the user requests seemingly certainly didn't hurt.)

Hopefully, SanDisk will continue responding; many other worthy requests out there . . . .
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 10-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
and enhanced battery power if you consider that the player now has a bigger and color screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post

Nobody is going to believe this until someone does a teardown of one and we see a battery part number, I don't think.
Well, now we know.
On the Clip+ battery we saw the figures 1.07Wh and 290mAh http://anythingbutipod.com/2009/08/s...s-disassembly/

Now on the Clip Zip we can see 1.11Wh and 300mAh thanks to dfkt. http://img.elektrokrishna.com/images...5272451097.jpg

So I don't know if I'd go so far as to call that "enhanced battery power". Semantics? Perhaps....but enhanced battery power to me would mean a battery life rating greater than the previous model.....what we have here is an ever-so-slight bump to counteract the larger screen and the more accurate playback speed.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.