android
Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 PM

Default Upgrade Battery

I have been looking at the sansa clip+ but it seems to have pathetic battery life. Battery life is important to me because for various reasons I cannot often get near a charger. As a result of this I am wondering if I can upgrade the battery with a new one. I am not bad with a soldering iron so if it is possible I would like to do this.

I apologize for my horrible punctuation and writing style.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobo1618 View Post
I have been looking at the sansa clip+ but it seems to have pathetic battery life. Battery life is important to me because for various reasons I cannot often get near a charger. As a result of this I am wondering if I can upgrade the battery with a new one. I am not bad with a soldering iron so if it is possible I would like to do this.

I apologize for my horrible punctuation and writing style.
Welcome to ABi!
Your writing seems fine to me. Much better than quite a few long timers. I don't think you have a reason to apologize.

You probably can't upgrade the battery by soldering a new one in internally. Battery life is propotional to the size of the battery. There's just not much extra room to put a larger one in the tiny little Clip+. I've been wrong before on what can be done with a Clip so some one with more info may come along and give you a different spin on that.

Here's a link to where someone thought outside the case and was able to significantly increase the battery life of his Clip. It uses aaa batteries and might be something you would think about.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

10-15 hours per charge seems pretty fine to me.

Also, check out the Lenmar Powerport Mini external power supply; around $10-15 (Amazon.com has had them as low as $8) and the size of the Clip itself.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:32 PM

It isn't the size of the battery, its more like what the battery is made from. Certain types of battery may be heavier or lighter, but a AA isn't better than the internal memory of a Sansa. I'm planning on soldering in an iPod mini battery into mines in the near future, depends on how good the battery life on a v1 is.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:16 PM

Here is what I measure for the Sansa ClipPlus Battery, using a digital micrometer:

28.7mm wide
35 mm high
2.1 mm thick
3.7 Vdc
290mAh

The battery listed below would appear to fit, but best if you measure for yourself before ordering. I assume here that one is willing to replace the thick black adhesive foam with double-sided tape, which would be far thinner, and allow the extra thickness.

http://www.all-battery.com/TenergyLi...y-30191-0.aspx

3.7Vdc
680mAh
39(L) x 29(W) x 4(H)mm

More than double the MilliAmpHours is not so bad, either.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Just get an Eveready external battery pack with rechargable AAs. It'll still be fairly small and fit alright in your pocket. Either that or get a Fuze +, I hear firmware upgrades have corrected a lot of the problems with the touch pad.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertrash View Post
Just get an Eveready external battery pack with rechargable AAs. It'll still be fairly small and fit alright in your pocket. Either that or get a Fuze +, I hear firmware upgrades have corrected a lot of the problems with the touch pad.
I had my hands on a Fuze+ with the newest firmware for a couple of hours a few weeks ago. The touchpad is still erratic and sluggish. I couldn't advise buying one if you plan to use it on the go. You have to stop, concentrate on the DAP and use both hands to do even the simplest things.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You have to stop, concentrate on the DAP and use both hands to do even the simplest things.
Sounds awesome. Can you believe SanDisk's development team gave that touchpad monstrosity the thumbs up when it was in an even worse state than it is now?