android
Old 10-04-2011, 11:21 AM

Default Any Tips On Opening Clip+ Packaging:(?

Hello All,

I have just bought the 8gb Clip+ for the wife for her birthday, recieved it today and I have tried and failed to take it out the stupid plastic packaging, I want to upload latest firmware and some songs etc for her so she can use it from the box, but i can not get the bloody thing out that plastic it is incased in, i am so worried that if i cut the plastic i may also damage the player, i am now giving up and returning it to Amazon after cutting around all the plastic and still no where near to getting the player out, this is the most silliest and hard to get item i have ever bought, any suggestions before it is sent back ??

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Administrator

I haven't opened a new Clip+, mine are refurbs. I have however opened a Fuze+ and a older Clip from Sandisk. My experience has been there's no way to do it so it still looks pretty, but it's doable.

I found the best way for me was to take a pair of kitchen shears and cut off one side of the clamshell right at the edge just above where the two halves are joined together. That gives me the control not to slice myself open or damage the player. I usually just cut the whole thing off at the bottom. If you look carefully you may see a airspace that you want to cut across. Once that's done there's enough space to separate the plastic halves and get at the player.

Even then you have to be careful. The edges of the cut plastic shell will easily slice you open if you're not careful.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM

Use scissors, open package.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 PM

A wise man once told me:
Quote:
When force fails you, use brute force
He then took the stone 3 dudes were carrying between them, hoisted it onto his shoulder and shamed them all. My lieutenant was a great man.*

*Disclaimer: I am not advocating you use a large rock to open the packaging. A few careful cuts with a knife should suffice.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:46 PM

A scissors worked fine on my Clip Zip package.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This isn't brain surgery. Yes, the package is difficult to open, and might take several minutes to open. Don't try to open the package neatly, as that makes opening it much more difficult. I usually use a knife and cut the plastic packaging near the center, but not directly above the player or other contents. Then I lift up the flap with force and tear the package open. Being very destructive with the packaging is fine, as long as you don't damage the contents.

Last edited by JK98; 10-04-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:49 PM

I now can not sort out the firmware and put some songs on for the Wife because i can not put it back in the box to wrap for her birthday, that is terrible IMO, so the wife will not be able to use it straight out the box, big fail IMO

Old 10-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenpriest View Post
I now can not sort out the firmware and put some songs on for the Wife because i can not put it back in the box to wrap for her birthday, that is terrible IMO, so the wife will not be able to use it straight out the box, big fail IMO
Buy a microSDHC card and load it with some songs. Give it to her with the player. She can stick it in the card slot, and start using it immediately.

Are you expecting the player to be charged when you open the box? Fortunately for you, it will probably have a partial charge.

When I buy (receive) something electronic, I expect to have to charge it, modify some settings, and whatever else before use.

Steve

Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenpriest View Post
Being you cannot put it back into the original box, then not not get a case for it, then wrap it up?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Being you cannot put it back into the original box, then not not get a case for it, then wrap it up?
Or use any one of the other millions of boxes on the planet...

Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Charge the player for a long time (6 hours or so?) before using it the first time.
Charging it with a cell phone charger is faster than charging it via pc, and saves wear on the display. While charging with a cell phone charger the player can also be played.

Perhaps when it goes on sale you should get yourself a 4GB Clip+? Some of us can't resist buying an extra clip when these go on sale. All my Sandisk players are 4GB. The 8GB Clip+ rarely goes on sale, but the 4GB one goes on sale a few times a year. On sale the 4GB Clip+ is half the price of the 8GB. Let's see if there will be some nice sales around Thanksgiving.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Charge the player for a long time (6 hours or so?) before using it the first time.
Overkill, really....even from a very low battery percentage, it wouldn't take more than three hours to charge fully, unless charging from a low-power source.

Quote:
Charging it with a cell phone charger is faster than charging it via pc, and saves wear on the display. While charging with a cell phone charger the player can also be played.
These are good points.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Overkill, really....even from a very low battery percentage, it wouldn't take more than three hours to charge fully, unless charging from a low-power source.

These are good points.
Normally a charge is less than 3 hours, but keeping it connected extra long the first time seems like a good idea. On a few electronic devices I have the instructions specified charging double the normal maximum charge time before the first use.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Normally a charge is less than 3 hours, but keeping it connected extra long the first time seems like a good idea. On a few electronic devices I have the instructions specified charging double the normal maximum charge time before the first use.
That's odd... General rule of thumb is that you treat the first charge the same as the hundredth...

Old 10-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I've never seen this anywhere.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Buy a microSDHC card and load it with some songs. Give it to her with the player. She can stick it in the card slot, and start using it immediately.

Are you expecting the player to be charged when you open the box? Fortunately for you, it will probably have a partial charge.

When I buy (receive) something electronic, I expect to have to charge it, modify some settings, and whatever else before use.

Steve
Short of opening the box, the above is probably the best solution. Good call FreeZ5!

And yeah, how much charge is in the battery is anybodies guess. I seem to recall that lithium ion and lithium polymer do best when neither totally full or totally empty so it would be reasonable for there to be some sort of charge in it. Still there is no way to know for sure.

If you want it ready to use you could unpackage it, make it ready and come up with some creative way of presenting it to her.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
If you want it ready to use you could unpackage it, make it ready and come up with some creative way of presenting it to her.
Evidently she's not worth all that.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 AM

Get a separate box for it. The best option will be to buy her an earphone with comes with a nice case. Those cases usually have enough spaces in them to put in a Clip zip. I am using a MEElectronics case and my clip zip fits in easily along with my DBA-02. AFAIK, the Sound Magic ones are even better and are available for around $1.5.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:48 PM

As for opening the package, I found getting a large knife( at least 12" ) and pretending to be Jason of Friday the 13th and just slashing the hell out of the package not only release my player, but got rid of a fair amount of stress.