android
Old 09-24-2011, 07:56 PM

Default Clip Zip or Clip Plus

I'm looking for an mp3 player to motivate me to exercise and I've been looking at the Sansa Clip plus and Clip Zip.

I'm an inactive person and haven't exercised for awhile. My exercise program will limited to increasingly long walks. I used to listen to audio books on a CD player but I want something that's more convenient and won't suffer from disk problems. I plan to listen mainly to audio books but I'd also be interested in music, podcasts and FM radio. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

First, it seems difficult to find a Clip Zip to purchase. Amazon seems to have pulled it off the website and it's not present at any of my local stores (Best Buy, Radio Shack, Target, etc). Is there any particular reason for this? Is there something wrong with the Clip Zip? At some point is it going to become widely available in the US?

Second, if I can't buy the Clip Zip, will the Clip Plus meet my needs? They don't seem to be all that different, functionally.

Third, I understand that the Clip Zip can play some files from Itunes. Can the Clip Plus play these files?

Fourth, I've heard some negative things about the clip breaking off the Clip Plus. Is the clip better on the Clip Zip?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Stanton View Post
I'm looking for an mp3 player to motivate me to exercise and I've been looking at the Sansa Clip plus and Clip Zip.

I'm an inactive person and haven't exercised for awhile. My exercise program will limited to increasingly long walks. I used to listen to audio books on a CD player but I want something that's more convenient and won't suffer from disk problems. I plan to listen mainly to audio books but I'd also be interested in music, podcasts and FM radio. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

First, it seems difficult to find a Clip Zip to purchase. Amazon seems to have pulled it off the website and it's not present at any of my local stores (Best Buy, Radio Shack, Target, etc). Is there any particular reason for this? Is there something wrong with the Clip Zip? At some point is it going to become widely available in the US?

Second, if I can't buy the Clip Zip, will the Clip Plus meet my needs? They don't seem to be all that different, functionally.

Third, I understand that the Clip Zip can play some files from Itunes. Can the Clip Plus play these files?

Fourth, I've heard some negative things about the clip breaking off the Clip Plus. Is the clip better on the Clip Zip?

Thanks for your help.
1. N/A anywhere except SELECTED USA locations. IE Best Buy. Give Sandisk and the retailers some time. The ZIP will show up in stores sooner or later.

2. Clip+ sure. it's just fine.

3. iTunes..not with Clip+

4. The Zip is a very new product. I believe that one review said that the clip appeared to be better, but really only time will tell. Ask this Q again in 6-9 mpnths. BTW, the clip on my Clip+ is still just fine.

Steve

Old 09-25-2011, 04:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You can get one directly from Sandisk

i have both players and they are great for exercising . I just clip them to my collar and tuck the headphone cord down my shirt.

They have them on the best buy website and you can order one there and have them ship it to your local store for pickup

Old 09-25-2011, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the advice. It looks like the Clip Zip is superior to the Clip Plus because of its improved interface, better radio (so I've read) and better clip.

I'm concerned about battery life. DGB52, since you have both players have you noticed whether the Clip Zip has a shorter battery life than the Clip Plus? It seems to me that the Zip's LCD screen would be more of a battery drain than the OLED screen of the Clip Plus.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Clip Zip should be back at Amazon, being sold by Amazon, shortly--was pulled because some wrong USB cables got put in the packages, which now are being replaced.

As to iTunes: the Clip Zip will play non-DRM aac files from iTunes, The Clip+ won't. But if you use iTunes to export (through conversion--not the best way, for audio fidelity) your non-DRM aac files in MP3 format, they can be played on the Clip+.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 PM

I just ordered one from Newegg.com today, I hope it is available for shipment immediatly. It didn't say otherwise. Does anyone know?
S

Old 09-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You should read the Sandisk website message boards. some who have both players prefer the Clip+ since it gives more song information and is Rockboxable. At times you can get a 4GB Clip+ on sale for as little as $30.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Cl...p/clipplusclip

Old 09-26-2011, 12:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. It looks like the Clip Zip is superior to the Clip Plus because of its improved interface, better radio (so I've read) and better clip.

I'm concerned about battery life. DGB52, since you have both players have you noticed whether the Clip Zip has a shorter battery life than the Clip Plus? It seems to me that the Zip's LCD screen would be more of a battery drain than the OLED screen of the Clip Plus.

To be honest i do not track battery life on my players, if i had to guess i would say at least around 10 hrs or so for both

Old 09-26-2011, 04:36 AM

Right now I'd probably still stick with the Clip+, for the sole reason of a functional Rockbox port. That one plays MP4 audio files just fine, too, plus runtime is better than the OF's when playing some formats like Vorbis and FLAC or using a SD card.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:30 PM

keep an eye out on slickdeals. i got my clip+ for $23 total. i got the 4gb version but i already had a spare 8gb micro sd card when i upgraded the card in my phone. it doesn't do cover art but it does have a rockbox port. honestly i like cover art when listening to music but it's not nescessary. i like you don't excercise much but I do enjoy a nice long walk and it's nice for clipping on your belt and listening to podcasts. it has become my main mp3 player since i got it. does the clip zip have a better clip? i sometimes worry about the clip unclipping from my pants pocket but i would notice if my music stopped playing so it's not that big of a deal.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:35 PM

I decided to go with the Clip Zip (blue), which I ordered directly from SanDisk. I was able to get a 10% discount, which paid for the shipping. I have a 4GB SanDisk micro SD card so I should have enough storage for my needs. Hopefully I won't have any problems once it arrives.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 AM

Congrats and enjoy - good choice. Doubt you should have any problems, but if you do ... you know where to come for advice

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyb_gr View Post
Right now I'd probably still stick with the Clip+, for the sole reason of a functional Rockbox port. That one plays MP4 audio files just fine, too, plus runtime is better than the OF's when playing some formats like Vorbis and FLAC or using a SD card.
It looks like the Zip won't take much effort to Rockbox, from the very limited knowledge I have. I know nothing about these things. But, it looks like there are only a few hardware differences, so my guess is the port will happen quickly.

I still ended up buying another Clip+ today though. If I bought a Zip, the missus would notice, and I'd have to buy her something as well.

I just like the Clip+ screen better and I can play around with making Rockbox themes until Xmas. Maybe then, I can get a ZIp without the wife getting upset.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 PM

Is the color screen on the Zip any harder to read outdoors than the Clip+? I like the bright oled screen on the clip+. Mine has a few scratches over the screen but I don't notice them when reading the display.

Tim

Old 09-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Personally, I think the bright neon color of the Clip+ is easier to read outdoors, but the font for album info. on the Clip Zip is larger than on the Clip+, making the Clip Zip a trifle easier to read for me.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 AM

Default Clip Zip or Clip+

The Clip+ uses a unique display, a full color OLED I believe. You can observe the screen at some serious oblique angles with NO change in contrast, a characteristic unique to viewing a color LCD via the requisite front polarizer.

This display is not quite as "snappy" in bright light as the venerable blue Clip+ display when viewed in bright sunlight, but it is quite legible.

I use both models when outdoors, in direct sunlight. Both fare reasonably well. The Clip+ is a little better in direct sunlight, if acuity is your need when on the go- it's a subtle trade-off.

As for codec support, the new Zip is compatible with the new DRM-free iTunes format.

Bob

Old 10-04-2011, 06:41 AM

I'm really liking my Clip Zip so far. Build quality is better than I expected and sound quality is fine. The menus are logically laid out and easy to use. The LCD screen works well and the font is large enough so that I can read the screen in all lighting conditions.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I'm really liking my Clip Zip so far. Build quality is better than I expected and sound quality is fine. The menus are logically laid out and easy to use. The LCD screen works well and the font is large enough so that I can read the screen in all lighting conditions.

Congrats on your purchase of the Zip , i love mine

Old 10-06-2011, 03:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Zip really is a nice little player...way better than a Clip+ if both are running the Sansa firmware. Of course, Rockbox on the Clip+ changes everything.....right now I think I use them both equally.