android
Old 06-18-2011, 09:40 AM

Default Album Covers

I received my J3 yesterday and I am absolutely in love with this thing. I wanted to be a good boy with this so I decided to carefully tag and format my songs using winamp. After transferring the songs to the J3 I've noticed that a lot of my songs have no album covers. What am I doing wrong?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-18-2011, 09:57 AM

What type of music files do you have? MP3? FLAC? APE? These are the types of files officially supported by Cowon for tags, and imbedded art in these tags. I believe OGG files are also supported, with OGG Comments tags (aka FLAC tags) and presumably imbedded art.

Album art is also supported on the J3 as external files in "album folders", if those files have the name "cover.jpg". In other words, you don't need to imbed art in the tags of files if you don't want to. Instead, you can just put a single "cover.jpg" in an album folder in which music files are placed presmably for that album. Whenever any music file in that album folder is played, that "cover.jpg" is displayed.

What firmware release is your J3 running? You should be using either 2.23 or 2.25, but not 2.21, 2.22 or 2.24.

Is there any pattern or consistency in which music files do not produce the album art in player?

Old 06-18-2011, 01:05 PM

I have a mix of MP3 and FLAC. In winamp the cover appears for each song and the cover is also included in the album folder. The really strange thing is when I transfer individual songs from the same album to my J3 some will have the cover included and others won't. It doesn't seem to matter if the file is MP3 or FLAC. I'm running the latest firmware, 2.25. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:39 AM

So I went in and added the album art to each folder and renamed it "cover" as you said and everything is good. thanks so much for the help DSperber!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwiggles2k3 View Post
So I went in and added the album art to each folder and renamed it "cover" as you said and everything is good. thanks so much for the help DSperber!
Glad that this tip solved the problem. Album art image files in an album folder must have that name... "cover.jpg". This will absolutely handle all music files that do NOT have imbedded album art inside of their tags. And of course, you can even have NONE of your music files with imbedded album art in their tags, as long as you have "cover.jpg" in each album folder.

However it's still not fully explained why this was necessary, because you said you'd placed imbedded album art inside of tags at least on some of your music files. I would have expected those music files to display album art when you played them, even if the other music files that didn't have imbedded art of course wouldn't display anything... if you did not have "cover.jpg" in their album folders until now. Might these have been "progressive JPG" images? I believe that "progressive JPG" images do not display properly on the J3. But if they were "standard JPG", I don't know why they would not have displayed successfully.

Anyway, I'm glad you seem to have gotten this straightened out, and are now seeing album art when you play music files.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Bump.

So you have to go through 30-40GB of music, search the cover on the internet, save/download the album art to your computer, name it as "cover.jpg", and finally transfer it to the specific music folder?

I've been doing that for the last two hours and I'm only on T (I started from Z as I always do).

Old 09-17-2011, 07:26 AM

Correct. Of course this is a one-time project for any music collector, if you've never accumulated album art before.

Yes, it's a slow process assuming you're interested in high-quality art. But you won't have to do it again.

Just for comparison, I have about 6700 music files (1100 FLAC, 5600 MP3) adding up to 60GB, from 1050 CD's (so I have 1050 "cover.jpg" album covers). Took a long time to make all of these music files myself from my CD collection, as well as to download (or scan if necessary) album art.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:24 PM

I had to do it with my Samsung P3 two years ago. I used Mp3Tag to tag all 32GB of it. It worked fine. I then tagged the original files using Mp3Tag and TagScanner with the album art and correct file information in anticipation of buying a new pmp eventually. Of course, in typical "life" style, the Cowon doesn't seem to accept genuine tagging. Some of it was working, though, and I couldn't figure out why they were and others weren't.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
.Of course, in typical "life" style, the Cowon doesn't seem to accept genuine tagging. Some of it was working, though, and I couldn't figure out why they were and others weren't.
Don't be too hasty here... the J3 accepts either (a) imbedded standard non-progressive JPG album art in tags, put there by MP3Tag or other competent player/utility, or (b) external non-progressive JPG album art in a folder with a file name of "cover.jpg".

If some of your album art is not displaying, I suspect there is some other explanation.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:13 PM

That's what I mean. There is a separate complication than what my previous Samsung P3 had. If every player had the same problem then we'd all have a consistent way to overcome them, which is simply tagging them with Mp3Tag or something of similar ilk.

But the player is leaps and bounds over my Samsung, and I thought that was a modern player still. The screen is pathetic now, in comparison to the J3, and the sound is not as nice either. The J3 has so many options but always sounds clear and warm.