android
Old 08-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Help Headphone Advice!

Hello, newbie to the forum here. I was using a pair of sony ear-phones and they broke recently. I don't even know the model of these ear-phones but I'm interested in learning more about ear-phones and getting something better rather that what they just have on the shelf at best-buy.

I am a student so I have a very small budget. $20 - $40 please don't recommend anything that is close to $40 unless it really is a steal. Please don't recommend anything over $40 because I won't buy them anyway.

Price Rage: Under $40 (US Dollars)

Type / Design: ear-phones (in ear) or ear-buds, NOT headphones

Open Style: I study in a quiet office, tthey need to be unheard by others

Closed Style: I occasionally walk with my player so they need to cancel street noise

Circumaural: I want ear-phones Don't think this applies

Supra-aural: Again, ear-phones here.

Primary Location of use: Mostly in a quiet office. Occasionally walking down suburban streets.

Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: I am not crazy about bass like most people my age. I care mostly about good balance between all pitches.

Media: I listen to everything from the red hot chili peppers to Beethoven. I love the chili peppers because of their bassist (flea). I need to hear the bass guitar. I do not need my ears to bleed from the bass drum. Again, balance of the pitches in important to me. I want to hear as much of the recording as possible with nothing being over-emphasized. The audio is all .ogg at 192Kbps or 160Kbps if that matters.

Source: Cowon S9. This a portable media player with an amoled screen. The battery lasts 55 hours when listening to music which is why I love it so. It's rather quiet unfortunately. Standard 1/8" stereo headphone jack. It also has bluetooth so bluetooth headphones are welcome for consideration!

Thank you for the recommendations / advice / suggestions and help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 PM

if low cost is what you need, look at the jvc marshmallows and do the kramer mod. You should be able to pick up a pair for around $15 or so.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As you're new here, I'm not sure if you know to stay away from SkullCandy yet...

But, particularly at low prices, they have some really crappy ear buds. Don't waste your money on them. Go with the JVC Marshmallows that WalkGood suggests. The Kramer Mod may be difficult for you because I don't know if you have a lot of foam/other headphones lying around that you can cut up, though you should Google it and look into it.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

meelectronics cc51 from sears.com for $39.99....and yes its a steal from what I hear. Other than that, go with a meelectronics M9 or M6 from newegg or amazon. Marshmallows are good but for a few bucks more either the m6 for $21.99 or m9 for $17.99 is much better IMHO. I have owned a marshmallow and the m6. The m6 goes over the ear so I kind of lean towards the m9 for most recommendations. It has the traditional fit.

I do like the marshmallows and the JVC aircushions so it stands to reason the microHD drivers would be good too. and the sound signature may be more up your alley.

Or you could buy the Klipsch S4s in my FS thread

Last edited by IDvsEGO; 08-03-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
meelectronics cc51 from sears.com for $39.99 ...
Over budget from what he said in irc but good deal, for others looking at the mee's, the A151 balanced armatures are on great price at newegg.com for $44.99 here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

yeah, I am contemplating between those 2. I ended up selling almost all of my stuff so I need a $40ish set as well. One set to rule them all kind of...at least until I get through the next couple of months, then its game on again.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:14 PM

Yuin PK-2.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:16 AM

Dunu trident?

edit: O cool. didn't notice the date.

Tags
advice, earbuds, earphones, headphones