android
Old 09-02-2011, 04:49 PM

Default Cowon J3 will not update firmware

My J3 arrived today and I have had a staggering amount of problems with it.

Most importantly, it will not update the firmware. I need to get MTP mode to enable Last FM scrobbling, I use 3.21 right now since that's what came with it. I downloaded and unzipped 2.26 from the website and pasted it into the roo folder of the J3 when the battery was full and removed it safely - EXACTLY what Cowon tells me to do - and nothing happens! It just boots up normally and completely ignores the new files pasted on.

Going to system settings and selecting DB update doesn't do anything either, it just stays at 3.21 and refuses to acknowledge any changes and will not update at all. Help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-02-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBThazard View Post
My J3 arrived today and I have had a staggering amount of problems with it.

Most importantly, it will not update the firmware. I need to get MTP mode to enable Last FM scrobbling, I use 3.21 right now since that's what came with it. I downloaded and unzipped 2.26 from the website and pasted it into the roo folder of the J3 when the battery was full and removed it safely - EXACTLY what Cowon tells me to do - and nothing happens! It just boots up normally and completely ignores the new files pasted on.

Going to system settings and selecting DB update doesn't do anything either, it just stays at 3.21 and refuses to acknowledge any changes and will not update at all. Help!
If your J3 has an international version of firmware on it (i.e. 3.21), you need to update it with the same international flavor of firmware (i.e. 3.26).

COWON J3 Global v2.26: here
COWON J3 standard Korean V1.26: here
COWON J3 DMB V3.26: here
COWON J3 bokan V4.26: here

Old 09-02-2011, 05:07 PM

Thank you, I'm downloading 3.26 now.

Let me ask a somewhat unrelated question, will 3.26 give me MTP mode? Because with my current 3.21 hardware, going to system settings does not show an option for usb mode or MTP mode, so I have no idea how to put my player into MTP mode.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:18 PM

MTP/MSC is reached from Settings -> System -> USB mode.

I know nothing about the 3.xx firmware since I use the 2.xx version here in the USA. But certainly Settings -> System -> USB mode has ALWAYS been available, even on my original 2.03 version present on my J3 when originally purchased. And obviously it's still present in the latest 2.26.

Note that while MTP mode maybe needed for your scrobbling issue, MTP mode does NOT get Windows drive letters assigned. This makes it very cumbersome to maintain the J3's internal and external storage as almost all programs (with the notable exception of Windows Explorer itself) cannot operate without having access to a Windows drive letter.

So my recommendation would be to go to MTP mode only as long as you must be there, and then to return to MSC mode for your normal ongoing file maintenance work. This will let you use 100% of Windows players, organizers, tag maintainers, utilities, etc., on the J3's "drive letters".

And don't forget about the special MUST DO when maintaining your J3 (or any other removable device, actually) while in MSC mode: when you're done, ALWAYS be sure to "safely remove hardware" (aka "eject") the Cowon J3 by right-clicking on the object in the System Tray. Only then when you see the "it is now safe to remove..." message appear, can you now pull the USB cable from the PC. This procedure guarantees that all data to be written to the removable device is flushed out from PC buffers, and is just something that goes along with MSC connection mode.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:21 PM

The upgrade worked, thank you very much, but I still do not see MTP/MSC. How EXACTLY do I access it? Because many people have told me the same thing so I always suspected I needed to get a 2.xx firmware.

I go to settings, then system, and here are all my options:

hold mode
sleep mode
beep
audio l/r
speaker
database update
load defaults
information

Nothing about MTP mode at all. Do I have to connect to my PC to do it? Do I need the 2.xx firmware, and if so do you know how I can switch from 3.26 to 2.26? I live in Canada so I don't know why I use this one.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:29 PM

I'm afraid I'm not an expert on what the differences between DMB vs. global firmware are, nor how/why a J3 would come that way.

Could have something to do with the source you bought it from.

Others might be able to explain what they really are, and if it's possible to actually change your device's firmware (but I would doubt it, since likely it matches with the hardware of that same "flavor").

Anyway, in my 2.26 firmware, between "speaker" and "database update" are two more items:

USB mode
Clear WMDRM10 li(st?)

I have no idea why these are not shown on the DMB version of the firmware.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:33 PM

I ordered my Cowon from a South Korean dealer off of ebay. Where did you buy yours?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Default How to get MTP mode

My Cowon J3 came in today, purchased off of a Korean ebay dealer, and it came with 3.21 firmware, I updated it to 3.26, and there is absolutely no MTP mode anywhere, and one of the main reasons I bought this was so I could scrobble my tracks by going into MTP mode with qtScrobbler.

Does anybody know if I could somehow get MTP mode put onto my Cowon, perhaps by somehow switching to 2.26 firmware?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Administrator

--Your second thread with the same subject has been added to this thread. Please don't multi post the same question.--

You have the ability to edit the subject of a thread you start in the Edit> Go advanced Menu. That way any efforts to help you won't wind up scattered in different threads.

I just checked at our sister site iAudiophile and I see several mentions of various versions of the J3 firmware. I didn't look closely enough to see a solution to your problem but you may find more help there. Good Luck.

Last edited by skip252; 09-02-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBThazard View Post
My Cowon J3 came in today, purchased off of a Korean ebay dealer
Well, there's your answer I suppose.

I bought mine through JetAudio here in the US. Actually, it was through Amazon but fulfilled by JetAudio. JetAudio is actually Cowon's retail persona here.

It came with "global" (i.e. USA) firmware.

Quote:
and it came with 3.21 firmware, I updated it to 3.26, and there is absolutely no MTP mode anywhere, and one of the main reasons I bought this was so I could scrobble my tracks by going into MTP mode with qtScrobbler.
I myself don't use this functionality, and therefore do not go into MTP mode.

But I was unaware the DMB version did not support MSC/MTP mode, as you seem to have demonstrated. Certainly this is a problem for you if you must use MTP mode for scrobbling.

No way to return the purchase to the seller in exchange for a US-model?

Quote:
Does anybody know if I could somehow get MTP mode put onto my Cowon, perhaps by somehow switching to 2.26 firmware?
I have no idea. You might ask that specific question in this ABI forum or better still over in the iaudiophile.net forum on firmware (which is the Cowon users forum).

You might contact CowonAmerica, which is their support operation here, and ask them your question. You can also ask them for assistance on this matter, but if it simply cannot be done well then that's unfortunate. Maybe sell it and buy a US model that supports MTP, if there's simply no way to convert your 3.xx J3 to use the 2.xx firmware.

Anyway, go to the CowonAmerica web site (notice the JetAudio logo), register (they'll send you an email with an "activation link", and then you're ok), and then "submit a ticket". They will respond promptly... they're very good, and they're English-speakers here in the US.