android
Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 PM

Default Worth Upgrading to a Clip Zip From a Clip+?

I'm sporting a 4GB Sansa Clip+, with a 16GB microSD in it that just holds my music collection. I was surprised by the announcement of the Clip Zip, and I'm thinking of upgrading to the 8GB, but my Clip+ still works, and I'm wondering if this is enough of an upgrade to replace it. When my microSD card runs out of memory, it'll be good to have some memory on the main device to catch the spill-over. Right now, though, it's filled with audiobooks, which is kind of annoying (another thing I like is the separate menu item for audiobooks, because it being a "Music" submenu is a little annoying). Is there more than just memory and a bigger screen to make this a great leap forward?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-01-2011, 03:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Really, I see it as a bunch of convenience factors: album art, aac support, time-of-day, timer (with lap timer), alphabet scrolling in lists, flush microSD card fit, FM radio station call letters and song info. (where supported), menu customizability, and other smaller factors.

At the same time, note that there are some limited things that have been dropped: mostly, track info. on the what's playing screen. (However, items could come back in firmware upgrades.)

You might want to look through the various reviews of the Clip Zip to see if there's enough there to make you want to get one at this time. There's a separate post here with a link.

Unless you want the new player for album art or aac file support, I wonder if you might want to get a 32GB microSD card for your current player instead. In my experience, more space always gets used. And you always could use the card in a Clip Zip if you later decide to get one.

Of course, new gadgets always are fun.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
...I wonder if you might want to get a 32GB microSD card for your current player instead. In my experience, more space always gets used. And you always could use the card in a Clip Zip if you later decide to get one.
^+1
I also think the larger memory card may be a better use of your money right now. If you keep your eye open for deals there are genuine name brand 32GB cards out there for ~$45. You'll likely get more use out of that memory than the minor enhancements in the CZ. And you can always get a CZ further down the line, when maybe there will be further enhancements like more on internal memory. I'd get the most you can out of your Clip+ investment first. Perhaps wait until it's battery life depletes then get a CZ.

Last edited by Pennhaven; 09-01-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Depends on how much you want the zip and the extra space. You are paying the price of the player for 4 GB of extra storage and some minor updates.

For my money I would not upgrade. I'd work the stuff you have now into the ground and reevaluate when something breaks. If your memory fills up.... delete something you do not listen to that often.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Depends on how much you want the zip and the extra space. You are paying the price of the player for 4 GB of extra storage and some minor updates.

For my money I would not upgrade. I'd work the stuff you have now into the ground and reevaluate when something breaks. If your memory fills up.... delete something you do not listen to that often.
This makes sense to me. Granted, I have multiple players, but I've found that even though my MP3 folder is 112GB, that if I just put my current heavy rotation music on a player, then an 8GB player with a 16GB card is enough for that.

So for the OP, your current collection all fits on your 4GB Clip+ with 16GB card....think about your stuff, do you really listen to every song? Or are there songs that you always skip over? If so, remove the ones like that from the player and leave them on your computer at home, and you'll have room for something new when you get it.

Then again, maybe you just want a second player.....you'll have to think about what you're really looking to get. I remember trying to justify the need for a second player once.....and look how many I have now!

Old 09-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

+3 ... unless new gadget is important

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 PM

Omg I waste so much money and I cant stop. I recommend buying the zip with a 32gb card

Old 09-01-2011, 03:24 PM

One thing I'm worried about keeping my Clip+ is that putting a 32GB card in it would probably mean it will take a painfully long time to load it up. It takes at least 10 minutes to reload my 16GB card when I put on a new song or two, and it seems to me that the newer Zip would be designed to better accommodate the larger card.

Also, that full album art screen may be worth the initial investment, since that little OLED screen is becoming increasingly more annoying to read. My Clip+ tends to be clipped to my pants pocket, and it can be hard to read the screen from that distance, especially in daylight. Being able to take a quick glimpse of some album art would definitely be easier. Plus, a separate "Book" option on the menu is great; it's annoying to have to go into the "Music" menu and then the "Audiobooks" option.

I think I'll get the 8GB Zip for now, and when my 16GB card hits its limit (which may not be for a while), I'll upgrade to the 32.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If it takes at least 10 minutes to refresh, then your tags are cluttered...read this thread for more info on how to speed things up.http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=57248

Look at my refresh times to see what you could look forward to....http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showpost.php?p=571366&postcount=149