android
Old 08-30-2011, 03:19 AM

Talking J3 Micro SD Expansion Question

Hi All,

I considered to buy a Cowon J3, I have a questions here

When they say MicroSD card expansion upto 32 GB Did they mean

Say I have a 16Gb version of J3 and I add 32 GB MicroSD along
will i hence get a total of 16GB+32GB of Storage ??

If anybody did such a thing, can you let me know how responsive it is to navigate the files and etc on the player, is it sluggish or crawls when the J3 is on its limits ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prads.cs View Post
When they say MicroSD card expansion upto 32 GB Did they mean

Say I have a 16Gb version of J3 and I add 32 GB MicroSD along
will i hence get a total of 16GB+32GB of Storage ??
Exactly.

Quote:
If anybody did such a thing, can you let me know how responsive it is to navigate the files and etc on the player, is it sluggish or crawls when the J3 is on its limits ?
I would say the large majority of J3 users take advantage of the external SD card slot and have thus increased the storage capacity of the J3 that they purchased. I myself have a 32GB+32GB=64GB setup, and I would guess that many others have the same.

As far as any effect from having files on both internal and external storage, there's no effect at all. It's like having two hard drives in your computer. The software simply knows which drive letter to access, to get to a music file located on either internal or external storage. There's an in-memory directory/index and database of tags, for all of your music files. The CPU in the J3 is strong enough so that access time to music files is essentially instant.

The only consequence of a large number of music files involves files stored on the external SD card. These are scanned at power-on cold boot time by the J3 (though they are NOT scanned at power-on from "sleep mode"), and this may take about an extra 30-seconds if you have near the 8,000 files which are allowed on the card. If you have fewer files on the SD card the cold boot time is that much faster. But again, this is a one-time effect and if you simply put your J3 to "sleep" during the day, then power-on from "sleep" will be 1-3 seconds.

The J3 sounds glorious, supports up to 64GB for music and video files, and has a gorgeous AMOLED screen.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:52 AM

Welcome to abi, hope you enjoy the site and I would recommend you read the J3 review and look around the cowon j3 forum ...

Quote:
... Say I have a 16Gb version of J3 and I add 32 GB MicroSD along will i hence get a total of 16GB+32GB of Storage?
= 48GB of storage

Quote:
can you let me know how responsive it is to navigate the files and etc on the player, is it sluggish or crawls when the J3 is on its limits?
I don't own the J3, other cowon players, but if you read the responses in the J3 forums you'll note that it is a very responsive player.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc