android
Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 PM

Default Sansa Clip+ static noise / "skipping" while charging in-car...?

Hey folks!

Just a quick question! I have an FM transmitter in my car with a USB charging plug which I used to use with my Zen V with no issues at all. I would plug in the headphone cable to transmit to my stereo and it would charge as I drove with the USB cable plugged into it.

Now....earlier today, on my way to work, I decided to try this with my brand new (as in I bought it yesterday) Sansa Clip+. It works flawlessly doing anything else, including when I am running it on battery / using the headphone jack on the FM transmitter plugged in in my car while driving. However, the second I plug in the USB cable to start charging it while playing music from it, it starts making a static noise transmit through the FM transmitter rather than the music....the player indicates it is charging as it should be, but all I hear instead of my music is the static-y-ness. Now, I know it's not just static because I can partially hear the music through it...but it's not JUST static because the music I do hear amongst the static is skipping and clicking....

Not sure if that description made any sense, but it's rather hard to describe...anybody had any ideas? I know it has to be something with the player because it worked flawlessly with my Zen V...would a firmware update do anything to fix this or is it a design flaw...? (I haven't had a chance to check if I have the most recent firmware as I was at work all day)

I do have a wall USB A/C adapter that I will try with later and see if it does the same thing, but I don't think it will.

Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks for any help!

EDIT - Just checked with the USB A/C wall adapter...no hissing/static/skipping/etc....seems to only happen with the in-car transmitter...?

Last edited by Darkstrike; 08-26-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It is interference from the car's electronics. The usb cable acts as an intenna for this interference. Try using a very short power only usb cable, or a very short usb cable with a choke.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:44 PM

Hi,

I actually got around this problem by using a new cable with a choke, and it transmitted / charged fine....

HOWEVER, now I have a different, but similar problem. I now have a different car, and, as it now has an "Aux" input on the dash, I no longer have to use my FM transmitter, so I have a simple USB car charger instead and a cable for the "Aux" in jack into my stereo....problem is, I'm now getting the same clicking and no music sound when doing that.

So, with my Clip charging from the charger and plugged in to Aux, I get the clicking, with it plugged in to Aux but NOT charging, I can hear the music fine....the weird part is, I'm using the same choked cable I was with my FM transmitter, so if I use my FM Transmitter, as with in my other car, it will now charge and transmit over FM just fine, but if I just charge it from the FM Transmitter, as with the USB charger, but have it plugged into Aux, it still does the clicking now...?

I prefer using Aux as it gives me better sound quality than the transmitter, but it's a pain that I can't charge it and listen at the same time...

Sorry about the convoluted explanation, but does anybody have any other ideas?

Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I had a similar issue but got around it by using a different model of car charger--the second one did not have the same hum-inducing issue.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:48 AM

That's the weird thing, I've tried using my FM Transmitter as JUST a car charger as well - it's fine while charging when transmitting wirelessly, but if I try to charge my Clip from it while my Clip is plugged in to Aux, THEN it makes the weird clicking....makes little sense to me! I guess I could go buy a 3rd charger? :S