android
Old 08-23-2011, 01:45 PM

Default IEB, I just don't understand...

Not a new member, my account seems to be deleted so had to make the same one, I think.

I've tried IEB many times and recently because of the editor's pick bought a pair of Hippo VBs, mainly because of supposedly better bass While the music is clear and louder these are definitely not the best sounding headphones for $80. I simply cannot understand the review or the rave about them now.

For comparison, I tried over and over again against my favorite Koss KSC75 which I stocked up when they were on sale for $3 each. As I said above, aside for being clearer and louder it really doesn't improve much. The bass doesn't even compare to begin talking about it, even with the 3rd level drums. The KSC75 doesn't have a deep bass but it does have a good sounding bass. There isn't enough of everything to justify the $80 for me.

Even my nephew who uses IEB only didn't notice much difference from his cheapo $15 ones. I gave it to him to try out for a few more weeks. Like I said I've never been a huge fan of IEBs and I think my perception might have be entirely different when reading the reviews of them here. The VBs are not faulty, I can say that for sure. If this is the kind of quality I should expect from IEBs I think I will stick to over the ear headphones.

The KSC75 does indeed require the treble tweaking if you want to be able to bare listening to classical or instrumental music. Best headphones I've bought ever and for $3 a piece. The VBs is a major disappointed.

I've tried every which way to make the VB sound better but to no avail. What are your thoughts? Faulty, replace them?

P.S. The post keeps switching to bold for no apparent reason. Very annoying.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Administrator

What does IEB stand for? I'm familiar with most audio acronyms and don't recognize that one

Old 08-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
What does IEB stand for? I'm familiar with most audio acronyms and don't recognize that one
think he means IEM, but who knows he could be meaning inner ear buds

Edit: regardless both you and I know that doesn't exsist

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-23-2011, 02:16 PM

Ear buds, I'm 40 and still call them that Do you guys have any other comments besides those remarks or is this going to already turn ugly?

Last edited by The0ne; 08-23-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM

Apparently IEMs just aren't for you. Everyone hears things differently and human ears prefer different things than others. That doesn't mean it was a waste of money,just for you it was,but not to everyone elses ears who buys those IEMs.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
Apparently IEMs just aren't for you. Everyone hears things differently and human ears prefer different things than others. That doesn't mean it was a waste of money,just for you it was,but not to everyone elses ears who buys those IEMs.
I think it's just the VBs. I used many IEMs >.> in my lifetime and was expecting much more from them because of the review and recommendations. I like to get more user opinions and comparisons to determine whether I may have a faulty pair or if it isn't this is what it is to be expected out of them. Maybe I'm not using them right, who knows. I still call them ear buds you see. While I don't prefer ear buds I do use them for noise isolation, especially for classical/instrumental music.

I'm an Engineer so please be technical if you like. I'm trying to see why these VBs are the way they are. Just really curious now. Any advice, help and recommendations is appreciated in advance.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Th Hippo VB are IEMs In Ear Monitors. The link in my sig has the most commonly used acronyms and most other commonly used terms. It will increase your chances of an answer if you stick with those rather than using your own terms.

If you're not hearing a difference between a good set of IEMs and a set of clip on headphones the culprit is usually not getting a good seal with the IEMs. The amount of bass you hear is especially seal dependent. If the correct size of tip and proper insertion techniques aren't used you won't get a good seal. Some of the signs of a good seal is that you can hear your own breathing clearly and when you walk you become aware of the internal sounds of your footsteps.

There is a tutorial here with tips on how to get a proper seal. There are also many others on Youtube.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, if you really think those Koss have stronger bass than the VBs, either you're absolutely insane (probably not ) or your not getting a proper seal with them. Play around with different tips, and see if any of them give you a proper seal. A good seal is crucial to getting good bass out of IEMs.

Besides that, different strokes for different folks, I'd assume.

EDIT: skip beat me to the post.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post

If you're not hearing a difference between a good set of IEMs and a set of clip on headphones the culprit is usually not getting a good seal with the IEMs. The amount of bass you hear is especially seal dependent. If the correct size of tip and proper insertion techniques aren't used you won't get a good seal. Some of the signs of a good seal is that you can hear your own breathing clearly and when you walk you become aware of the internal sounds of your footsteps.

There is a tutorial here with tips on how to get a proper seal. There are also many others on Youtube.
yeah, seal is very important with any IEM. Night and day difference in sound and not just the bass. Some more than others. My klipsch s4 and meelec m6 sound like trash without a good seal. My hippo grooves osund decent but weak without a seal. I can still listen to them with a loose seal and get tolerable sound, but its much better crammed up there.

About hte CBs particularly, they are heavey and big so its tougher with them. there is along thread where several of us discuss the fit in pretty good detail. I tried stock tips, sony hybrids, and meelec multi flanges before finally getting a solid seat with some Shure Olives...but I have that issue with almost every IEM I have ever had except the JVC Aircushion and now my newest addition the ATH-CKM99. they both fit like a glove with shallow insertions. I guess my ears have a particularly finnicky shape.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 PM

wuuuut O______O

I have a pair if jvc air cushions that were $13 and I could easily see the huge difference in sound both of them o_O. Maybe you're not getting a good seal like most the ppl here are saying o_____o.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you saying IE8/IEM or something totally different also did you try the bass knobs they are backwards so you might be getting little bass. Compared to your...clip ons.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
also did you try the bass knobs they are backwards so you might be getting little bass. Compared to your...clip ons.
I'm not sure if this is what Confi is getting at, but I think what he was asking "have you tried all three plates because on the box they are mislabeled." In which case, I would say good point, the more dots, the more bass, even though the box says opposite.