android
Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 AM

Default Sweatproof headphones for running

I'm looking for in-ear headphones, which won't break, when I start to sweat more. I sweat a lot in running, head too. I don't want to buy headphones which are not able to stand it. I'm considering about KLIPSCH Image S4, which had received good opinions at cnet. If not Klipsch, which ones in this price level would be the best? I don't want my headphones to be damaged by moisture. thanx for any opinions.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 AM

I have not tried them myself, but H2O Audio supposedly makes some decent sweat resistant headphones. I think they did not sound half bad either.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post
I have not tried them myself, but H2O Audio supposedly makes some decent sweat resistant headphones. I think they did not sound half bad either.
Can you explain this to me if you have not tried them as you state above, how can you state your second sentence??? BTW I have heard that they're a little muddy and when I requested a returnable sample to write a review for abi they refused. So I wouldn't recommend them unless I actually tried them, nuff said.

@ OP, I have not listened to any of the Sennheiser sport/running series but they do make great headphones and very good IEMs, so you might want to look at them. That said, I've worn many different IEMs to play various sports, it's very hot where I live so you can sweat a lot and I've never had a problem with any of mine. Naturally I do not position the opening upward when I'm done, I also dry them off and clean them, which probably helps too.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM

I'd go with some of the Sennheiser sports IEM's or just generally a cheaper pair of IEM's. Sweat has a bad habit of discoloring stuff and sweaty activities of breaking stuff.

@h20's
Meh, if they are unwilling to write off a pair for review by a reputable site like abi that means they are hiding something IMO. Fuck em, you aren't going swimming anyway.

@klipsch s4
My klipsch s4's have held up pretty well against sweat even without any special gee-whiz waterproofing.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Walkgood...I'll loan you mine for a review if you want. I dont think they are half bad but I only use them at the pool or gym so I dont pay a bunch of attention to the SQ. there is a review over on Joker's massive Head-Fi IEM review thread..

Quote:
Details: Workout-oriented waterproof earphones with enhanced bass
Current Price: $49.99 from JR.com (MSRP: $59.99)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16 Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: 18-20k Hz | Cord: 3.7’ I-plug
Nozzle Size: 6mm | Preferred tips: Stock Single Flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (3.5/5) – Single flange rubber tips (5 sizes), foamhybrid tips (2 sizes), and zippered carrying pouch
Build Quality (3.5/5) – The housings are made out of a tough plastic and feel solid but the dark blue L/R markings can be hard to see on the glossy black shells. Filters are absent from the nozzles as they would likely be ruined by water contact anyway. The cable is medium in thickness and sheathed in blue plastic. Small rubber sleeves take the place of strain reliefs on cord entry and a 2” long strain relief, designed to work with waterproof mp3 player cases, protects the 3.5mm plug. And yes, they will survive prolonged exposure to sweat and/or water as evidenced by perfect functionality after weeks of me bathing them in both (sorry!)
Isolation (3.5/5) – The supplied thick rubber tips provide excellent isolation despite being rather shallow-sealing
Microphonics (4/5) – Quite low when worn cable-down due to smooth plastic cabling; nearly nonexistent in over-the-ear configuration
Comfort (4/5) – The Surge comes with five sizes of unusually thick rubber tips which require some getting used to for those of us accustomed to silicone. Getting a good seal with them takes careful selection of the right size as well as a bit of fidgeting but once sealed the earphones will stay in surprisingly well even during intense physical activity. They may not be as comfortable as a similarly-shaped earphone with silicone tips (e.g. Sennheiser CX300) but the stable fit is hugely welcome in a ‘sports’ earphone. Several days may be required for the cables to break in for over-the-ear wear

Sound (5.5/10) – The sound of the Surge is what surprised me most about the earphones – marketing phrases such as ‘bass amplified sound’ are usually the harbinger of doom when it comes to mainstream earphones. The bass of the H2O Surge, however, despite not being ruler-flat, is quite controlled and not at all intrusive. On bass-light tracks it stays completely out of the way and even with extremely bassy music it is still not particularly muddy or bloated. Low-end extension is average and the bass is not terribly impactful, meaning that it is heard more than felt. On the upside, the bass rarely intrudes on the midrange, which is slightly forward in nature, reminding me of the ViSang R02/R03. Vocals come across powerfully and smoothly. The 8mm drivers produce sound with surprising clarity though detail lags behind competitors like the Meelec M6 and Yamaha EPH-50. A few extra volume notches are enough to fix this – the waterproof drivers seem to require a bit more juice for optimum travel and speed.

The treble is equally smooth but slightly de-emphasized in comparison to the midrange. Harshness and sibilance are absent completely and the high end does roll off as expected from an in-ear in this price range, resulting in an unfatiguing sound. The general presentation is slightly distant, with vocals generally appearing more intimate and instruments placed farther back. Positioning is a bit vague but the earphones do at the very least give a sense of space. No, the Surge will not win any hi-fi awards this year, but keeping in mind the intended application both the sound signature and presentation are more impressive than I expected and compete easily with similarly-priced mainstream-sounding earphones such as the Sennheiser CX300 and UE MetroFi 220.

Value (8/10) – The H2O Audio Surge follows its intended application through and through. A variety of rubber and foam tips are included so that the perfect fit - which is crucial for stability, isolation, and sound quality – is easy to attain after the first few trials. The build quality is quite good and the crown jewel of the earphones – the ability to survive underwater – is in fact not a marketing trick of any sort. Being able to come home from the gym and simply rinse off my earphones under running water is an extremely liberating experience and one that I am likely to repeat over and over because the Surge really doesn’t sound bad at all. The mid-forward presentation works especially well for low-volume listening as the vocals remain plenty coherent without being distracting but the entire signature is competent and pleasant. The surge can be considered a good all-around earphone that just happens to be waterproof or a waterproof earphone that just happens to be a good all-rounder. Either way, it’s pretty darn good value for money for anyone who may run the risk of ruining their IEMs with moisture of any sort.

Pros: Waterproof, reasonably well-built, secure fit, smooth and competent sound
Cons: 2” strain relief may not work well with tiny players such as the Shuffle/Clip, rubber tips can take some getting used to

Last edited by IDvsEGO; 08-23-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 AM

IDvsEGO, thank your for the generous offer although at this time I’ll have to pass on writing a review, but I would certain enjoy reading one from you.

Edit: just noticed you quoted headfi, which is fine but please credit the writer and back link to his review as well so that we abide by the quote rules, thanks. For example look http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...d.php?p=423738

Last edited by WalkGood; 08-23-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Can you explain this to me if you have not tried them as you state above, how can you state your second sentence??? BTW I have heard that they're a little muddy and when I requested a returnable sample to write a review for abi they refused. So I wouldn't recommend them unless I actually tried them, nuff said.
Just referring to the comments I have read on ABi, head-fi. I generally do not recommend products I do not own, but thought I would throw this out there as I have seen it commonly recommended when this question has been asked before. As for the SQ comment, it was vague for a reason. More to imply that it was better than your average $1 OEM headset--according to what others have said. Apologies for borrowing others ears instead of my own.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post
Just referring to the comments I have read on ABi, head-fi. ...
Thanks for the follow up explanation, no apology needed, I was just curious because I found it contradictive the way I read it.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Contributing Editor

The Sennheiser series is the best I have come across.

Sennheiser MX85 sport review

That's for the bud style, not IEM's, but most of the review should hold true for their IEM version. If I were you, I would skip the new Adidas partnership model, as the included volume dongle attached to the cord isn't beneficial when training. It bounces around a lot. Meanwhile, you can also find the older versions (orange and neon green) for better prices on Amazon

As for durability, the 85's were sent through a full wash and dry cycle a couple months ago, they still work fine. That should stand for something.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
IDvsEGO, thank your for the generous offer although at this time I’ll have to pass on writing a review, but I would certain enjoy reading one from you.

Edit: just noticed you quoted headfi, which is fine but please credit the writer and back link to his review as well so that we abide by the quote rules, thanks. For example look http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...d.php?p=423738
no problem...my orig post said "there is a review over on the massive HF IEM review thread.." but I made it more specific now.