android
Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 AM

Default Hippo VB keeps falling off Help!!!

Ok I know I'm very new to IEM and the Hippo VB are actually my first pair of IEMs. Ever since I got them, I think I spend more time trying to make it fit in my ear than actually listening to music. If I keep my head in one place and don't move around then the phones don't drop out. If I turn left or right it would fall out for some reason. I keep on having to try to squeeze the damn thing in my ear to make it fit. I get so freaking furious with using these phones. I keep seeing myself going back to the sansa clip+ stock headphone because it's so much easier to wear even though the sq isn't that good. I don't know if I'm putting the Hippo VB in my ear wrong or not but can someone please give me some suggestion on better tips?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

IEMs don't work like earbuds, they're supposed to go in the ear canal not the outer ear. A good tip is to keep the cable around your ear so you get some stretch relief so it doesn't fall out so easily, but generally if it falls 9out you haven't inserted it far enough. You notice it very well when you've managed to get them into the ear canal as the silicon will seal the ear perfectly

Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 AM

Well I'm using the small tips and I get it to fits but after a while it would fall off. I know when I put it in right cuz I can hear my voice and breathing but the thing that bugs me is that it kept on falling out. Man I love the sq of my Hippo VB a lot especially the bass but keeping that thing inside of my ear is really getting on my nerves.

Also, I have a question regarding the bass plates. How far in do you guys screw the plate in? I left it kinda of loose cuz I was afraid that it would messed up in the wire inside of the headphone. But keeping the plate loose I was afraid it might fall off.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:53 PM

Try the bigger tips if they keep falling out. The size differences shouldn't be that great. Are you using the stock tips? The sony hybrid tips are quite a bit better and I would recommend those instead. Sony Hybrid Tips

The bass plates shouldn't be loose at all. Screw them all the way in, and then give them a quick tightening turn.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM

Agreeing with everyone else, try some bigger tips, and try inserting them farther. My experience:
Put them in as far as you can without it hurting. It's weird at first but you get used to it.
Use the biggest tips that are comfortable.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Try the bigger tips if they keep falling out. The size differences shouldn't be that great. Are you using the stock tips? The sony hybrid tips are quite a bit better and I would recommend those instead. Sony Hybrid Tips

The bass plates shouldn't be loose at all. Screw them all the way in, and then give them a quick tightening turn.
Yes I'm using the stock tips. I heard of the Sony Hybrid Tips and was plan on getting them. Anybody here using any of the comply foam tips? What's the difference between the foam and silicon tips?

As for the bass ports, if you screw them all the way in and tighten them, would the screw destroy the inside cable/wire? Cuz when you look inside of the headphone you can see there is a cable in there. I was afraid if I screw it all the way in, it would ripped the cable inside.

Also, I just found out something about the bass ports. I think there is a mistake on the box where it says the port with three dots has the most bass but when I tried the no dot and the three dot port; I found that the no dot port has the most bass and three dot port has the least bass. I guess you guys probably noticed this?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:10 PM

I guess you didn't see my signature below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Sharp
Hey dfkt,

I'm having a very hard time with my hippo vb. For some reason no matter what tips I use it keeps on falling out. I really new to IEM and that would probably the reason for me not knowing how to properly wear the headphones.

Anyway, I'm planning on getting some new tips. And know I asked you about the Sony Hybrid tips and I was planning on getting them. I just want to ask you about the foam tips. Between silicone and foam tips which one do you think is better?
Comply foamies are criminally overpriced, I wouldn't buy anything from that company. Their tips get really dirty really fast, and you have to invest a lot of money in the long run. Sony Hybrids do an excellent job. I use them on my VB too.

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...8&postcount=11

Quote:
Also, can you give me a website where I can purchase the phonak ear guides? I'm from the US and I checked Amazon but they don't have it. They have the sony hybrid tips but not the phonak ear guides. Please let me know thanks.
http://www.audeoworld.com/

Old 03-18-2010, 07:07 PM

the original tips didnt work for me...even the smallest didnt fit inside my ears... now i use those from my samsung stock in ears - however, when i put them in, there is a worrying cracking noise, which i think comes from the diaphragm. so here is my question: can the earphones get damaged from this ... because, seriously, i do not like this noise :-/

edit: with the bass plate with three dots, which i assume is for less bass, there is no such noise

Old 03-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappelinho View Post
the original tips didnt work for me...even the smallest didnt fit inside my ears... now i use those from my samsung stock in ears - however, when i put them in, there is a worrying cracking noise, which i think comes from the diaphragm. so here is my question: can the earphones get damaged from this ... because, seriously, i do not like this noise :-/

edit: with the bass plate with three dots, which i assume is for less bass, there is no such noise
Hi...I am pretty new to decent IEMs myself but suspect you may be doing what I did at first...

I recently bought a pair of IEMs which came with different size tips. My initial use of the IEMs resulted in what I thought was a good fit [they weren't falling out] but there was very little bass. I asked around [and did some reading here at ABi] and it seems that i needed to change the tips for LARGER ones. The seal became much better and the sound the way it should be...I simply needed to experiment a bit...

It appears that the larger tips will help create a better seal for the IEMs within your ear and should alleviate the falling out issue. As others have said, it is a bit weird if you are unaccustomed to it, but as long as you are reasonably careful and don't try to jam them through your ears and into your nasal cavity, you will be fine...

Also, suggest you try different size tips for each earpiece...very few humans have perfectly symmetrical body parts...

EDIT: Apologies, I didn't read the whole thread thoroughly...if you tried other sized tips then my suggestions are pointless..As other folks said, maybe another brand of replacement tips?

Good luck,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 03-18-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:51 PM

I find mine gradually force themselves out of the seal I made for them?

Do I just need bigger tips?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post

EDIT: Apologies, I didn't read the whole thread thoroughly...if you tried other sized tips then my suggestions are pointless..As other folks said, maybe another brand of replacement tips?

Good luck,
-lestatar
These arent my first in ear headphones, i use in ears since 2003 :P
The hippos do not fall out, just didnt want to start a new thread. They sound right and there is a huge amount of bass

The problem i have is that there is this stupid cracking noise ... but i have worked out that when i put my finger on the opening in the bass plate and put the headphones in really slowly it somehow works without this cracking...

I just wonder if it could damage the phones ...

Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 AM

might be a lil late but i use the sennheiser cx300ii ear tips on the vb fits perfectly and stays in
Cowon J3 32gb + 16gb MicroSDHC
Hippo VB, Sennheiser CX300 II