android
Old 08-21-2011, 08:55 AM

Default New Clip+ owner problems

Hi everyone

I have just recently bought an 8GB Clip+ V01.02.16P, and I have got a few questions that hopefully you can answer:

Is this the latest version firmware or did I need to do an upgrade?

I uploaded music from my computer using Windows 7 and I now get the following message "Sychnorize to continue your music subscription", how do I stop this from happening?

If I install Rockbox will it affect my warranty?

many thanks
in advance

Ric

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi
  1. You have the latest firmware. No need to update
  2. You should only see that message if there is DRM(copy protected)files that have been transferred. "uploaded music from my computer with Windows 7" doesn't give enough information for anyone to know what's wrong. You would need to provide the method of transfer and type of files you transferred.
  3. Yes, the Rockbox take on that from the Wiki is here. I haven't heard of anyone that's removed it before sending a player in being refused service but it's best to know that it's possible.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Welcome to ABi
  1. You have the latest firmware. No need to update
  2. You should only see that message if there is DRM(copy protected)files that have been transferred. "uploaded music from my computer with Windows 7" doesn't give enough information for anyone to know what's wrong. You would need to provide the method of transfer and type of files you transferred.
  3. Yes, the Rockbox take on that from the Wiki is here. I haven't heard of anyone that's removed it before sending a player in being refused service but it's best to know that it's possible.

Hi Skip
Thanks for getting back to me regarding upgrades and Rockbox.

In relation to Point 2 I have simply inserted my original music cds into the computer and ripped them across using Windows Media Player.
Do I need to change the settings on WMP when rippping cds onto the computer?

Many thanks in advance
Ric

Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator

If you used the default settings WMP rips to copy protected .wma files. In WMP go to the Rip tab, open it to More options and uncheck the Copy Protect Music box. That will stop it from adding copy protection to any more .wma files but won't do anything for the ones that have all ready been ripped. Those would need to be re-ripped and the new files used to replace the ones on the player.

As long as you'll be doing that you may as well use a ripper that doesn't do things behind your back and produces better quality files as a bonus. If you are unfamiliar with any other program to just rip I'd recommend fre:ac. It comes with everything needed to produce quality LAME mp3 rips. Just download the plain .zip package and unzip that to a convenient spot. The default settings will produce V2 .mp3 files files that about 192 kbps. That's a setting that's fairly high and you may want to reduced that according to your needs but is a good starting point.

If you really want to stick with WMP I would still advise that you change the WMP output to .mp3 files. The quality of the mp3 encoder isn't as good as LAME but it still sounds transparent to the original CD at reasonable bitrates. The .mp3 format is much more widely used and works on just about any platform both on your PC or mobile so I would use that.

I don't want to flood you with too much at once but I'd seriously consider using another media library. WMP is at the very bottom of anything I would use to manage my music. MediaMonkey, Winamp both have a free version that have a few non-serious limitations. I would take a look at either of those. I would also take a look at MusicBee. It's free, unlimited and very powerful. It does require more setup and that you to provide some of the free encoders it can use due to licensing reasons but once it's set up it's a breeze to use.

One last thing. If you are planning on using Rockbox in the future go into the setting menu on the Clip+and change the USB mode to MSC. That's the mode you'll need to transfer your files for them to work with Rockbox. That way any files you transfer now will be available once you've installed Rockbox.

That allows Explorer and any other programs to see the Clip+ and the external memory as drives instead of media players. Any files you added in the default Autodetect need to be removed first as they won't be visible in Windows Explorer once you make that change.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:22 PM

Hi Skip

Thanks for getting back to me and providing me with a great comprehensive answer. I will act upon your advice and change software.

Its just a pity that big companies cant just provide a simple easy solution for us novicies. Why they need to have copyright settings enabled as default is just plain stupid!!

many thanks again for all your guidance

Ric