android
Old 08-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Default Trouble tagging album information in media monkey

Hey all. I recently switched from itunes to mediamonkey. After many hours of tagging and re-tagging album information, artwork, and track names, I tried uploading my music into my Cowon J3

Much to my dismay, the long hours of tagging were for naught as when the songs uploaded into my Cowon J3 the information was totally smashed together into a mess of a title.

Is there any way to tag track information to the track itself? If so, how?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-18-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofJoeTing View Post
Is there any way to tag track information to the track itself? If so, how?
Use MP3Tag.

You can fix things by either (a) tagging either to your PC collection (which you would then COPY using Windows Explorer or some simple file manager product OTHER THAN MEDIAMONKEY) to the target folders on the J3, or (b) you can tag/repair/rename directly the music files already on your J3.

NOTE: MP3Tag is an enormously popular, reliable, and very powerful but super-friendly program. If you want some guidance in getting started with it, or some "power-tricks and techniques" to make your tagging life remarkably simpler, just ask.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 AM

Thank you DSperber. Your help is much appreciated.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 AM

Thanks, DSperber, from me as well. I had the same problem and I've downloaded MP3tag and it looks great. However, now that I've cleaned up all my tags, I don't see how to get the information into my J3. I'm looking for the equivalent of the "synch device" command in Media Monkey but don't see anything similar. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help.

Cadmus

Old 08-19-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadmus View Post
I've downloaded MP3tag and it looks great. However, now that I've cleaned up all my tags, I don't see how to get the information into my J3. I'm looking for the equivalent of the "synch device" command in Media Monkey but don't see anything similar. What am I missing?
There's not any feature in MP3Tag for what you're looking for. It's a music file tagger program, and a very good one.

You will have to use other programs or techniques to copy files over from your PC to the J3. You can use Windows Explorer or any number of "file manager" products which are both free and non-free. Some may include folder/file compare functionality, but I suspect the actual control over those functions is mostly up to you. In other words you will be able to look, examine, compare, and decide what to do... using the built-in capabilities of the program.

For example, there is a free program named Free Commander which is a terrific alterntative to Windows Explorer. It has a one/two-pane presentation that makes it very easy to look at two folders at one time on the screen, and to do operations between the two of them.

The program also has a "synchronize" function which is exactly what you want. It's quite a powerful feature and can (a) do what is needed to make both sides equal, or (b) use one side as the master and "mirror" the other side to be equal to the master, adding, replacing or deleting files on the slave side so that it equals the master.

I use Free Commander all the time, though I don't actually use if for the "sync" of my J3 to my PC music collection.

For "syncing" the J3 I use another program named Beyond Compare which is not free, but is extremely capable. I already owned this program and have used it to synchronize (i.e. "mirror") a slave folder to a master folder for years before discovering Beyond Compare.

Also, Beyond Compare is a program whose whole purpose is to "compare" two folders/files (both on directory entry comparison and also to compare on file content), and in my opinion just has a somewhat more friendly and powerful user interface.

Anyway, MP3Tag has nothing like this. You use it to maintain the tags in your music files, and to maintain one or more files at a time or to perform mass changes ("keep" fields, "blank" fields, or "mass-apply a value").

You can work on files in only a single folder at a time, or you can have the program "recurse" down through all sub-folders as well showing all of the contents of all folders and sub-folders in the tracklist pane.

You can customize the tag fields shown on the left in the tag panel, and you can customize the tag fields shown as columns in the tracklist pane where each column heading can also be clicked to sort the rows in the tracklist by the values in the cells of that column.

It supports ID3 tags and FLAC tags.

You will be in complete control.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:59 PM

Default Thanks ...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, O omnipotent one.

Tags
cowon j3, media monkey, tagging tracks