android
Old 08-20-2011, 03:20 AM

Default Help choosing headphones for Clip+

Hi guys im new to the site and ive been reading a while about headphones to buy for my clip+. This is the first time i spend more than 20 bucks on headphones so bear with me please. I listen to a pretty wide range of music from hip hop to metal and rock, pretty much everything that is not crap pop. So ive been looking on the web and i narrowed my choices to this ones:

Etymotic MC5
iMetal iM590
MEE A151
Brainwavz M2

Any insight id appreciate.

thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

all good sets, but some very different sounds. The A151 and MC5 probably wont have enough bass if you listen to hip hop. I dont know much about the M2, but the i590 sounds like the best fit based on what I have read about their sound and what you listed as your music preferences. I dont have personal experience with any of them though.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:35 AM

Brainwavz iems are bassy 'cos I was looking to get one. Seem to be the best cheap bassy iems to get at least in UK. 25 or something to get one. Also, looked at Hippos VB as that is suppose to be bassy tho wasn't a choice 'cos it is quite pricey to get from abroad.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:45 AM

MC5 is analytical. In other words it is going to have a flat cold sound without a lot of bass. Maybe that is your taste, but if you have never analytic it I would probably not suggest it for you first $20+ IEM.

iM-590 is a midrange centered, but very well balanced. The thing I like about it (I own it) is that is has a real crisp sound in the upper midrange that gives it a hint of a analytical sound, but with out being flat and cold. Makes it one of my favorites for electric guitar. Bass is just about perfect in quantity, not too much, not too little. Treble is very bright, and might be harsh to some, but I like it personally. Of the four you listed though is last in sound quality--although not by much. Also microphonics (cable noise) is one of the worst I have heard.

A151 is a balanced armature (BA). BA just sound different from dynamics--especially in regard to bass. It is faster and tighter, but it lacks some of the impact of dynamics. You just have to hear it. Personally, I did not like it first, but the more time I spend listening BA the more I love them. As for the A151, it is also a mid-centered IEM, but unlike the bright sounding iM-590 it is very dark sounding. Were the iM-590 has slight crisp sound the A151 has a very warm sound. Makes it great for vocals. There is quite a bit of bass, but like I said is BA and just sounds different. It lacks extension. Treble is very laid back and maybe slightly recessed at times. Microphonics are the best I have heard (or not heard) due to the braided cable.

M2 is supposedly a dark IEM I think. I believe it is bass oriented IEM. It should have the most bass of all four.

So of those four, the MC5 and iM-590 are going be bright sounding, so if have sensitive ears they might be best choice. However, if you really like your treble, I would probably stay away from the A151 and M2 since they are darker sounding. If you want an analytical sound, get the MC5. If you want a balanced sound get the iM-590. If you want the most detailed sound get the A151. If you want the most bass get the M2. At least that is my summery. Maybe someone that owns the MC5 and M2 can comment further on them.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Considering your thread title you may not be aware that there's very little need to attempt to match a set of headphones to the Clip+ or any other quality player. Just about any quality DAP drives everything on your list just fine and that definitely includes the Clip+.

I don't have any personal experience with any of the headphones you've listed so I can't help much there. However dfkt's review of the Brainwavz M2 has them in mind as a economy set I might be checking into. I've received the personal recommendation of someone whose opinion I respect of the MEE A151 as a good introduction into balanced armatures so I'll be looking into those. Those are the only two I've taken a close look at.

Just remember that it's going to be tough to find a decent set of headphones in this price range the Clip+ can't drive. With that in mind I'd concentrate on getting opinions on build quality and sound signatures with the confidence that whatever your choice it'll work just fine with your Clip+.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post
MC5 is analytical. In other words it is going to have a flat cold sound without a lot of bass. Maybe that is your taste, but if you have never analytic it I would probably not suggest it for you first $20+ IEM.

iM-590 is a midrange centered, but very well balanced. The thing I like about it (I own it) is that is has a real crisp sound in the upper midrange that gives it a hint of a analytical sound, but with out being flat and cold. Makes it one of my favorites for electric guitar. Bass is just about perfect in quantity, not too much, not too little. Treble is very bright, and might be harsh to some, but I like it personally. Of the four you listed though is last in sound quality--although not by much. Also microphonics (cable noise) is one of the worst I have heard.

A151 is a balanced armature (BA). BA just sound different from dynamics--especially in regard to bass. It is faster and tighter, but it lacks some of the impact of dynamics. You just have to hear it. Personally, I did not like it first, but the more time I spend listening BA the more I love them. As for the A151, it is also a mid-centered IEM, but unlike the bright sounding iM-590 it is very dark sounding. Were the iM-590 has slight crisp sound the A151 has a very warm sound. Makes it great for vocals. There is quite a bit of bass, but like I said is BA and just sounds different. It lacks extension. Treble is very laid back and maybe slightly recessed at times. Microphonics are the best I have heard (or not heard) due to the braided cable.

M2 is supposedly a dark IEM I think. I believe it is bass oriented IEM. It should have the most bass of all four.

So of those four, the MC5 and iM-590 are going be bright sounding, so if have sensitive ears they might be best choice. However, if you really like your treble, I would probably stay away from the A151 and M2 since they are darker sounding. If you want an analytical sound, get the MC5. If you want a balanced sound get the iM-590. If you want the most detailed sound get the A151. If you want the most bass get the M2. At least that is my summery. Maybe someone that owns the MC5 and M2 can comment further on them.
Phew. I don't like dark sound. Some would be alright but not too dark. Good thing I didn't get it then. Was going to get it as a back up and to use it for the gym. Then I realise I don't actually go to the gym. Like once a year or something and waste my months membership. lol

Old 08-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Thanks to everyone that took the time to answer, i really appreciate it and it was a BIG help!!

Cheers!

Old 08-20-2011, 03:16 PM

i found this ones on the web at 49CAD they had a price drop how do they fare with the ones mentioned before?

JVC HA-FX300B Canal Black "Bi-METAL" Structure Headphone

Old 08-20-2011, 06:43 PM

I have the JVC HA-FX300 in red color, and if I had to explain how they sound, I would say they sound relatively dry (very fast decay probably due to the metal structure of the driver) with a flat response. Overall it gives them good clarity but most people would probably find them unappealing (no big bass, no forward mids, slight sibilence in the trebles and soundstage is nothing special).

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 08-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Panasonic HJE900. - Hip-Hop, Metal, Rock.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
Panasonic HJE900. - Hip-Hop, Metal, Rock.
I second that, if the OP can find them below 100 euros or 120$. Durable investment.

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 08-21-2011, 01:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

while the OP didnt quote a price range, all of his listed sets are in the $50 area. That puts the Panny out of range even at the hard to find $120 price.