android
Old 08-15-2011, 12:10 PM

Default Complement to Sennheiser HD595

I´m looking for a complement to my current headphones Sennheiser HD595. The phones will be plugged into an ASUS Xonar Essence ST (HTPC) and used for music/movies. The main reason I´m looking for a complement to the HD595 is simply the lack of bass. Something to use when listening to house/dance or simply watching Transformers.

Closed or open doesn´t really matter, I just want them to be comfortable. My current ones really excel in that aspect atleast. But I do want them to sit around the ears, the ones that sit on top of the ears aren´t that great to wear for longer periods in my subjective opinion.

Budget would be from HD595 (I bought them for around 150 euro two years ago and they´re still in that area even now) and up to around 300.

I haven´t gotten especially far yet but I´ve been eyeing (read test listening) the AKG K701 and Sennheiser HD650 atleast. But I´m sure asking in here before buying is a good thing to do. For reference both of these costs around 300 euro here in Sweden.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Well, if you want bass quantity, you'll have to skip both the HD 650 and the K 701. How about something by Beyerdynamic (the DT 770 Pro 80 maybe?)? Or, even better, an IEM for portable use (the IE8 apparently has some nice bass)?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Well, if you want bass quantity, you'll have to skip both the HD 650 and the K 701. How about something by Beyerdynamic (the DT 770 Pro 80 maybe?)? Or, even better, an IEM for portable use (the IE8 apparently has some nice bass)?
From what I have read, the HD650 is not short on bass.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
From what I have read, the HD650 is not short on bass.
It's not about being short on bass or not, but not having a bass bump. From what I gather, he wants a 'phone to complement his bass-shy HD 595, so we should get him something with a bass emphasis, not just one with a good bass response.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Cain is spot on. I live in an apartment with neighbours (unfortunately ) and although my 5.1 system do have a good bass it´s not that often that I can actually use it in its full glory... Stupid neighbours, I have work too you know... I absolutely adore the sound from the 595´s but sometimes I want too feel the explosions, so to say. So I´m not looking to replace them, just to find a complement that does what I feel that these does not. (Bass)

I´m not a big fan of in ear, they give me headaches and sore ears but I´ll definitely check out the Beyerdynamic. Thank´s a lot for the recommendation!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:43 PM

The HD 650's do have a mid-bass hump. . . They also have more bass than the HD 595's.

link

It sounds like you might want some real bass monster headphones tho, which the HD 650's are not.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:56 AM

The Audiotechnica ATH-M50 seems like a possible solution. They have a lot of bass, about as much as a Beyerdynamic DT-990 but without the accompanying treble emphasis.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:43 AM

Cool, thanks. A question, when listening to the Audio Technica and Beyerdynamics, would it be wise to take into account how they "might/should sound" when burned in properly?

@Satellite_6
Well, there´s a limit for everything but since I´m so happy with the 595´s I don´t want anything similar but something different to complement them and in this aspect different would be (a) bass response. But yeah, up to some kind of limit which I haven´t identified myself yet it´s all about the bass.

Last edited by Fotbollsgräs; 08-16-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotbollsgräs View Post
Cool, thanks. A question, when listening to the Audio Technica and Beyerdynamics, would it be wise to take into account how they "might/should sound" when burned in properly?
I don't think it should be taken into account. Burn-in is a very debatable concept that has not been proven scientifically. If there is indeed any change in the sound of these cans after burn-in, it would be extremely subtle and should not be taken into account when listening to them. If you don't like their sound when you audition them, don't exect them to change their character after burning them in.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:39 PM

I disagree. :P

Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Hehe, well if I can´t decide on the sound I´ll just get the ones that look the best. Thank you very much for the help. It´s going to be a lot of fun the coming weekend(s) trying to decide which pair is the one for me.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 PM

If you are considering the M50 and really want bass, get the PRO 700 MK II (important, MK I is not as good). AFAIK, one of the best bassy cans you can buy for under >$400. Also, if you care about looks, how about the manufaktur options? You can get some pretty nice designs!

Addendum: If you do get the manufaktur Beyers, don't get the 32 Ohms version, I have read it's not as good for unknown reasons.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
don't get the 32 Ohms version, I have read it's not as good for unknown reasons.
The reason is actually rather well known:
The higher the impedance of the Beyer driver, the more turns of wire are used in the voice coil of the driver. The more turns of wire, the lower the distortion and the better the frequency response of the driver. Also, since less current is being used, this also reduces distortion. Finally, with the higher impedance, the drivers are less affected by sources with output impedance that is high (many 'boutique' amps have this). Therefore, the main disadvantage of the 32 Ohm variant is that it can perform unpredictably with high-impedance sources and this is why this driver gets such a bad rep. I am not sure if the small differences in distortion and frequency reposnse are audible between the drivers but if someone paired their 32ohm Beyers with a source that has high output impedance, the resulting sound might indeed be pretty bad.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:53 PM

I don't think I expressed myself well, I meant unknown to me, I knew that there was some sort of explanation . Anyway, thank you for the information, next time I tell someone not to get the 32 Ohm version, I'll be able to explain why!

Old 08-20-2011, 03:55 PM

Just thought I should thank everyone for your advice. It´s probably going to be a pair of headphones from Audio-Technica. I just haven´t decided which ones yet, although surfing for opinions and giving the headphones a quick test in a store the ath-m50 is a good bet. But I´m probably going to borrow a couple, or few, pair´s over a weekend and try them out. Deciding which pair to buy is almost as fun as actually buying and using them.

Last edited by Fotbollsgräs; 08-20-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 PM

Best headphone for electronic music is Ultrasone. The HFI 580 / DJ1 model has the most bass.

If you want a bassy headphone, then deffo look to buy a close headphone. Open headphones have bigger soundstage but less bass by its nature.