android
Old 08-18-2011, 07:25 AM

Default 32 GB MicroSD card deleting files

I just got a Clip+ and put an extra 32GB card in the SD slot. I dragged and dropped a bunch of music into the 32 external card with it plugged into the Clip+.

After I ejected the Clip from the computer and it refreshed, there was no music in the folders. The folders remained but the music is gone. It has done this several times.

When I plug the Clip up to the computer, it does show the clip and then the external card separate. So I just opened up the external card and dropped some files onto it.

I have tried setting the USB mode to MTP as well as MSC and neither seem to work.

The firmware version is V01.02.15A

I am running Linux but that really shouldn't matter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

What you are describing is what others have reported when they have bought cards with faked capacity. Files seem to be written to the cards and then vanish or are reported as corrupted when you attempt to access them.

Have you checked the authenticity of the card? h2testw is a very good way to do that. It writes to then reads every sector of the card to give a true picture of the cards capacity. There's a link on that page to F3, a tool to do the testing in Linux. No idea how that works but I've used h2testw in Windows and found that it takes a while but is accurate.

If the card tests as authentic I'm not sure what the problem might be. A 32 GB card should work with no problems both in MTP and MSC on a Clip+.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

if the computer shows the files but the player doesn't, then perhaps the files are in a format the player doesn't support, or the files are too deeply nested(ie folders in folders in folders, etc). If you copy the files to a card in the player and you don't see the files on the card in the player on your pc, then you have a fake or defective card.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:20 PM

thanks for the info! I will check out F3 and I do have access to a window box to run h2testw.

At any rate, if it is a fake card then I will certainly be contacting the supplier. It is supposed to be a SanDisk but we will see.

Thanks again for the info and the welcome!

Old 08-20-2011, 03:23 PM

well I ran F3 on the card and sure enough every bit of it was corrupt. The seller from Amazon refunded my money very quickly though. I just popped back on to Amazon to see if I could find another card. It seems that the reviews of almost everyone of them are bad for the MicroSD cards 32gb. So that's not good.

Any recommendations on cards or should I just go with a couple of 16gb cards and just swap them out?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Buy the card either directly from Amazon or a Fulfilled By Amazon dealer. We have had several members report good result from doing that. Not just easy refunds but genuine cards that performed as expected with no need for a refund.

Personally I don't have any 32GB cards. When I was in the market the prices were prohibitive so I just got 16 and 8 GB cards. I've got enough to hold me for now and a system that lets me rotate them in and out as needed so I don't feel the need to get anything larger.

The other part is that I just feel even with the best tags possible and a optimized file system the refresh time on a 32 GB card would be too long. My 16 GB cards take about 10-12 minutes now and that's the outer limit I'm willing to wait.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The other part is that I just feel even with the best tags possible and a optimized file system the refresh time on a 32 GB card would be too long. My 16 GB cards take about 10-12 minutes now and that's the outer limit I'm willing to wait.
That is a very good point! When I had my other music player (that I won't call by name) it had a ton of stuff on it and I didn't listen to 1/2 of it. I think I will just go with a 16gb for now and if I decide I need more I will get a 32gb as you suggested.

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've always purchased my cards from a source that I easily could return them to, if necessary--too many fake cards around (so sad to hear!) and even fine cards can have physical defects. Generally, from a large local electronics store, Fry's Electronics (which also sells online at frys.com, with only $1.99 for the shipping of cards) when the cards are on super-special pricing, bringing the price down to earth (even though a rebate might be needed).

I prefer SanDisk cards--they just seem to work, and faster than the card rating would indicate. Not typically on sale, though, and so I've also ended up with Kingston (not the fastest, but at the rated class and fine for a music player), A-Data and Patriot cards, none of which has had a counterfeit or defect issue.