android
Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 AM

Default a few things before I buy...

So my Creative Zen 32gb basically exploded this week after 3 years of heavy use, and 7 years as a bit of a Creative fangirl. Currently using my partner's old 4gb V+ but going mad from the lack of things I can put on it!

Looking at the J3 now, as the current Creative offerings combined with their reviews aren't inspiring the greatest amount of confidence in me, whereas this has excellent reviews. Been doing my research but just wanted to check a few things out with you knowledgeable types. They're not necessarily a deal-breaker in my decision, but they'd be nice to know.

Deleting files on the go - can you do it? I really valued this function on my old players - I'm a big audiobook fan, and like being able to delete the chapters as I go along (I have a crappy memory, and it's useful, therefore, in assisting me remembering where I left off, especially if it's in several hundred parts!)

MicroSD - I've been using a non-MicroSD (regular SD?!) with my ZEN (32gb ain't enough for me - I've been using an 8gb card but would probably get a 16gb for this one). With my Zen, I could access the card on my laptop through the player itself as well as by inserting the card into my laptop directly. I know my laptop doesn't have a MicroSD slot, so could I access the card through the player to drag and drop stuff onto it?

Playlists - I know you can't create them on the go, that's fine, I never mastered that on my Zen anyway. But creating them at home, what software do you use? I've been using WinAmp for my Zen lately, after the Creative software went belly-up on that front, so I'm used to how that works - can I use that? (some familiarity would be nice with a different brand!)

Touchscreen - I've never used a touchscreen anything before! Honestly, is it easy for a novice? Would having a stylus help? I'd prefer something with buttons in all honesty (hence I'm a BlackBerry gal instead of HTC and the evil unmentionable other brand!) but touchscreens do seem to be the way forward, and trying to find a player of 32gb and over with great reviews AND buttons is nigh on impossible! Just after some reassurance on this one!

Thanks muchly for any help you can give! It doesn't have to be instant, as I'm unemployed and need to save my pennies before I can get this, but I'd like to know this stuff in advance (especially as I have a job interview next week, I could end up buying this sooner than planned if all goes well!).

Anyway, I've yammered on way too much now!

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

This thread has some info about deleting tracks.

You can load the card through the player itself, and there's also a lot of cards out there with an adapter that you put it into that changes it from a microSD card to a SD card, like this one.

I can't help you with playlists.

Touchscreens, IMO, are easy to use for the most part. Cowon is normally very bad at making intuitive interfaces, but my understanding is that the J3 is fairly easy to use. Plus, you can find UCIs that you like. A stylus probably wouldn't help, and since this is a capacitive touchscreen, it would have to be a special kind, not just the one that comes with your Nintendo DS or anything.

Much luck,

Old 08-05-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fluff View Post
Deleting files on the go - can you do it?
Yes you can.

The only small limitation is that in order to delete a file you must be browsing on the J3 in "folder mode" (i.e. similar to Windows Explorer), so that what's shown in the browser list is the actual external file names (plus extension) inside the folders on the J3's storage.

If you are browsing in "tags" mode (e.g., by Artist or Genre or Year, etc.) then the file-delete functionality is disabled.

Quote:
MicroSD -
Quote:
I've been using a non-MicroSD (regular SD?!) with my ZEN (32gb ain't enough for me - I've been using an 8gb card but would probably get a 16gb for this one).
Don't know how large your music collection or assorted other media files are, but the prices on 32GB cards have really been dropping. I'm talking about legitimate 100% authentic card, not fake/counterfeits.

So you might consider just going with a 32GB card now, and have all that extra capacity for the future.

Quote:
With my Zen, I could access the card on my laptop through the player itself as well as by inserting the card into my laptop directly. I know my laptop doesn't have a MicroSD slot, so could I access the card through the player to drag and drop stuff onto it?
Yes. You can access the card either (a) through the J3 itself when then J3 is plugged into the PC with a USB cable, or (b) plugged directly into a computer with a microSD card reader, or (c) plugged into an external multi-card reader which is plugged into the PC with a USB cable.

If the J3 method is used, when you connect the J3 to the PC (with the J3's USB connection mode set to MSC, which is the default) you will get two separate drive letters assigned by Windows. One if for the internal storage of the J3, and the second is for the external (microSD card) storage. Both drive letters are directly accessible by Windows Explorer or any other Windows program.

You can also set the J3 to connect to the PC in MTP mode (not recommended, unless you have some very specific reason for doing so) which has its own set of reasons and consequences. The most significant downside of MTP mode is that Windows does NOT assign drive letters for removable devices connecting this way. So the only program which can still communicate with the J3 are programs which do not depend on Windows drive letters to function, which are only a small handful (mostly just Windows Explorer).

Quote:
Playlists - I know you can't create them on the go, that's fine, I never mastered that on my Zen anyway. But creating them at home, what software do you use? I've been using WinAmp for my Zen lately, after the Creative software went belly-up on that front, so I'm used to how that works - can I use that? (some familiarity would be nice with a different brand!)
The J3 supports M3U playlists when it is set to run in MSC mode (another reason to use the default setting of MSC). You can create the M3U playlists on the PC using programs such as Winamp, and copy them to the J3 (or just save them on the J3 in the first place, pointing to music files on the J3), and they will be usable.

If you music collection is all on one drive of your PC and your J3 version of that music collection is identical (i.e. its folder/file structure), then you can use Winamp to create M3U playlists on the PC and just COPY them to the J3 and it will instantly work. Or, if your folder/file structure on the J3 is different you can still use Winamp to create M3U playlist files on the J3, but simply pointing to music files on the J3 itself.

The important thing is that the J3 supports M3U playlist files that are built by Winamp and other similar playlist/organizer utilities.

The only MAJOR limitation to M3U playlist handling on the J3 is that the referenced music files must be on the same storage "drive letter" as where the M3U playlist file itself is saved. So you can build/save M3U playlist files on internal storage of the J3, but those M3U playlist files must refer only to music files also on internal storage of the J3. Likewise, you can build M3U playlist files and save them on external storage but the music files referenced must also be on external storage.

If you do accidentally include a reference in an M3U playlist file to a music file located on the other class of storage, it will simply be ignored by the J3. It does no harm, but it also doesn't work. It will simply be ignored.

So... the J3 is HIGHLY recommended, not only for its large storage capacity but also because IT SOUNDS GORGEOUS!!!

The base factory user-interface provided by Cowon is a bit basic and limited. But there are an assortment of user-created UCI replacements for the Cowon interface that make the device much more fun and glamorous and feature-rich. In particular, you should look at the set of interfaces (Lynx, Leaf, Sense, Vision) from Kizune.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:42 AM

Thank you both so much for your replies, it's been really appreciated!
My J3 arrived on Wednesday and although it's going to take some time to rip all my CDs again, I've loaded it up with quite a bit, and chucked a few videos on as well, and I love it! It's a veritable party in my ear drums! Such a beautiful thing! The touch screen is a little odd for me for now, but I'm getting more used to it. I've sussed the deleting files thing, works fine for me
All in all, for 2 days of use, pretty much top marks!

Old 08-12-2011, 12:26 PM

I would recomend installing some custom UI's!

Possibly Kizune's lot: http://kizune.square7.de/

There's also a picture UCI here: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63006

And a new document viewer: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39528

Enjoy your J3!!