android
Old 06-18-2011, 09:09 PM

Default Worth it To Use Windows Media Player?

I just got a Clip+ and am quite happy so far in using it as an "adjunct" to my Ipod Touch (which is great a portable info device, but has sterile sounding audio).

In any case, I'm used to using iTunes to manage music, and wondered whether it's worth setting up media player to manage the Clip+, or should I just stay with dragging and dropping? (Hard to see that many advantages of using Media Player and I'm assuming loading all my music into it would take a day or two.)

As an additional random question, can the Clip+ play audible files or any other protected files?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Drop and drop.

I can't even remember the last time I used a dedicated media player to transfer.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've always just used drag and drop and have been content--sometimes, simplicity is enough.

And yep, the Clips play Audible and other DRM content.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

+3, drag/drop - nothing easier.

And while it has come a long way, WMP is still a major PITA IMO - not a whole lotta love around here for that piece of software. Especially since there are so many other excellent [and free!] alternatives to consider.

Check it out:
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19232
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-19-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post

And yep, the Clips play Audible and other DRM content.
Thanks (always good to be reminded to seek simplicity).

I tried an Audible file and couldn't get it to "go." How do you authorize the device for the particular file? (i.e., what's the equivalent to iTunes dialog box asking you to sign in to your Audible account to authorize playing of the file?)

Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Administrator

The drag and drop scenario doesn't work with protected content AFAIK. I may be completely wrong on that as I don't use DRM files of any sort.

When I've helped others get their protected working it took a MTP enabled software. WMP worked for those I helped. That was for OverDrive books.

I've read that some protected files need a dedicated software to transfer the files successfully. I'd check the documentation on Audible files to see if you need to use a media manager for them.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Indeed, for Audible files, you need to use the Audible Manager to transfer the files from your computer, if I recall correctly. Available from Audible.com.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:57 AM

Windows Explorer for me... i donīt see the point in using anything else.

Well... sometimes in foobar i create a playlist with individual songs from different folders and copy that and paste into the drive in explorer. Itīs a pain to copy one by one...

Old 08-10-2011, 12:59 PM

I have found WMP to be useful (better than foobar2000, actually) for saving playlists to the device or the microSD card. I drag and drop the files and save the playlist to the root directory of the device/card. Does anyone have a better method? If so, I'm all ears.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:42 PM

I hate Windows Media Player...
I used it for a little while, I found it quite good, and then I discovered that it has completely messed up my tags, and that it had resized all my cover images... even though I uncheked all that I could in the preferences menu.

This program will never be installed anymore on any of my computers.

For the clip, at first I used drag & drop, but as I prefer to have a sync playlist (on a 8 Gb Clip I can only have a little selection of my music) and I tried MediaMonkey which seems to do a good job for that.
Now I've got a playlist that is automatically synchronized with the clip as I plug it to my computer.