android
Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM

Default Another Playlist question - autoupdating M3U files

A little background, hopefully not tldr...

It's ironic that I'm posting this here. For the last few years I've been using an iPod Nano G2 - I only purchased it because I discovered the great ml_ipod add-on for Winamp and therefore never had to use iTunes!

I currently have over 2500 M3U playlists in my main database, all organized within an indexing system that would not translate well to a portable device (there are over 350 main folders and more folders nested within each one). With Winamp, transferring playlists to the Nano was simple:

-- Import a few playlists into the Media Library Playlist section.
-- Select one or more playlists and Send To the iPod.
-- ml_ipod would then add a playlist to the iPod with the exact same name, copy over all the MP3s into Apple's weird-ass folder structure and rename them. The playlists still worked flawlessly. When done I would just delete them from the iPod, nothing was ever "synced" back to the main library.

I just got a new Clip+ (now Rockboxed) and am trying to do the same thing using Winamp's Device Manager (since ml_ipod is just for iPods). It's not working, the playlists come across empty. The files get copied over but I have to hunt and peck for them.

So am I out of luck here? Am I doing something wrong? I just want to have a Rockboxed player with a simple elegant solution for copying playlists over. Rebuilding my entire master library is not an option. Any suggestions?

BTW this is an example of the file structure. The second folder is the one that can vary from 0000 to 0350.

Playlist: Aphex Twin -- Selected Ambient Works vol. II.m3u

\zfiles\0247\Aphex Twin\I 01 - Cliffs.mp3
\zfiles\0247\Aphex Twin\II 12 - Matchsticks.mp3

Thanks...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Try Amok Playlist Copy. It was kind of buggy when I tried it before but it's the closest thing I can think that might help with that. I haven't used it in a couple of years so I don't know how well it works now. The concept of syncing playlists and their contents is just something that doesn't translate well, if at all, to Rockbox.

Playlists in Rockbox are built from the files on the player. If you make a playlist based on files on your PC then move the playlist and the files to the player the file paths will refer to the files on the PC, not the player. Amok kind of works around that. It's supposed to allow you to create a playlist of files on your computer and transfer that playlist with the file paths corrected along with the files needed by that playlist. I had varying degrees of success with it until I figured out it was easier for me to just start from scratch.

BTW anything that sees a device and not a drive letter isn't going to work with a Rockboxed player. There's a database that's built by those type managers based on MTP file transfer that just isn't seen when the player is in MSC mode. The database internal to Rockbox is something entirely different and isn't used by any external software.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks for shedding some light on that. It sure seems like this kind of situation would be very common. Support for transferring playlists from a large database on the mothership is a great opportunity to take Rockbox to the next level, wish I was savvy enough to put something like that together.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:02 PM

Amok is no help. This really sucks, I may have to go back to ml_ipod. I love the size of the Clip+ and Rockbox is great but loading it up is going to be a real drag. Any other suggestions? Mediamonkey perhaps?

BTW I forgot to mention I am doing my imports booted into OF, not Rockbox. I think it has to be done that way.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:56 PM

I have been able to drag and drop playlists from WMP.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

Just saying you have done that doesn't really help the OP. It would be much more helpful if you outlined how you did it. If you give the info on how you set WMP and Rockbox so that it allows drag and drop of .m3u playlists I'm sure that thechrisl and a number of other users would be very grateful.

Quite a few people have reported that when they attempt to drag and drop a WMP playlist onto a Rockboxed player it doesn't work due to the file paths being wrong. This is fairly remarkable if you have come up with a way to do this without needing to correct file paths. Do you create your playlists in WMP from files on the player or from files on your PC? Are you able to create playlists that include the internal and external memories and then drag and drop them?

I'll hold off any other questions until you give us a basic outline of how it is that you are doing this. Post back soon.