android
Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post
I listen to music that has a lot of noise segments - no time signature. Instead just samples of noises (ie: people playing in a park) and there are often very subtle intricacies (that I enjoy thoroughly) and I wonder if they'd be ever so slightly audibly altered.
No.

And stop wondering about nothing and click the link above. You can listen to all sorts of pitch errors and see for yourself what you can hear.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-03-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post
The frequency response is not what I am concerned about but instead the playback/pitch deviation of 0.25% that the Clip+ has.
According to dfkt, we are talking about the difference between 1000 Hz and 1003 Hz and the difference between 500 Hz and 501 Hz. According to http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-centsratio.htm, we are talking about approximately 5.2 cents and approximately 3.5 cents. Why not take the tests for 5 cents and 2 cents and report back to us? They should give you a rough idea of whether you can hear the pitch deviation.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
According to dfkt, we are talking about the difference between 1000 Hz and 1003 Hz and the difference between 500 Hz and 501 Hz. According to http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-centsratio.htm, we are talking about approximately 5.2 cents and approximately 3.5 cents. Why not take the tests for 5 cents and 2 cents and report back to us? They should give you a rough idea of whether you can hear the pitch deviation.
I think he was asking about rockbox, not the Sandisk firmware:

Quote:
Okay so with Rockbox should I even care about the Clip+ playback issue then?

Old 08-07-2011, 02:33 AM

So I came across this http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/...-measured.html

and there is this one quote in it

"PITCH TEST (revised 5/25): It's somewhat unusual to find significant pitch errors in today's digital audio players. And, if the error is consistent sample-to-sample, it's likely a design error with the hardware or firmware. There's already some info on the web about the Clip+ "running fast" and mine indeed does but only by a very small amount: 0.25%. So the musical note Middle C is 441 hz instead of 440 hz. I wonder how many would notice this, but I did confirm the problem using my Agilent bench meter (which has an extremely accurate internal timebase) and playing back a "perfect" 1 Khz sine wave:

ROCKBOX PITCH FIX: The good folks who maintain Rockbox apparently knew about the above error, and interestingly, fixed it in their firmware. Here's the same Clip+ playing the same file but running Rockbox and the error is now near zero (0.04%):"

0.25% worried me but 0.04% doesn't. Especially considering the awesome frequency response and absence of nasty rolloff.