android
  #1  
Old 07-07-2011, 01:29 PM
C E Jones C E Jones is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13
Default Text not displaying right in Rockbox

I just installed Rockbox 3.8.1 on my Clip+ 8GB. For some reason it's not displaying text they way it's supposed to. I use folders to brows my files, and when I'm selecting files on rockbox all my different folders just show up as "New Folder," sometimes with some extra gibberish characters. When I have the Clip+ connected to my computer, the folders show up as "Jazz," "Rock," etc., but when I access them through the clip, they all show up as "New Folder." Also the virtual keyboard doesn't display the letters of the alphabet like it shows in the manual, but rows of a bunch of 'A's, 'I's and 'E's in both upper and lower case with a bunch of random accent marks over them.

Also, is there supposed to be a /.rockbox folder on the Clip? This doesn't show up when I connect it to my computer to add music, even though the manual says you should put music files in this directory.

Any idea what's going on with my Clip and how to fix it?
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 07-09-2011, 02:09 PM
C E Jones C E Jones is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13
Default

Bump. Any ideas for getting the virtual keyboard to work?
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 07-09-2011, 02:55 PM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,348
Default

If your seeing those strange names and numbers that means that you transferred your files in either Autodetect or MTP. After a firmware update Sansas revert to Autodetect, which defaults to MTP. You'll need to take everything off, change the mode to MSC in the OF and put everything back on again. You don't have to but if you change the USB mode the files you've added in MTP will go invisible in Rockbox and Explorer. Simpler to just start over.

Your other questions seem to come from not having read the manual. You really should read it all through "The Main Menu". I'd also be prepare to skim thru to find answers to some of the basic questions rather than wait days for what you can find in a few minutes.

Rockbox isn't like the OF. You just can't get the most out of it by pushing buttons and guessing at the outcome. That missing .rockbox file? Look for info on that in General Settings>File View. Don't like the virtual keyboard? It's easy enough to create your own. Try the link in the Virtual Keyboard section of the manual.

I've seen members here just about line up to help someone whose questions show they've read the manual and things just aren't clicking. I've also seen a post that asks things that just skimming the manual would answer get ignored.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 07-31-2011, 04:32 PM
C E Jones C E Jones is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13
Default

I've read the manual cover to cover and I'm still having this problem. I tried removing all my music files, switching to MSC by holding the center button while connecting the Clip+ via USB, than adding the files back. That only made the problem worse, for some reason only one of the folders shows in Rockbox. I have Rock, Jazz, and Classical folders and now only the Rock folder is showing in Rockbox, as "New Folder." The other folders used to also show under that title, but now they don't. So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Rockbox, but that didn't change anything--I still can only access the Rock folder.

Anything else I can try? I'm considering formatting the player's memory and trying another clean install, but I'm wondering if this would cause any new problems.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 07-31-2011, 05:46 PM
FreeZ5's Avatar
FreeZ5 FreeZ5 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C E Jones View Post
I've read the manual cover to cover and I'm still having this problem. I tried removing all my music files, switching to MSC by holding the center button while connecting the Clip+ via USB, than adding the files back. That only made the problem worse, for some reason only one of the folders shows in Rockbox. I have Rock, Jazz, and Classical folders and now only the Rock folder is showing in Rockbox, as "New Folder." The other folders used to also show under that title, but now they don't. So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Rockbox, but that didn't change anything--I still can only access the Rock folder.

Anything else I can try? I'm considering formatting the player's memory and trying another clean install, but I'm wondering if this would cause any new problems.
Boot into the original firmware, go to USB settings and change it to MSC.

I **THINK** holding the center button boots a Rockboxed player into the OF, and yours is presumably still set to Autodefect. [I'm not a Rockbox user, so might be wrong about that.]

Steve
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 07-31-2011, 06:58 PM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,348
Default

There's no button combination listed to boot to the OF for file transfer. You just connect the player while it's off and it connects to the OF. If you see the player's name in Explorer it's connected in MTP. If you see the two drive letters it's connected in MSC.

You would only need to hold a button to boot to the OF if you intend to use the OF itself. Then you follow the directions in the linked instructions to get to the OF. Once you're there then you can follow Steve's directions and put the player in MSC mode. When you connect after changing the USB mode you should be able to transfer folders and files like you would to any other drive.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 07-31-2011, 07:20 PM
C E Jones C E Jones is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Boot into the original firmware, go to USB settings and change it to MSC.

I **THINK** holding the center button boots a Rockboxed player into the OF, and yours is presumably still set to Autodefect. [I'm not a Rockbox user, so might be wrong about that.]

Steve
How would that make a difference with the folders not showing up in Rockbox? I'm already able to get into MSC by holding down the center button.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 PM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,348
Default

The biggest difference is the way you're doing it doesn't work and what Steve is telling you will. Steve may not use Rockbox but he's seen this type of post dozens of times and has obviously paid attention. Follow what he said and you'll get your files on your player the way you want. Keep doing it your way and you'll keep getting the results you're getting now.

All up to you.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:03 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C E Jones View Post
How would that make a difference with the folders not showing up in Rockbox? I'm already able to get into MSC by holding down the center button.
To be clear, holding down the center button does not automatically boot you into MSC mode, so while you may be holding down the center button, its probably not accomplishing anything

You need to boot into the original firmware and change the USB mode. See here:

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...tml#x4-70002.1
__________________
Interested in Google's Summer of Code ? PM me.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.