android
Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 AM

Default Drag & Drop to Either Internal or SD Memory?

I'm just looking for confirmation that when loading music onto the clip, you need to select either the internal memory or the micro SD card (?)

[I originally wanted to load a folder with 6 GB of music, but wasn't able to as the internal memory has 4, and SD card another 4 GB]

Thanks,

Jon

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, you have to load one at a time.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:20 AM
Administrator

They are separate drives. They can each only hold up to their individual capacity. You'll see them as a whole once the database refreshes but they need to be loaded individually.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:22 AM

OK, thanks...

Old 07-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yep, as far as I'm aware (but see below). Just split the folder into 2 subfolders (if you want), and drag each to each location.

In the end, when you use the Clip+'s database to play the music, it's all integrated back together via ID3 tags. Or you can play by folder.

I haven't tried it and can't see it in my mind, but am curious: what happens, as in your situation (e.g. a 4GB Clip+ with a 4GB microSD card, and a folder with 6GB of music), if you try dragging and dropping, using the Clip+'s USB MSC mode, a "too-large" folder to the top-level Clip+ drive/folder--does the computer simply reject the attempt with some sort of a "too large folder" message?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
if you try dragging and dropping, using the Clip+'s USB MSC mode, a "too-large" folder to the top-level Clip+ drive/folder--does the computer simply reject the attempt with some sort of a "too large folder" message?
You get the standard Windows Explorer message when the destination is too small to accept the source.

Steve

Old 07-31-2011, 11:32 AM

Just tried this and I was only able to get about 3GB onto the Clip's memory, even though the only other thing on there is a 1.8MB system file. Does it have less memory than advertised?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Check the standard disclaimer all maker add to their capacity description. What they call a GB and what a GB is on your computer is measured differently. So you're not going to able to fit all of a computer based GB into what the makers call a GB. Wacky, but that's how it is.

Even with that 3 GB seems low. I always use the SDformatter or the inbuilt Sansa formatting utility before I load a player for the first time. That wipes out everything except the firmware. My notes from the last time I did that say that I wound up with 3.87 "real" GB of space after doing that. There was 3.65 GB I could load. The firmware and the folders both hidden and visible the OF creates took up the rest.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion--I think I found the issue. There were some audiobooks and podcasts that I had erased from folders, but still were on the device. Not sure why they don't appear on my PC (but do on the Clip) but I guess the solution is the same (reformat).

Old 07-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Files that are transferred in one mode can't be seen on the player in Explorer. That's no doubt what happened there. You need to pick a mode, either MSC or MTP, and stay with it. I learned to avoid Autodetect quite a while back. It can and will change transfer modes with no notification. That's the source of dozens of "what happened to my files?" posts here and in other forums.

While I'll format a player during the original setup I avoid it unless it's absolutely necessary after that. Formatting uses more write cycles than just deleting files does. The number of write cycles is supposed to a very high number but I can't see using them up without a good reason.