android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM

Yes I ALWAYS use safely remove.
I now used Tera Copy to transfer the files but even that did not work.
Just installed Windows XP on my Tower PC in a virtual machine.
And yes everything works as it should.
Should I reinstall my OS to fix this problem?

Last edited by McBga; 07-27-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2011, 12:44 PM

I reinstalled windows 7 and now everything works fine.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBga View Post
I reinstalled windows 7 and now everything works fine.
Amazing.

Happens all the time.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:56 AM

Good to know....I'll live with it for now and when I reformat in a few months or so looking forward to working .flacs again

Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 AM

I have several computers in my house. The one that is running windows xp media version requires that I change all the file extentions of flac to fla or it will not recognize the flac music files in my cowon players when transferred.
I looked through registry and could find an association error. I noticed the flac decoder plugged into nero also turns the flac to fla extention when ripping a cdrom. I'm thinking there maybe an error in a DLL file either in windows or maybe the flac codec plugged into
Nero.

I have also had problems on occasion with files not getting into the database of my cowon players but shows up in the folder section and plays. When I run media monkey it sees the tags ok but MP3Tag does not see them. So I relabeled all in using Mp3Tag and converted them back to fla from flac and the worked fine. Make sure your files have extention flac when using MP3Tag or won't see them. Then turn em back to fla.

When I use the other computers in the house I don't have the fla flac problem but still have database problems. So far MP3Tag has always worked

When media monkey is slow to read the flac tags suspect you need to use MP3TAG - THE TAGS WILL NOT SHOW UP IN MP3TAG. Rename them and it will be ok. Media monkey doesn't fix the problem when retagging. Media monkee program must not be fully rewriting tag files correctly.

Most of my music is on the xp media version. If someone finds a fix for the fla flac problem email me Kconno6121***********

Old 10-24-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
I looked through registry and could find an association error. I noticed the flac decoder plugged into nero also turns the flac to fla extention when ripping a cdrom. I'm thinking there maybe an error in a DLL file either in windows or maybe the flac codec plugged into
Nero.

I can now confirm this. Three days ago I put in a new SSD drive in anticipation of Battlefield 3 and with having minimal programs on it I can now drag properly tagged flacs into the J3. I did in fact have Nero installed before so I have to assume that this was the culprit, although *perhaps* just a reformat would have worked. So as I type I'm moving .flac files into the player and not having to rename them. Yeehaw!

And yeah, I won't be installing NERO on this pc. Strange bug & perhaps a ticket should be sent to Cowon.

Thanks for all the posts & info everybody - it took some time but glad we were able to figure out the issue. Looks like this thread gets some traffic from people doing google searches.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Note that Windows Media Player cannot play FLAC files. You need to use other FLAC-capable players, e.g. Winamp. I know nothing about Nero.

However Winamp (for one) simply reads the .FLAC files directly. No need to shorten the extension to .FLA.

Also, using Windows Explorer or any of several other pure-Windows "drag-and-drop" style File Manager or sync programs to copy .FLAC files to the J3 does not cause any problems at all.

I do not use Media Monkey or Nero. I use simple File Manager programs (e.g. Free Commander, Beyond Compare, etc.) to do my file copy/sync functions to the J3 from PC, but they don't "intrude" on the content. They simply copy files, exactly as they are, whatever they are.

The J3 itself plays all of my 1150 .FLAC files perfectly. No need to shorten the extension to .FLA (in fact I don't know if that would even work). The J3 recognizes .FLAC files just as they are.

While your .FLAC vs. .FLA problem has been seen before, I wonder if it's because of other software you have on your PC that others don't. Again, Windows Media Player (and by extension, Windows in general) does NOT support FLAC as a format, even though it supports many other formats. Have you installed 3rd-party "codec packs" (e.g Shark007), which might be part of the problem? I wonder if Nero is at the heart of your problem?

Anyway, I (and many others) have used ordinary .FLAC on PC (with other non-WMP players, again Winamp for example) with no problem.

And copying those .FLAC files to the J3 as is has always worked perfectly on the J3, with no problem. The J3 obviously supports .FLAC.

Nevertheless, it sounds like your newly installed-from-scratch (I think anyway, from your description) Windows, without Nero, seems to have solved your .FLA vs. .FLAC problem, so that's really all that matters.

Glad your problem is resolved.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:01 AM

I recently purchased a Cowon J3 and installed a 64GB Microsd card. Flac files will refuse to show up if not for the extension be modified from flac to fla. Then they play perfectly. Once changed now they refuse to play by Winamp under windows XP were previously they played fine with the flac extension. Very strange.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:43 PM

What is the nature of your FLAC files? Did you make them or buy them? How did they get their tags? Is album art imbedded in the tag or not?

What method did you use to copy them from PC to J3? Windows Explorer drag/drop or other?

The J3 plays 44Khz/16bit FLAC files with .FLAC extension.

The FLAC vs. FLA problem is widely reported, but inevitably it is a "user problem".

Old 06-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
What is the nature of your FLAC files? Did you make them or buy them? How did they get their tags? Is album art imbedded in the tag or not?

What method did you use to copy them from PC to J3? Windows Explorer drag/drop or other?

The J3 plays 44Khz/16bit FLAC files with .FLAC extension.

The FLAC vs. FLA problem is widely reported, but inevitably it is a "user problem".
1. Downloaded of net.
2. Windows drag and drop.
3. Yes mine are all 44khz/16bit.
4. Have looked at mp3tag and all is good.

Very strange.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 PM

Sigh. I now have the exact same issue. Suddenly (this morning) my J3 (firmware version 2.29) ceased recognizing new .flac files. Renaming the files (created this morning by Winamp) to .fla worked. It still recognizes .flac files created by Winamp prior to this morning. I do not sync the J3, I drag and drop files created by Winamp to the J3 using Windows Explorer. No codec packs of any kind are installed on the computer (the only one I have, running XP). No changes of any kind have been made to the computer, no new programs added, none deleted. I did defrag the computer last week, but I do that regularly each month, and it has never caused an issue before.

These are legitimate 44Khz/16bit FLAC files, and they play fine with Winamp on the computer. There were made from CDs purchased by me (not copied, and not ripped).

Any idea why a heretofore sane J3 would suddenly go south like this?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencom View Post
I recently purchased a J3 and had EXACTLY the same problem with FLAC files not showing up.

The same FLAC files did show on another J3 so there was nothing wrong with the format.

I then found soneone else that had had the same problem, they renamed the *.FLAC to *.FLA and it worked fro them.
I tried the same thing and sure enough I could also see my FLA (FLA) musice along with albu art etc. They all played as you would ecpect :-)

No here is the weird part of it....
I later copied some FLAC files WITOUT renaming them and noticed that they DID show up enven with the .FLAC ext.!
I then renamed ALL the .FLA file to .FLAC and now my J3 can see ALL the FLAC files that it previously could not!.
This is really weird, but it now works 100% with.FLAC files.

Chris
I have just experienced the SAME FLAC problem with a totally different Brand of player (ColorFly C4) and the above renaming trick did NOT work and may not have been the answer to the original problem with the J3 either.....

I think the problem is/was connected with copying the files from a "NETWORK" drive?!.

I copied the files onto a LOCAL hard drive then copied them to the player and they showed up just fine!.