android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 06-30-2011, 05:55 PM

OK thanks. I sent it and think I did it right. Hopefully I'll get a reply of them acknowledging there's an issue and most importantly a fix.

Kit

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 AM

I now have the same Issue. At first though I had no trouble at all with flac. Played and album art shows up. Just got this 6 weeks ago. Now suddenly it won't recognize flac files. I tried to add my new songs and no luck. It still recognized the old ones. Of course I did a format just to see and now nothing. MP3's not a problem. However flacs have no dice. As for renaming files... that's a hell no! As most of my music is flac and renaming each file is just rediculous. Any updates for a fix?? I have contacted cowon in my country and I hope for a response. It was awesome when it was working. Just seems odd that it was flawless and then suddenly loses it's ability to recognize .flac???

Old 07-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshiznit View Post
Now suddenly it won't recognize flac files. I tried to add my new songs and no luck. It still recognized the old ones.
Did you elaborate on what "it won't recognize FLAC files" actually means? I think I lost the thought.

In other words, are you browsing using [Folders]? I would think that ANY file "shows up" using this approach, since all files are presented when [Folders] is used. Just like Windows Explorer. So I'm speculating that you see your FLAC files when using [Folders].

And that means I'm guessing your problem is that tags-based browsing (i.e. through [Artists] or [Genres] or [Years] or [Albums] or [Songs]) is what is failing for you. Yes?

So, is it only the newer FLAC files that "don't show up" with tags-based browsing? That would suggest the tags are damaged or invalid. Have you created/checked them with MP3Tag?

Do you older FLAC files "show up" with tags based browsing? If so, how about copying your newer files over from PC to J3 just a few at a time, and see if you can isolate WHICH file(s) are problematic, and trigger the J3 failure?

I think I would have to intuit that the problem is with the tags on one or more of your FLAC files, if tags-based browsing of FLAC files is failing for you for "newer files" but not for "older files". In my opinion it cannot possibly be the Cowon firmware related to FLAC files and tags, since it works perfectly for so many other users.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:04 PM

Okay to clarify it's not the tags that are the problem. J3 doesn't see the files. As in it's as if the file isn't there. That is with any .flac file. In formating the J3 the player wouldn't see any .flac files after that.

The reason it could see the files before that was because when I first got the player it was working as advertised. Drop them in and away you go. But as I stated it for no apparent reason has decided to not accept the .flac format.

I did get it to manage to see them using MTP protocol but would then erase them on the next startup even when browsing the file on my pc it was erased by the J3.

And yes with folder browsing the J3 just pretends the files aren't there.

Hope that clarifies my meaning. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Okay to clarify it's not the tags that are the problem. J3 doesn't see the files. As in it's as if the file isn't there. That is with any .flac file.

And yes with folder browsing the J3 just pretends the files aren't there.

Hope that clarifies my meaning. Thanks.
Remarkable.

No FLAC files at all are now appearing? Even FLAC files that had been showing up originally, until this odd symptom started happening?

I just did my own experiment, copying an unsupported file (i.e."NBD" extension) to a folder on the J3, and then doing a folder browse to see what would appear when I browsed down to that folder. And sure enough, "empty folder". The unsupported file did not show up in the browser list. So folder browse doesn't just list anything that's in a folder on the J3... it has to be a "supported" file for it to show up.

I then renamed that NBD file to have a FLAC extension. And now, the folder browse actually DID show the file. It obviously wasn't a real FLAC file (and clearly would have caused a problem if I'd tried to play it) but at least it showed up in the folder browse of that folder.

This suggests that even if your own FLAC files were invalid (as my NBD file was, renamed to FLAC), they should STILL show up in a folder browse... since FLAC is a supported file name extension.

That you say it's not I find astonishing.

Now I feel a bit sheepish to ask this question, but just to be absolutely sure we're talking about "folder browsing" and not "tags browsing", right?

Are you using standard Cowon UCI, or are you using some other UCI browser or music player?

From the top-level Library level you're selecting [Folders] -> [J3] -> [Music] -> etc., right?

When you get into an album folder using this folder browsing method, you DO see the ".MP3" extension on file names, right? Full external file name including MP3 extension? But no FLAC files appear.

Amazing.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:12 PM

Yes when folder browsing it shows no .flac files whatsoever. Including the same files it originally accepted when I first got the player. However after looking at other peoples solutions i found renaming the files from .flac to .fla does seem to work. However like I mentioned earlier All of my albums are ripped to flac format. So I have 1000s of songs and I don't wish to rename every one of them. Not exactly what Cowon advertises. Anyway what I've been wanting to know is why something that worked flawlessly when first purchased suddenly doesn't accept reimporting of the same file type i.e. flac.

I have contacted Cowon dealer several times but all they do is ask for info I already gave them. Like "when did I discover this issue?" And that would be when I wanted to add new songs to the player.

But as I stated even the files that were originally transferred and working perfectly when I first used the J3 they no longer register even when going through Folders>J3>Music. =(

Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 PM

What is your current firmware?

Was this firmware version upgraded by you, or did it come pre-installed in the J3?

Have you tried re-installing the latest 2.25 firmware? Have you tried going back to 2.23?

In worst case, have you requested an RMA replacement for your J3 if the problem cannot be overcome? I would.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:
However after looking at other peoples solutions i found renaming the files from .flac to .fla does seem to work. However like I mentioned earlier All of my albums are ripped to flac format. So I have 1000s of songs and I don't wish to rename every one of them.
Have you tried Bulk Rename Utility? This free software will allow you to rename all the suffixes of your files at the same time.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:06 AM

DSperber
Thanks for the questions. Yes I did firmware to 2.25. Same story so went back to the more stable 2.23. I have tried to contact the place of purchase but they won't reply as mentioned.

Cowonfan
I also just figured how to do a mass rename just using the command prompt in windows so i'll give this a go.

It does work if I rename .flac to .fla. Man that's weird as .fla isn't even a format.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:08 AM

It seems .fla is a legit audio file format that is sometimes used as a lossless audio file.

http://filext.com/file-extension/FLA
http://fla.extensionfile.net/
http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/fi...ension.cfm/fla

Also, it seems that some computer systems can't recognize 4 letter file extensions like .flac, so instead it uses the 3 letter file extension .fla . Just like it uses .mp3, .ape, .m4a, .ogg, or .wav . And as far as I know, Cowon's media players are the only ones that sometimes gets tripped up when using the .flac extension. But then again, Apple's media players are the only ones that don't support any type of flac files.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. But now I have an update. Busy time at the moment and as fate would have it my windows os corrupted. So I had to reinstall. Cut a long story short, guess what. Cowon drag drop .flac file again and TA DAA! Works just like it should =)

So not Cowons fault but an issue with windows codec. Something doesn't carry over during the transfer to the J3.

Tracing my steps: When first using the J3 I was using Shark Codec to work with my flac files. And no trouble. Updates however were causing my system to blue screen of death. So to fix the issue I had to uninstall Shark and I used klite which fixed these issues and worked perfect in windows.

However I believe the culprit to Cowon is Klite Codec package. I say this because it was the only change to the system during that time.

I went back to shark during this trouble shooting time and no progress came so I flagged that as not the issue. I believe Klite changes something in the registry to alter the behaviour of .flac files.

After the reinstall I went back to an earlier version of Shark Codec to ensure the former issues wouldn't occur. Of course it now works perfect. The later versions of Shark have an issue with mp3 versus Divx. It will only play one audio format or the other. But dealing with these codec packages is obviously risky as it plays havoc on the registry.

Any way hopefully this may help those others who are experiencing the same issue.

My verdict would be this. If you're using Klite or have used Klite your screwed =(

Shark version used is ver: 2.28

Old 07-24-2011, 04:18 AM

I avoid such codec packages and tools like Shark and KLite, especially given the Microsoft Foundation assumed in Win7. Staying with Microsoft components and not installing 3rd-party codec packages guarantees that Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player will not be "broken", as many have complained about. These other packages may be relevant for WinXP, but in my own opinion are NOT to be trusted for Win7 (nor are they necessary, for the most part).

I've had some very bad experience over the years with these 3rd-party media-related products.

My own recommendation for making FLAC files from CD is either of two very simple and 100% reliable 100% external methods that do not mess with fundamental Windows components:

(1) Current version of EAC (Exact Audio Copy) can produce FLAC directly from CD tracks, along with being able to produce MP3.

The external FLAC codec invoked by EAC to do the encoding is the EXE version of the most current standard FLAC 1.2.1b, which is included as part of the EAC installation package.

(2) Current version of FLAC-Frontend, which converts WAV to FLAC. It is assumed that you will also download the most current standard FLAC 1.2.1b.

So you must have a method for ripping CD tracks to WAV, and of course EAC can be used to do that. My own approach is to use Audiograbber to rip CD tracks to WAV (because I'd used Audiograbber for many many years to produce MP3 by invoking LAME).

I am simply very comfortable with Audiograbber's interface, although I do recognize that it's a 2-step process to produce the FLAC files (since I need to use FLAC-Frontend separately on the WAV files).

Note that both EAC and Audiograbber/FLAC-Frontend do not produce 100% perfect FLAC tags in the produced files.

So regardless of which approach is taken, it is still necessary to use MP3Tag to edit the FLAC tags in the final FLAC files.

I also use either (a) Free Commander or (b) Beyond Compare (not free) to maintain my music files on the J3. Both of these are like Windows file manager programs, similar in concept to Windows Explorer (but far more powerful and user-friendly).

I do not use 3rd-party products such as MediaMonkey.

Never had any problem at all with .FLAC files on my J3. All these FLAC files were produced using either of the above two methods, from my own CD collection.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the info. I like to be able to play my files on my computer also hence the codec packs. Since my computers have decent sound setups.

Is there a player that can work as well without the need for codec installs?

Thanks

Old 07-25-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Is there a player that can work as well without the need for codec installs?
Winamp.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM

There's nothing wrong with the J3 it's something wrong with our PC-configurations.
but I don't know what.
Today I tested the same files on 2 Pcs and the flac files only worked with one Pc.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBga View Post
There's nothing wrong with the J3 it's something wrong with our PC-configurations.
but I don't know what.
Today I tested the same files on 2 Pcs and the flac files only worked with one Pc.
Why don't you try an alternative method to produce the FLAC files.

I don't know how you created or obtained your "problem" FLAC files, but since FLAC is a lossless codec you can use FLAC-Frontend to DECODE your FLAC files back to WAV (in theory, unless there's a real problem with your "problem" FLAC files).

Then you can also use FLAC-frontend to ENCODE the WAV into a new FLAC file. FLAC-Frontend is nothing more than a very simple GUI interface to the genuine FLAC 1.2.1b command-line encoder/decoder... which is 100% guaranteed to produce 100% usable FLAC files.

Also, Winamp is a standalone player that supports FLAC directly and does not require any other external codec pack, and should certainly be able play a legitimate FLAC file. Give it a try on your "problem" FLAC files.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:11 PM

DSperber
My files are fine.
I transferred them with my Tower Pc -> I have to rename .flac to .fla
I transferred them with my Notebook (and another PC) -> .flac plays fine on J3

Old 07-25-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
DSperber
My files are fine.
I transferred them with my Tower Pc -> I have to rename .flac to .fla
I transferred them with my Notebook (and another PC) -> .flac plays fine on J3
What program or utility are you using to "transfer them" to the J3? Same program used on both Tower PC and Notebook, to copy the identical FLAC file from computer to J3? And using that same program produces different results? Seems very suspicious indeed... and I'm guessing you're not using Windows Explorer to do a simple copy, but rather some other product to "sync". Yes? No? Maybe some settings options difference between how you've got the program configured on the PC vs. laptop?

Certainly would seem to be the culprit here, that something is wrong with that transfer process itself as you describe.

If you're not using Windows Explorer, have you tried using simply Windows Explorer to copy the files to the J3 from the PC since that's where the source of the problem lies? Doing a COPY with Windows Explorer should be a guaranteed 100% copy-only, with no possible modification resulting.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:43 AM

I use MSC-Mode and did a simple Drag&Drop-Transfer in Windows Explorer.
Both PCs run with Windows 7 64 Bit but they produced different results.
I'll also speek with the Cowon tech-service today to tell them my experiences.

So stay tuned!
€: Cowon has no clue and told me that we have to find a solution for this problem.
€2: Could it have something to do with Ahci-Mode?
€3: Does anybody of you use th Marvell-Driver and which Mainboard do you have?
I own this: http://www.asus.de/Motherboards/Inte...1155/P8P67_LE/ one.
€4: Here a little test that I did
€5: What programs have you (with the problem) installed?
Mine are these: http://www.abload.de/img/ffff5kcf.png
€6: I had the same problem when I owned the S9. But I didn't know that my new computer was the problem.

Last edited by McBga; 07-26-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I use MSC-Mode and did a simple Drag&Drop-Transfer in Windows Explorer.
Hmmm... should be safe.

Just to be sure, after doing the drag/drop COPY and before you pull the USB cable connecting the J3 to the desktop, you do "safely remove hardware"... yes?

By that, I mean to (a) right-click on the "safely remove" icon in the System Tray, (b) select "eject J3", (c) wait for the "it is now safe to remove hardware" message, and (d) now pull the USB cable and re-boot the J3.

This MUST be done when removing USB devices that connect in MSC mode and are given a Windows drive letter. Otherwise, if you just remove the USB cable without going through this procedure the results and status of data written to the device are unpredictable.

Just checking.

Granted, from what you've described it does seem that you have a consistent failure when copying from desktop and consistent success when copying from the laptop, but it's hard to think of what to suggest or try next if you're already using Windows Explorer to do the COPY.