android
Old 07-19-2011, 01:12 PM

OK. I'll try to contact him and send you a ready translation.

In the Clear I also noticed two points, but decided not to fix, because Evoque still the best)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 AM

Hi all!!
During this summer I'll have a lot of time to dedicate at R0 hehe

Freshly news:

I managed to underclock the R0 cpu constantly to 200 mHz, using a C program to keep it constant: sometime the device tries again to change it!!
It should be possible to tune it from 200 to max 532 mHz. By default it stays a lot of time at 532, which is sure too much (remember: device has got hardware acceleration to decode media files).
Latest night I started the normal R0 battery benchmark: 12 hours.
This night I started the R0 underclocked version: the battery charge is is still at 2 bars (out of 3). Yesterday now it had only 1 bar...
With 200 mHz the device is completely usable: only some lags or similar things but it is acceptable if the battery lasts longer!
i should find out how to read amperage etc to do a benchmark program!

So let's see if this hack could be useful for the battery life!!!

Stay tuned for the latest readings...lots of things could be made

EDIT: roughly 13 hours and still 2 bars out of 3 Yeah!

EDIT2: the logic of my program isn't complicated
It sets the cpu frequency to X (default 200 mHz) on demand: when the cpu is running at a different clock. This check is made every second...but it could be sufficient 10 secs too

EDIT3: 14 hours-- charge between 2nd and 1st bar

EDIT4: 15 hrs - 1 bar left
So if a bar lasts for 6 or even 7 hrs, it means about 18-20 hrs of duration with dnse on! That's great. I have to remember that I started the bench after 20 minutes listening and the player resetted itself once before going bed (always the shitty bugs)...So I had to connect to pc a quickly restore the renamed script ... Next time I will do a better benchmark hehe

Original clock: 1 bar about 3 hrs
Mod. clock: 1 bar about 6 hrs

Not bad considering a 7 moths old battery

EDIT5: more than 17 hours -> still 1 bar left

EDIT6: roughly 18 hours!!!!!!!! Always 1 bar left, as my calculations...this bar should last from now 2-or even 3 hrs more!

EDIT7: 19 hours...even better than before! Remember I'm using dnse...So without it sure more than 40 hrs!!

Last edited by Lorenz092; 07-20-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Can you hack the UCI file to be able to create skins better than now?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5TORM View Post
Can you hack the UCI file to be able to create skins better than now?
No...It is a R0 application feature! And there will be no utility when we will run Rockbox hehe
UCI "reader" is integrated in a library...I don't remember which yet!

EDIT: lebellium said me you wanted to put your uci in the firmware. This is not possible, or at least not easy. Symlinking the nand path could be a solution but unstable (can brick usb access) and of course is better for a user to install what he wants.

Last edited by Lorenz092; 07-20-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 PM

Finally my downclocked (200 mHz instead of 532) R0 came to an end!
Well I must be very happy. With the original clock speed it lasted about 12 hours.
With the cpu mod more than 20 hrs!
I remember that DnSe was enabled to shorten benchmark times hehe, otherwise I expect a duration of at least 40 hours!

There is still the sleep mode issue (when you turn off the player, it stays for hours in a sleep mode, to turn it on again faster)...So you won't get 20 or 40 hours play if you use it keeping it off for hours.

But that's just a start

ps: every mod before the release, should be carefully tested to avoid bricked devices!
So as usually stay tuned for news and wait for a firmware

Old 07-21-2011, 02:50 AM

Russian R0 language
Attached Files
File Type: rar [09]Russian.rar (9.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by 5TORM; 07-24-2011 at 02:55 AM.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5TORM View Post
Russian R0 language

In the meanwhile I managed to do another nice mod: the player could be resetted by holding power key. By default this time is 10 secs...I lowered this time to 5 sec so to shut down the player completely is safer (no need to boot again) and faster.
This is a completely safe mod: it could be right now inserted into the firmware!

Old 07-23-2011, 04:20 PM

Thanks for what you're doing. From what I've read it sounds really awesome and I can't wait for another firmware update.

How different is this to rockboxing (does that exist)?
Will you be able to integrate the sd card into the main library (or will/can that be a rockbox feature). I find it really annoying when I'm listening to music on the sd card that it doesn't remember the last place I was before turning off.This is not the case with the main library. I think it's my biggest gripe (followed by gapeless - I listen to alot of concerts and alot of albums where there are segues in between tracks).

Old 07-24-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appick View Post
Thanks for what you're doing. From what I've read it sounds really awesome and I can't wait for another firmware update.

How different is this to rockboxing (does that exist)?
Will you be able to integrate the sd card into the main library (or will/can that be a rockbox feature). I find it really annoying when I'm listening to music on the sd card that it doesn't remember the last place I was before turning off.This is not the case with the main library. I think it's my biggest gripe (followed by gapeless - I listen to alot of concerts and alot of albums where there are segues in between tracks).
First of all, thanks for interesting
Secondly, I'm not directly developing RockBox but I'm doing some preliminary tests...
For the firmware update/sd issue. __Maybe__ I could try to symlink the SD path to the nand (16gb memory). in this way the music is read as if it would be in the 16gb nand!!
But actually I don't know if that will work really, because symlinking sysdata to nand means no more acess to usb But the inverse may work (sd to nand and not nand to internal sysdata memory). So this will be the next modding try!!

If we will port Rockbox (it is possible) all its features will be ported on R0. I discovered many features (audio balancing, reset time, wakeup timers ect) in the as3543 codec!
There are, maybe, some settings that could be enable to improve sound quality too (this not necessarly with rb, using default app too! Using "modding scripts").

Although R0 has linux - this is a good thing - is not necessarily all easy hehe

Some feature that I want to include in the first (or 2nd) release of firmware mod:
- reset by holding key time lowered from 10 secs to 5 secs (easy and safer complete shutdown)
- downclock to 200 mHz (or 400 or original 532 - these the only possible freqs) selectable by user in some way (file). That means more battery life (quite the double!)
- some languages improved
- battery status bars colored!

Stay tuned...as always...

Last edited by Lorenz092; 07-24-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
I find it really annoying when I'm listening to music on the sd card that it doesn't remember the last place I was before turning off.
Actually the RO "almost" remembers this information if I just turn off my player while its playing a track from the SD Card. When I turn it back on if I navigate to the same track and press play it starts at the point I turned off and not at the beginning of the track. It's not as useful as a full resume as you still have to remember which track to navigate to but if, like me, your tracks are classical and lengthy then it can be useful.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post
Actually the RO "almost" remembers this information if I just turn off my player while its playing a track from the SD Card. When I turn it back on if I navigate to the same track and press play it starts at the point I turned off and not at the beginning of the track. It's not as useful as a full resume as you still have to remember which track to navigate to but if, like me, your tracks are classical and lengthy then it can be useful.

I hadn't realised that. Having said that it's not very useful for me because I can never remember (as you said) what I was listening to before I turned off (in general I listen to it on the way to work and back and after 8 hours my mind resets too, so perhaps I shouldn't be too harsh on the poor thing !!!) I'll try next time.
This, however, could be useful information for the "modders" because perhaps they could try and use this information and try to put it up front so that you don't have to go and search for the track in question. This of course is probably utter gibberish.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:53 AM

We are quite close to release the version 2.00 of the firmware (hacked version 1.00)
The changelog will be uploaded when the firm itself is ready (today is reasonable...)
Stay tuned

Old 07-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Samsung Moderator

Here it is!!!

We are pleased to announce you that the 1st modded firmware for the YP-R0 is now released.
It has been a long work so we hope you will enjoy it!

Alternative Download Link 1
Alternative Download Link 2

It works like a normal firmware. Just put the R0.ROM file at the root of your R0 and the device will upgrade the firmware when your reboot it. If you're not satisfied with it, you can downgrade to the official firmware 1.25 without any problem (tested).

Read-me file by Lorenz092:

################################################## #############
YP-R0 firmware mod
- just some fixes and improvements for our beloved player -
################################################## ############

Latest Version: v2.00
Based on firmware: v1.25
NOTE: this firmware is as stable as the original one. Don't expect some great improvements
Remember this is a first release...

#### Changelog ####

** Version: 2.00 - 27/07/2011 **

- Improved and corrected some languages (Italian, French, Spanish, Russian)
- Battery status (bars) colored (Green, Yellow and Red)
- Reset by holding power key time lowered from 10 secs to 5 secs (easier and safer to turn off completely the device)
- Removed startup and shutdown sounds

#### TODO ####
Maybe in future versions...

- include the cpu downclocking tool (from 532 mHz to 200 mHz-> doubles battery life!)
- the player is kept in "Sleep mode" for more than 8 hrs: lower this to 1 hr
- when headphone is detached, it stops player. Could be annoying
- try to tune some register in the as3543 codec to improve quality or power save
- try to symlink microSD to internal memory to include its content songs in the database too!

- more and more to come...

#### Credits ####

__ Lead developer, Italian Language, System Mods __

<Lorenzo92 aka MemoryN70>

__ Community Manager, beta tester and French Language __

<lebellium>

__ Spanish Language __

<fray_luis> and <Klakring>

__ Russian Language __

<Night_demon> and <5TORM>

...Finally thanks to abi forum too!!

#### Disclaimer ####

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Pictures

-New battery status bar:

-Italian language

-French language

-Russian language

-Spanish language

Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Wow, excellent I'm downloading now. Thanks for the work. I'll keep you posted.

Love to see improved battery life. And the merged SD/main library. Incidently I tried the work around suggested by Jon B further up and it works even after a full powerdown.

I had a question that's been on my mind for awhile. I may have asked it once somewhere (perhaps on Génération MP3) but if someone answered I can't remember. When you unplug the R0 from the computer it goes into library update and then turns off. So first thing I want to do is turn it back on to see what's what - and there you have to wait because it's completely off (not just asleep). I've just timed it (without the new firmware yet (which is waiting patiently in my folder "Téléchargements")) and it took 40 seconds between ejecting the R0 and being able to choose a song to listen too.
Why can't it go into sleep mode? Is this something that you could change too (unless it's for safety!)

Last edited by Appick; 07-27-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Thanks, I just installed it & it seems 2 work!

It's really good that these ugly startup and shutdown sounds are gone now.

I'm looking forward to the next version. More battery life would be very good. Since I use DNSe, my battery gets empty already after 2-3 days.

I wonder if it's possible to reduce the font size, or use a new (smaller) font so that more information fits on the display...?

Another idea: Is it possible to save the settings & the radio presets (e.g. in a text file) and restore them after a firmware upgrade?

Last edited by stbi; 07-27-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appick View Post
I had a question that's been on my mind for awhile. I may have asked it once somewhere (perhaps on Génération MP3) but if someone answered I can't remember. When you unplug the R0 from the computer it goes into library update and then turns off. So first thing I want to do is turn it back on to see what's what - and there you have to wait because it's completely off (not just asleep). I've just timed it (without the new firmware yet (which is waiting patiently in my folder "Téléchargements")) and it took 40 seconds between ejecting the R0 and being able to choose a song to listen too.
Why can't it go into sleep mode? Is this something that you could change too (unless it's for safety!)
Well I don't have a technical explaination but that sounds logical to me the device fully turns off after disconnecting from the PC and updating the library. But we'll see what Lorenzo thinks of that "matter".

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbi View Post

I wonder if it's possible to reduce the font size, or use a new (smaller) font so that more information fits on the display...?

Another idea: Is it possible to save the settings & the radio presets (e.g. in a text file) and restore them after a firmware upgrade?
- ATM we can replace the font but we cannot change the default size.
There are 3 default fonts (AV_candy_kr_v.ttf, AV_gothic_kr_v.ttf and AV_jumok_kr_v.ttf) but you can use all of them only in Korean and English language. In the other languages, only AV_gothic_kr_v.ttf is working (stupid Sammy...). It's possible to use another font and rename it as Gothic or just reverse the original fonts so that the Jumok or Candy is the default font in all languages for example. But the 3 original fonts don't all have the same size. Samsung set Jumok at a bigger size than Gothic. That's why when you reverse both fonts, Jumok is smaller in the other languages than the original Jumok in English language (and then as a result, more informations fit the screen as you request). I'm not sure that's very clear (well it's late and I have drunk a little^^) but hopefully you understand To sum up: It's possible to replace the default font with a smaller or bigger font but we have to take into account the size Samsung set for each font (they did that so that different sized fonts have more or less the same size on the R0)

Maybe these pictures help:

Left: default Jumok font in English language. Right: Gothik font replaced by Jumok font in other languages (including German). Same font but smaller on the right because the default Gothik font is set at a smaller size than the default Jumok font.

-Another challenge for Lorenzo

BTW, if you want to improve the German language, don't hesitate to do it and we will include it in next version

Last edited by lebellium; 07-27-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:02 AM

Thanks, lebellium. Usually I have my R0 set to English, but getting smaller Fonts could be a reason to improve the German translation... (or maybe replace the [03]German.txt by a copy of [03]English.txt, but renamed to "[03]English (small fonts).txt"

Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 AM

Hi all! I'm pleased you liked the mod hehe....

So I'll try to quickly answer to everyone!

@appick: uhm maybe it's done on porpouse to reload r0 application. I don't know if I can manage that...

@stibi: I want to integrate a system, using microSD and some file like .Rescue/format_nand, to:
- restore firmware;
- delete the settings;
- format the nand;

These to say fuck to Samsung when the libray update issue still occurs.
I can add the options to save all the content of /mnt/media1/ or better only settings...not the database
This internal memory contains some interesting things and seems it is formatted (at least some settings are gone) after a firmware update. There are some ini files like RadioApp.ini, MusicApp.ini etc...
Well let's see that later

For the font size...well it's maybe possible to make them a bit smaller if I find where the size is coded! Then a bit of hexediting and should be done...

Here the TODOS for the 2nd version (2.01)

- integrate downcloking tool with the possibility to enable/disable it and selecting 200, 400 (untested as now), 532 (original) mHz
- try to understand how to lower the sleep mode time
- I hope other languages, something to correct for Italian again
- begin to incorporate a rescue function via microSD(firmware flash, settings restore and finally nand formatter)
- others I have in mind

REMEMBER: translating two strings that are the same (double lines) means incorrect view of the strings in the device (another samsung bug...)

Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 AM

Excellent! Thank you!

- I think you shouldn't have to change the color of indicator.
- In the next version I would like to see a new "Theme Color"

Last edited by 5TORM; 07-28-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Samsung Moderator

That's matter of personal taste. You don't like the colored battery status bar while others do. If we replace (we cannot add a new one ATM, only replace) a Theme color, some will like it, others won't, that's the same problem.

At first I guess it's better to improve things that don't concern personal tastes so that everybody enjoys it

Tags
hack, hacking, mod, r0, samsung, yp-r0