android
Old 07-15-2011, 03:20 AM

Default J3 Battery Life

Hey guys I'm planning on picking up a Cowon J3 in the near future and I got a little question on my mind. I'm aware that it's rated for 60+ hours of music or something like that. Does the battery life fluctuate between versions of different capacities? I'm just wondering if a 8gb J3 would have less or more battery life than a 32gb J3, or is there no difference in battery life?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-15-2011, 07:03 AM

there's no difference, other than capacity of the flash memory.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

deadohiosky is right, but just remember that the rated battery life isn't the actual battery life. According to dfkt's review, the actual battery life is somewhere over 40 for music, and on the rest of the internet, information is inconsistent. But anyway, don't expect 64 hours of music just because that's what the manufacturer wrote down...

Old 07-15-2011, 11:33 AM

Sweet thanks for the responses guys.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:32 PM

My own experience is that if you keep your screen on then that's where most of the significant power usage comes from, significantly reducing the usable life capacity of a single battery charge.

This refers to the auto-display-off time value (which I've set to OFF, so that the screen is always on... which is especially important to me while using the J3 in my car). It also includes extending the auto-off time value beyond the default 3-minutes.

But my own preference is that I LIKE seeing the screen, and album art, and being able to always touch the screen to control things. I don't want to have to regularly push the power button to re-activate the screen after every song, although I recognize that this may be perfectly acceptable for some situations (e.g. after launching a "favorites" or "playlist", and only caring about hearing the music set).

Consequences: (1) more frequent or regular overnight charges after significant self-powered use, (2) use AC-USB adapter when appropriate for extended use in the house, and (3) 12V-USB adapter for extended use in the car.

Tags
battery, j3, life