android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Point is that Sony headphones are not mediocre and quite rated. Lots of people rate the v and xb series of Sony headphones. Your one thread does not give it a very bad rep. Give me any headphone and I can find you a bad review on it. Joker's reviews are considered 'the review' thread in head-fi so I'll put more weight on it.

As to the V500 I haven't seen any negative reviews of it or actually read any reviews. I was trying out headphones in store and was surprise how good the budget can was. Think the V500 could compare with some of the high end cans but it was based on listening to it briefly.

Of course you are free to say what you like but like I said, wiping the floor is a bit of an exaggeration. Have you heard the V500 or is this based on reading reviews? You realise reading reviews of headphones on websites where you think there is this huge gulf in SQ difference when in reality most of the difference are marginal?

Especially when you consider the can is 50, the SQ/price ratio is great. I can't actually think of many good sub 50 headphones that is as good as the V500. I had thought if all my headphones broke, I'll probably get it as my back up. That or the Superlux 681 but probably go with the Sony since it is more presentable and can wear out in the street.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM

I never said that all Sony headphones are bad, I personally own a pair of Sony MDR-7506 and I really like them. In my experience, non-professional Sony cans are usually highly overpriced for the performance they offer. The XB series for example has very muddy bass.

I actually have heard the V500, albeit extremely briefly. I was shopping around for an open portable but also tried some closed portables while visiting my local B&M. I didnt like them, I though they were very inferior to the AKG and the Sennheiser HD2** line.

I get what you are saying with your statement that just reading reviews might make one think that the difference in SQ between two devices is much larger than it is in reality. It is a very acute observation and something we should all be weary of. It is always best to simply compare headphones in a B&M, but that is often not possible.

Either way, I stand by my opinion on the Sony V500DJ and I also still recommend the AKG as an all-round excellent closed can for the price.
Some more good alternatives are:
Sennheiser HD228 and KOSS UR55
The Koss ProDJ100 is also getting some good reviews but I haven't heard it.

If you'd prefer an open portable, the Koss Porta Pro is still hard to beat, but similarly priced Sennheiser models are also excellent. The Jays V-Jays are also an interesting alternative.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:54 PM

Another vote for the K518. They're just great for 60-70 bucks. I heard the V500, and they really are not in the same league of audio quality, for a similar price.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Imo the Sony DJ series should be avoided. They tend to have overemphasized bass that can sometimes be boomy. Imo good IEMs will isolate better, and be much more practical for active use. Large closed headphones are better suited for use at home and not for active use. Large closed headphones will also make your ears very hot in the hot weather.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Darkside, when did you lose your love for the V900HD?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Darkside, when did you lose your love for the V900HD?
When I listened to my dbi pro-700 cans & the mids were more pronounced. The sq is nice on the V900HD, but for a can that's said to need no amping they NEED and amp. Coupled w/my Digiziod ZO they sound fantastic tho,...too bad I'm desperately searching for someone to recable them. I HATE the horrid cable.