android
Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Default How do you know a defective microSDHC card?

That might sound like a stupid question, let me describe what I've seen.

Twice I've bought 32Gb microSDHC cards from eBay, a Kingston and a SanDisk. For both of them, I plugged them into the Clip+ and formatted using SD format. Showed up as a 31Gb filesystem. I started loading using drag-&-drop from Windows, trying to put about 19Gb onto them. In both cases, the cards loaded fine -- for a while. As I tracked the progress of the file transfer, I could see mp3 files on the card in various subdirectories (band names under letter-name folders). After a while, Windows started throwing IO errors. When I disconnected the drive and reconnected, only some of my mp3 files were retained. Many files that previously showed up on the drive, were gone. But! If I checked the disk usage on the drive, the amount of space used corresponded with the files that had been transferred (even though the files no longer showed up on the drive).

So:

Windows threw the errors about halfway or so into my transfer attempt
After disconnecting/reconnecting, about an eighth of the files that I tried to transfer, showed up on the drive. These were playable.
The disk usage reflects the file amount of data that had been transferred when the transfer died, even though those files were no longer present.
Disk was no longer writeable.

I've been really lucky, my eBay sellers accepted the cards back no questions asked. But, since it's happened twice, I have to wonder: is it them, or me?

I've tried to format in both the Clip+, and in this crappy Targus SD reader/writer that I bought from Radio Shack. I've tried to write to the cards in both the Clip+ and the reader/writer. I've tried Windows drag&drop, and I've tried an xcopy batch script. I have WinXP, in case it matters.

Am I just unlucky? 2 dud cards in a row? Or is there a specific procedure one has to go thru, to load data onto these 32Gb microSDHC cards? Do these symptoms I've described sound typical of defective cards? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Jim

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-13-2011, 04:31 PM

Oh, Rockbox 3.8, and then 3.8.1. Should have mentioned.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

One can't help but wonder if the cards were genuine--have heard too many eBay bad card stories.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:19 AM

Another thought-Did you try loading the cards using a newer SD reader designed for microSDHC cards? Also that means a direct D&D from your hard drive via XP. The cards will format smaller than 32gig's btw.
The symptoms you describe are generally those of defective cards. If you are absolutely certain that they are genuine-call either Sandisk or Kingston and ask them directly. They have ways of determining if you have real products and how to use them.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:42 AM

Most cheap Micro SD Cards from eBay are crap. How do I know? I tried (8) different sellers and ALL the cards failed memory AND speed tests.

All forms of memory cards - SD & MicroSD can be tested with the H2testw program. It's free and easy to download and use:

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/20...erfeit-drives/

I gave up on eBay and buy my 32GB MicroSD Cards from MemStik:

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...StoreFront.bok

Their cards are 100% legit AND Class 10 speed (10kbps), plus they pass all tests with flying colors and are cheap compared to the hassles with eBay crap cards.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
Their cards are 100% legit AND Class 10 speed (10kbps), plus they pass all tests with flying colors and are cheap compared to the hassles with eBay crap cards.
They're also way overpriced for some random generic card. Just buy a name brand device from a real vendor instead of ebay. Its cheaper and you won't end up with questionable hardware.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

At this point in time, I am only comfortable buying from a source I know I can return to, if needed, and easily enough--best being, a local store.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:15 AM

I'm in need of a microSD card and would like to ask which brands have people tried that are legit?

Also, is it normal for a microSD card reader to get hot while plugged into the PC?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

SanDisk; A-Data; Polaroid; Kingston; Patriot; and numerous others.

The issue often isn't what brands are legit., but rather whether a particular card is legit. or is a fake/counterfeit/second/defect. The reason why having return protection is nice to have.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
SanDisk; A-Data; Polaroid; Kingston; Patriot; and numerous others.

The issue often isn't what brands are legit., but rather whether a particular card is legit. or is a fake/counterfeit/second/defect. The reason why having return protection is nice to have.
Patriot; I bought an 8gig a few years ago and am still using it today. For my Clip+ I want a 16GB. The source I go to is a shop around the corner, they have a no return policy on anything thats been opened (Its a kind of 'ma and pa' place, but their prices beat the big stores all the time) Its where I bought my first microSD card from and have never had any issues with it.

They have 2 Patriot 16gig cards, one is more expensive than the other by 8$ because its the LX class. I'm not very familiar with the specifications either on these cards, does it matter which I get?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've used only SanDisk class 2 microsdhc cards......one 8GB, and two 16GB models.

I also have a 2GB SanDisk SD in my old camera, and a 32GB SanDisk SDHC card in my Cowon D2(these cards are both class 2).

And finally, I have two 4GB class 10 Transcend SDHC cards....one is in my netbook for ReadyBoost, and the other is in my new camera.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I've used only SanDisk class 2 microsdhc cards......one 8GB, and two 16GB models.

I also have a 2GB SanDisk SD in my old camera, and a 32GB SanDisk SDHC card in my Cowon D2(these cards are both class 2).

And finally, I have two 4GB class 10 Transcend SDHC cards....one is in my netbook for ReadyBoost, and the other is in my new camera.
Does Class matter? The LX is a 10 and the regular is a 4.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2z View Post
Does Class matter? The LX is a 10 and the regular is a 4.
Class refers to the read and write speeds supported by the card. Higher class = higher cost. But for use in a Clip+, no need to buy the higher class card......class 2 works just fine.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Class refers to the read and write speeds supported by the card. Higher class = higher cost. But for use in a Clip+, no need to buy the higher class card......class 2 works just fine.
Gotcha, thanks for the help.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

But all else (including price) being equal, a higher Class card is nice, for faster speed in transferring files to/from the card.

Tags
microsdhc