android
Old 07-02-2011, 08:57 AM

Default Vsonic GR07 or Ortofon e-Q5?

Hey,
I really cant make up my mind between the 2 IEMs, any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Background:
Unfortunately my Phonak PFE 122 are kinda messed up - the left earbud doesn't work properly after a family member accidentally dropped something on them. I love(d) the sound signature the PFE delivered, its sound quality overall fulfilled my needs and top of that they are extremely comfortable. In case it matters i used the black filters with my Cowon S9 and custom EQ settings.

My search for some IEMs which would sound similar or better than my Phonaks brought me to the Vsonic GR07 and Ortofon e-Q5, the former due to this review:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...lua-added-6-26

(sorry i couldn't pinpoint the review)
The only drawback is that they are "Quite sibilant until several hundred hours in" but thats just a short term issue, other than that they seem like great in-earphones.

And the Ortofon e-Q5 due to Martin Sägmüller's detailed review on ABI, which pretty much sold me to the Ortofon. However they are quite a bit more expensive ($248 compared to $155) and on Sägmüller's/dfkt's spreadsheet there lots of "medium" areas which rise doubt.

what are you views on those IEMs? Any experience with either of them?
Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-02-2011, 09:55 AM

Sorry if I beg the question but why don't you just buy the same pair if you liked them so much?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:31 AM

haha no worries, well i want to try out something new and move up a tier - maybe i should have stressed that part more... my bad.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:38 AM

No, not at all, I guess it was kind of obvious ...

I don't have any experience with either but I have heard great things about the e-Q5.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:52 AM

Thanks anyway, I have heard great things from both as well and the more iam searching the more the Panasonic HJE900 are becoming a third option/alternative...if i only had the money to buy all 3!

Old 07-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Panas are glorious! I can't personally compare them to the e-Q5 or GR07 but they are phenomenal phones. They're crystal clear with a strong presence in highs, lows, and mids. A lot of people think they're very sibilant, but you can stick foam in it settle it down a little bit.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:51 PM

thanks steinburger,
Yeah the panasonic are quite interesting since a lot of people praise them and they are fairly cheap. From what i have heard they are more exciting and fun than the PFE but still have the detail and clarity. This is really becoming a tough choice.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:56 PM

Panas are a good choice, but different. And are they available for < $150?

I posted a GR07 review on head-fi, which compared it against e-Q5 (and others).

GR07 does many things well, but to me, are not as exciting or "catchy", at the same time not boring either i.e., It's not the first IEM that pops into my mind when I want to listen to music, that would be FX700 or 'mood of the day'. At the same time, they don't disappoint me whenever I use them.

Sibilance did not completely vanish in my case even after 200+ hours. It's not horrible, but mildly present - whenever the recording has sibilance, it will be shown through.

Last edited by esanthosh; 07-02-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenoise View Post
thanks steinburger,
Yeah the panasonic are quite interesting since a lot of people praise them and they are fairly cheap. From what i have heard they are more exciting and fun than the PFE but still have the detail and clarity. This is really becoming a tough choice.
They do make your music come alive. Haha choosing headphones is almost always a tough choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanthosh View Post
Panas are a good choice, but different. And are they available for < $150?
He said the e-Q5 are around $248 and the GR07 (I think is what he was referring to) are $155. You may be pulling the less than $150 requirement from a different thread.

But you're right, the Panas have gotten a bit more pricey. I got them for just over $80 when they were on clearance. Unfortunately, lately, the cheapest I see them for is $130 (which actually is under $150, I just found). Up until I just googled them the cheapest I saw was $299.99... whitenoise, I'm not sure how hasty you are, but I would check here. It looks legit, and they're supposedly (according to dfkt) the best value in headphones at $140... I also just found these refurbished ones...

Old 07-03-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
He said the e-Q5 are around $248 and the GR07 (I think is what he was referring to) are $155. You may be pulling the less than $150 requirement from a different thread.
No confusion there. I won't pay more than $110-130 for Panas .. and I like them a little less than GR07/e-Q5/DDM2, but that's just me (I paid $80 + ~ $35 for shipping & taxes to India).

Purely based on reading, how about Sony EX-600? They seem to be good value for money IF you can afford to miss isolation, skip going outside under windy conditions and don't mind the (horrible) fit that was designed with the help of expert "Ear Shape Craftsperson"? Anything that is considered close/on par with FX700 for half the price is worth a try!

Old 07-03-2011, 02:19 AM

^

Way to sell a pair of headphones esanthosh!

Old 07-03-2011, 07:42 AM

Well! To be fair, I did give the link which should give the OP all the reasons to buy EX-600 despite my 'selling ability' .

Seriously, I think EX-600 or a bit further up (~ $300, I think) Sony EX-800/MDR-7550 could be good IEMs to consider. They all (600/800/1000) have the above mentioned issues, but the SQ impressions I've read so far have been very positive.

If the maximum limit is say $200, then GR07, EX-600, e-Q5 (used), Audio Technica ATH-CKM99 and if the OP wants something different (musical) - DDM2, HJE900, FX500 can all be considered. Beyond a certain point, all IEMs sound equally good, just that some IEMs fit personal preferences better.

Both GR07 and e-Q5 are comfortable for me. GR07 does not have the classy build quality of the Ortofons, but sound almost equally well at much lesser price. I'd think CKM99 would be a tad brighter than both with lighter bass going by the review.

Let's put it this way -

EX-600:

Cons - Fit + Isolation + 'Windy' = restricted for Indoor use.

Pros - Removable cable. Good sound quality (75% of EX-1000 at less than 50% price according to some posts), Wide sound stage

e-Q5

Cons - Price, Bass quantity not as much

Pros - Good build quality, timbre, good treble, can be listened at lower volumes (important for me)

GR07

Cons - Sibilance, Build quality issues reported lately, Treble is good but not too sparkling (Didn't get a chance to compare against PFE)

Pros - Good set of accessories, comfort, decent build quality, very good bass with extension, can play almost any genre decently well

CKM99

Cons - Not sure. Could be brighter than others and less bass quantity than all? (going by CK10 experience and the review)

Pros - Read the review from the link.

Last edited by esanthosh; 07-03-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Thanks esanthosh and steinburger,
I completely forgot to mention that iam currently in the UK, sorry about that. I based those prices for the Ortofon e-Q5 on:
http://musicaacoustics.com/Store.html
and the Vsonics on:
http://www.lendmeurears.com/
Since both ship worldwide. I am willing to spend ~$250 or ~155 pounds on a new pair of IEMs.

I read your review esanthosh, first of all nice review and comparison! it seems like the GR07 are not really my thing, the sibilance would bother me and the "who should buy it" section at the end of the review further confirms my doubts.
haha i have never heard of the Sony EX 600 but i will check them out, despite your honest description of their flaws. After all isolation and comfort also play an important role in my opinion.

Thanks for the links anyway steinburger, i can get the panasonic on amazon.co.uk for 99 pounds which is fine, even though they take a month or so to dispatch for some reason.

So i guess overall iam looking for an upgrade from my Phonaks- a higher tier than the Phonaks. Iam not sure if thats possible considering my limited price range.

*thanks again for the list esanthosh, i guess the e-Q5 are the best for me in this comparison. Since the sony lack the isolation and fit. Whereas the GR07 have too much sibilance but iam not sure about the CKM99, havent heard much about them. Gunna check them out though.

**Okay i have narrowed down my options to either the e-Q5 or the HJE900. I really cant decide between the two, both have their pros and cons. According to the reviews the Panasonic are fun and lively sounding earphones, however a couple of people mentioned they are quite sibilant - although there seems to be mod for that...somewhere. Whereas the e-Q5, according to dfkt's review they are a step up to the Phonak's and dont seem to be lacking anything. Overall in other reviews i cant find something noticeably bad about them. But is the comfort comparable to the PFE? Are how are the microphonics? Thanks for help, further advice or suggestions would be much appreciated

Last edited by whitenoise; 07-04-2011 at 03:03 PM.