android
Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 AM

Default Why doesnt my j3 play divx?

Hi i have just bought a J3 which arrived today. I can play my avi films but those labeled .divx wont show on the player and cant be played. i bought thius from the excellent review that says it plays most things and divx is pretty basic. Any ideas how to get it working before i have to send it back

thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Perhaps these might help?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...fzzhCr4NJ8Mtxw

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=60545

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=54405
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks

Just spoke to shop i bought it from and J3 only supports divx 3, 4 and 5 so any older format wont play which is a joke. I wouldnt have bought one if i thought id need to re-encode all my divx films. nightmare. If anyone knows how to simply get older divx formats ( older than 3) to work on a j3 without the hassle of re-converting then let me know please. have a few days before id need to send back

thanks again

Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No worries man. btw, welcome to ABi.

And just an observation: the J3 is considered by many to be among the very "best" of the dedicated PMP/DAP players out right now. It seems video is a primary concern for you and that is great, but how about the audio side? You might be missing out on a fantastic device if you bail on it so quickly.

Sure, transcoding videos are a PITA. But there are many quality, free apps that can help, some even offering bulk conversions [which you could do overnight for instance].

I'm not trying to influence you really - just trying to offer another perspective.

cheers, whatever your decision,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-23-2011, 01:09 PM

by "those labeled .divx wont show on the player and cant be played" you mean extension of file is divx (so filename is some_vid.xvid, not some_vid.avi) and you cant even see those files in media browser (thus obviously cannot be played)? If yes, try changing extension to .avi, maybe it will help

Old 06-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Default update

Guess i needed some time to mess about on it. so impressed with the screen, easy watchable for movies ( perfect for taking ultra-light camping etc). Still pissed off that it doesnt play divx 1 or 2 formats but guess will have to live with it. Wish the music would show as one like the videos stored on the external sd card does ( unless it does and i cant get it to work) Sound quality is so much better than anything else i have listened to so all in all like it much more than i did day 1. still here is hoping for a firm ware uipgrade which will allow backwards compatibility with old divx formats

Old 06-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Change the file extension from .divx to .avi, as Tovarnak said.

Also, check the files with Media Info, to see what they really contain. I've never heard of "DivX 1 or 2 formats", the first popular (illegal) one was DivX 3.11, and then there's DivX 4/5, being regular supported codecs, and DivX 6 which AFAIK isn't supported by most players.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:58 AM

could you post detailed info of movies you cant play? I would recommend you to download MediaInfo ( http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en ) or smth similar and post that info here, nothing would be more helpfull at this moment.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:21 PM

firstly, you should visit iaudiophile.net for help too. also, jetaudio allows you to do bulk conversions, and has presets for your j3. good luck!

Old 06-30-2011, 12:06 PM

Its possible he just needs to change .divx to .avi the .divx extension is BS anyways.
When I get .divx files I always change them to avi because it looks so stupid.

He said they dont show up that makes it very likely that the player doesnt recognise them as video files because of that stupid and old extension.
If its an avi and you can see them but you cant play them then its really a codec thing.