android
Old 06-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default flat folding beaters

not going to call this a full review...more of an impression. I am going on vacation and don't really want to take my Senns to the beach. If I left them or ruined them I would be ticked. Plus i kind of want a beater set that folds flat for my laptop bag. I have had a couple of candidates in mind but am finally pulling the trigger to see what I can find. I will stop when I am satisfied. My criteria is simple:
  • decent bass
  • swiveling cups to fold flat in my bag
  • $20
  • preferably local for easy returns

Coby CV185/CV215 - Frys for $15
these are the same cans, but the 215 includes some cheap earbuds. this addresses a different need for me as well...a crappy set of buds to watch videos on my Nook color...which has crappy sound quality. The cobys right out of the box feel cheap but guess what...they are cheap. All plastic construction, cheap cable, pleather earpads. I wont bore you with a bunch of detail on the sound, but lets just say I am satisfied with it. fun, bassy but no noticable distortion at reasonable levels. The fit may make me take them back though. They squeeze the top of my ears against my head. A bit uncomfortable. Going to try for a while longer but probably going back.

rest of the list, if needed...

JVC flats - Frys $20
JVC hax580 - Frys $15
JVC HARX300 - Frys $15

if I ditch the swivel option I found a set of Senn HD201 for $15 at Frys as well

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The only ones you mention that I have tried are the Flats and the HD201's.....the Flats are better, and much more portable.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

the flats are highly regarded and are my standby since I feel like I will like the sound. is there any isolation with them? how is the clamping? I am not used to smaller headphones. Considering these as well...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...sim/abi-frm-20

and possibly the Audio Technica athm2x

Last edited by IDvsEGO; 06-20-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
the flats are highly regarded and are my standby since I feel like I will like the sound. is there any isolation with them? how is the clamping? I am not used to smaller headphones. Considering these as well...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...sim/abi-frm-20

and possibly the Audio Technica athm2x
The Flats don't clamp real tight, and the isolation is nothing special...mainly because they are small and don't cover the whole ear.

I don't know those AT's you link to, but I love my ATH-FC700's. They're above the budget you want to spend on beaters though, unless you find a set used.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

+1 with the JVC Flats. They sound good, and are really portable. Although due to the small size I do find they don't clamp real tight. The isolation isn't great but its good enough to listen to in a car. I'd just go for them.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 06-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think I am going to give the 580s a shot, just for comfort sake...but if they don't work out I will just do the flats. thanks for the input guys. and if I could find a set of FC700s for even $30 I would do that for sure.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
I think I am going to give the 580s a shot, just for comfort sake...but if they don't work out I will just do the flats. thanks for the input guys. and if I could find a set of FC700s for even $30 I would do that for sure.
I got mine for around $35....they were listed as "used/excellent" condition.

Let us know how the 580's are if you get them.....I'm always looking for another bargain.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good choice, I have found that the Flats to get uncomfortable after a while. If you can afford it I'd suggest just getting both.

I'm also curious too, $10 (Amazon) is pretty damn cheap, and you can never have too many headphones !

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 06-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I got mine for around $35....they were listed as "used/excellent" condition.
I will keep my eye out. cheapest I saw on ebay was $40 shipped and they were "new". makes me think fake, but no idea if these are copied cans or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Good choice, I have found that the Flats to get uncomfortable after a while. If you can afford it I'd suggest just getting both.

I'm also curious too, $10 (Amazon) is pretty damn cheap, and you can never have too many headphones !
I could get both and do an A/B comparison...but I know myself and I will keep both, defeating the purpose of low cost. I'll let you guys know about the 580s tomorrow after lunch.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I accidentally found a tidbit about the Cobys. The swivel is really stiff. I am used to my Senns that just fit against my head. I tweaked the angle of the cups and the Cobys are a bit more tolerable. Going to do some extended wear time and see if I want to exchange or not. I really want these to work. I like the sound and bonus IEMs for a $15 set.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

still couldnt take the discomfort...swapped them for the harx300s...which I now know dont fold flat...but are so much more comfortable. light, goes around my ears, decent padding for $15. sound...seems ok but I have 10 minutes of tv watching form the nook to use as a judgement...so I am reserving any comments until I get home and grab the J3. I may just resign to carrying the bulkier stuff since I don't seem to like the fit of the cheaper on-ear stuff.