android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 05-15-2011, 11:56 AM

Default Phonak PFEs and perfect bass just use different filters?

Before I spend money, I want to make sure I have this correct. The PFEs and perfect bass earphones are the exact same, but the included filters and accessories are just different? If that's true then I'll probably get the PFEs and then the green filters separate if I feel the black filters aren't enough bass (and I do love my bass).

I currently have hippo vBs, and while they're decent headphones I feel the workmanship is a little wonky and I've had several broken sets. And the only warranty seems to be from who you buy it from which is annoying.

I'd be using these on a Cowon J3.

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Yes, they're exactly the same besides filters and accessories. (IMO the cheaper ones actually look better in all-black, than the more expensive ones with their fake metal face plate.)

Also, I'd rather use the grey filters with the PFE than the bassy green ones, since the grey ones have quite a bit better clarity. Using the EQ or BBE M3B on your J3 should give you better bass than the green filters.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Yeah the all black ones look better unfortunately... all the lost accessories lost is kind of a bummer though. The PFE at $140 seem to be a decent buy, though I don't listen to portable music all that much anymore.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:39 PM

So it sounds like you have experience with both the vBs and PFEs dfkt. How does the build quality and sound differ from the vBs? I know the quantity of bass won't nearly match the vBs, but as long as it's more than most Shure phones I should be fine. I'm mostly concerned about the build quality of the PFEs.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:48 AM

The build quality of the PFEs is pretty awesome, as long as you get the newer model.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Indeed, the new PFE versions are very sturdy. The cable is clearly better than the one on my VB. However, the VB got a new cable in the meantime as well, which I haven't tested.

PFE bass quality is nothing short of spectacular for a single armature with that overall clarity. It goes down extremely deep without any rolloff (unlike the Shure SE530, for example). It's tight and punchy as well. Quantity of course cannot be compared to the VB in any way - but you can always use the bass heavy green filters if it's too little for you.

Me, I'm thoroughly enjoying a head-pounding, vision-blurring PFE bass with bass-light grey filters and the Digizoid ZO.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As you know their are drastic sound signature changes between the two.

Hope your prepared.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
As you know their are drastic sound signature changes between the two.

Hope your prepared.
Meh, I'm prepared as I'll ever be. I'll miss the deep sound the vBs offer but I'm sick of how poorly built they are. Now that they're not being replaced and fixed, and are even sold out I think it's about time to move on to a set that can keep things in one piece for longer than a year.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

True, if your ever looking for a sound sig back toward the Hippo, check out.

Fischer Audio Eterna, Future Sonic MG7, and to a certain extent Monster Gold.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
True, if your ever looking for a sound sig back toward the Hippo, check out.

Fischer Audio Eterna, Future Sonic MG7, and to a certain extent Monster Gold.
Good to know, I'll keep those in mind. I did end up ordering the PFEs on overnight, so I should have them by tomorrow. I'm always excited for new earphones

Old 05-21-2011, 06:04 PM

I've been listening to these for a while now and I really like them. I'm definitely having to adjust to the lack of bass compared to the VBs, but the overall balance and clarity everywhere else is fantastic. The bit of high end sibilance I heard in the VBs is completely gone and I can hear the cymbals and high end much better without causing issues. So far quite impressed.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Congrats.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:38 AM

Use PB for 5 monthes. Now, when I turn volume to Maximum (independently from type of player) left ear starting to do terrible noises on high frequency. Nothing noises on 75% of volume. Is there method to fix earphones or simply throw their out?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 AM

Do you regularly use/used them at maximum volume? That could be the cause of the problem there, it's far from recommended to do it as it might damage your in-ear phones sooner or later, as well your ears!

Nevertheless 5 months should be under warranty, if you see it's the case send them back to repair/replace.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:25 AM

I'd replace/clean the filters first.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerebron View Post
I'd replace/clean the filters first.
Ah yeah, that for sure. I'm not particularly informed on PFE filters to had remember that.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:15 AM

the problem was that i use perfect bass and have no repair filters,but I take filter off for test and.....AMAZING! My dear earphones not broken! Thank You very much!!!
So where can I purchase filters online?

Last edited by isay1969; 06-16-2011 at 06:39 AM.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Probably the place where you find Phonaks selling there own earphones.

http://na.audeoworld.com/?lang=1

There's also another weird Phonak site I've never seen might want to check it out.