android
Old 06-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Default My Sony X1060 has drowned in the rain

I was out today with my iPod Touch, Sansa Clip and Sony X1060 in my rain jacket pocket. my Sony X1060 is in a sock kind of case. Anyway, when I was out I was caught in a cloudburst of heavy rain. When I got home I checked to see if my mp3 players were okay and they were except for my precious Sony X1060 Walkman. the sock case was absolutely soaking and when I tried to switch my X1060 on it wouldn't turn on. I then plugged it into the mains and was relieved to see the Sony Walkman logo appear on the screen. However, about five minutes later I unplugged it and turned it back on again. Unfortunately it would turn on and I could see a slight whiteness on the top right hand of the screen. I have now put it into a bowl of rice to see if that will fix it. I fear I've lost my favourite mp3 player

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately you've all ready done the one thing that should never be done. You shouldn't try turning it on while it's wet. That's when there's the greatest chance of frying something.

You can still try the bowl of rice treatment. You may be very lucky and not have done permanent damage. I'd wait several days as the rice absorbs the moisture and then give it a shot.

Best of luck to you with this.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the tip.

I plugged it back into the mains but all I get is the Sony Walkman logo appear on the display with the "every moment has it's music" and it stays like that.

UPDATE: I cannot get rid of the Walkman logo screen. When I press the reset button it goes off but the Walkman logo screen automatically comes back on. I then connected it to my Mac via USB and it still recognises it where I am able to view the files and music.

UPDATE 2: I have tried the reset button again and it has finally turned off without the Walkman logo screen reappearing but now I fear that my X1060 has died as I cannot switch it on now and when I connect it to my Mac nothing happens

UPDATE 3: Okay, it is now going on and loading library and i am now able to play music but some VPT surround functions don't work and it automatically switches itself off.

Last edited by Artmuzz; 06-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 PM

I would do what skip252 said and leave it be for a week or so. . .

Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM

I stuck my Sony X1060 DAP into a bowl of long grain rice overnight. This morning I removed my DAP from the bowl of rice but it still wouldn't power on. I then pluged it back into the mains and hit the reset switch and I get presented again with the Sony Walkman logo boot screen but the progress bar freezes at 70% I then used a hair dryer for about 5 minutes but still get the same problem.

I will try the solution that skip252 suggested and report back in a week.

Does anyone know of the Sony DAP thats a good replacement for the X1060? I was looking at the Sony A847 but not sure if its better or just the same in SQ as the Sony X series.

Please advise

Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
I stuck my Sony X1060 DAP into a bowl of long grain rice overnight. This morning I removed my DAP from the bowl of rice but it still wouldn't power on. ...
I'm not sure you understood what skip252 explained, "overnight" is not long enough. Example, my wife went swimming with her cell phone, I told her not to turn it on and we left it in the car for a week 1/2 disassembled while it dried out. After that I put it back together and tested, didn't work, replaced the battery and it's good as new today. Moral of the story, you need to give it at least a week and even then sometimes the battery needs to be replaced. Although in your case I think it's not a battery issue … good luck!

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@Artmuzz, indeed, bad luck for sure but now you know for next time [hopefully never].

Don't count it totally dead yet but know it probably ain't looking to good. Still, nothing to lose at this point so give it a week or more. Dry white rice or a few of those dessicant packs that say "Do Not Eat!". Insert all into a ziplock bag, stick in a drawer and come back 7-14 days later.

Keep fingers crossed.

Good luck man,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-10-2011, 09:42 AM

I phoned the Sony Centre and and told them about the my X1060 getting caught in the rain. I told them that when I try to boot my DAP (which I can only do by pressing the reset button or plugging into the mains) it boots with the Sony Logo but freezes at 70%. The guy at Sony Centre told me the reason for that is because since the unit got caught in the rain it has switched to safe mode.

I have put my X1060 DAP into an old coffee jar and filled with one silica gel bag and then filled with rice. I have sealed the coffee jar with the lid. I have stuck it into my gas boiler cupboard because it is warm in there all the time. I will report back next week.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:44 AM

Wait... you're heating up your electronic device?

Oh, I have to hear how this turns out.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:58 AM

lol. . .

Old 06-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Administrator

The enclosure for the boiler where I live is a warm, dry area with good air circulation caused by the air currents created by combustion. It becomes warm in that area, not hot. Unless Artmuzz places the coffee jar directly atop the boiler it should be a good place to help promote drying.

I don't think I would seal the jar though. That would trap moisture and limit the amount of drying to what the desiccant can absorb. It also eliminates the air circulation that would help promote drying. If those are the exact directions you received I'd follow them. If not I'd remove the lid from the jar to release the moisture .

Old 06-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ agree 100% with skip252. No handyman/plumber/engineer myself, but I too would not completely seal the jar. Puncture some holes at least for some circulation I think...

<keeping fingers crossed...>

Interesting what Sony tech support said - "safe mode" after getting wet...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-11-2011, 12:27 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Anyway I was in my local electrical store today and I couldn't believe my eyes when I seen in their mp3 player display cabinet a Sony X1060 ex-display model reduced to £100 considering that Sony have stopped making them and hardly any shops sell them now. After my upset this week with my X1060 DAP dieing in the rain I just bought it. Now my problem since its an ex-display is that it is in demo mode. I knew it was too good to be true. Anyway, how do I get out of demo mode?

Any suggestion?

Art

Old 06-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Before I even reached the part about it being in Demo mode I was wondering if it was. I have seen at least half a dozen posts here and elsewhere about that. I've never seen a solution.

IIRC it usually goes that the purchaser calls Sony to find how to take it out of demo mode. Sony tells them the vendor has the software to do that. The vendor says that they've never heard of that software, the player was in that mode when they received it.

Just because I haven't seen a solution doesn't mean there isn't one. The posts I've seen were just things I ran across in casual browsing. I wasn't the one stuck with a fancy advertising piece so I really didn't have any motivation to dig deep for a solution. The solution may be as simple as putting the right search terms into a search engine then following the directions you find posted. If that doesn't help then I'd start talking to people and possibly emailng around looking for how to fix your issue.

I'd start with the vendor. If my memory about Sony saying that they have the software is right they may be able to pop it out of demo mode easily. If not they may be able to contact Sony or whatever wholesaler supplied it to them and be able to get info Sony won't release to the general public.

If you can't find any help with them contact Sony. They may be willing to supply directions on how to get things working for you.

Keep digging. Somebody put the player into demo mode and somebody knows how to take it out. It's going to be a matter of finding who that somebody is.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:19 PM

I've found a fix I did an extensive google and came to this post which takes my X1060 out of demo mode.

For anyone's reference here is the link...

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/655401

Old 06-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Very good! As I said I didn't look much for a solution but I'll bet you're glad you did.

Now, repeat after me, I will keep my new X1060 dry, I will keep my new X1060 dry, I will keep my new X1060 dry...

Old 06-25-2011, 08:56 AM

It has been over two weeks since my old Sony X1060 got drenched in the rain and today I tried to switch it on. When I switch it on the progress bar freezes randomly at either 30% or 70%. Sometimes the progress bar fully loads up and I get into the main play screen but before I choose a mp3 to play it switches itself off. I then hit the reset button again and it loads up but the progress bar gets stuck at either 30% or 70% on the boot screen. Just a few hours ago I hit the reset button again and it fully loaded up but its stuck at the "checking library" screen but I see it is charging the battery. It has been about 3 hours it has been charging while stuck on"checking library". Hmm I wonder if this is a problem with the flash drive.

Anyway, I'm not too fussed as I bought myself another Sony X1060 to replace it but I was kind of hoping to get my old Sony X1060 working again so I could sell it.

UPDATE!! It was working yesterday but with the home button not functioning. Today it is not working again. Oh well I will just have to use it for its battery incase the battery on my new X1060 need replaced.

IEM - Sony EX310LP, Panasonic HJE900, JVC FXC80, Sennheiser CX300II

Last edited by Artmuzz; 06-26-2011 at 10:06 AM.