android
Old 06-06-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Internal memory vs external memory

Hi, I'm looking to buy a J3, and an 8gb model + 16gb memory card is currently cheaper than getting a 16gb model without a memory card.

Is this a good idea? Do you notice a difference going between internal and external memory?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 AM

The external memory will be rescanned everytime you boot up the player. How long that takes depends on how much you have on the external card. I have about 4.5gb on my 16gb microSD card and it adds at the most 15 secs to the boot time. If you use sleep mode instead of turning the player completely off then it will be "instant on" when you wake it up.

The internal and external memory is integrated into the database or you can browse by folders to see each memory separately.

I think there is a playlist issue where you can't mix playlists between internal/external (I don't use playlists, but I think there is something about that either here or on iaudiophile).

My normal response is to buy whatever you feel comfortable with paying for. If money is the concern go with the 8gb J3. If storage space is more important then go with a 16 or 32gb model. The J3 only takes up to 32gb cards, so an 8gb with 32gb card would top out at 40gb, 16gb plus 32 gb card would top out at 48gb and 32gb with 32gb card would top out at 64gb.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the very helpful and swift resonse!