android
Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 PM

Default I've learned something about resolution

Resolution on lets say a Portable Media Player really doesn't matter too much,for video viewing wise.I mean I've seen alot of people complaining about how 480x272 resolution is poor by todays standards however if I have a video which is about nearly double the resolution and I view it on that 480x272 resolution screen,it will be superclear and look amazing,to me at least.I just wanted to say that.If I bought a Cowon X7,and I'm already used to the Cowon O2 resolution,I'd be happy with all that memory and how clear and crisp everything looks on the screen,I'd have no complaints about that.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 PM

Resolution alone doesn't tell much, it's the screen size that matters too (and dot-pitch, and other subtleties, but yeah). 480x272 looks fine on the Cowon J3's 3.3" screen, IMO - but on the O2's 4.3" screen it's already kind of blocky. On the other hand, seeing the O2 side by side with the V5's slightly larger 4.8" 800x480 screen is really no comparison, IMO. It's 130560 pixels vs. 384000 pixels, the difference in detail is quite a lot.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:24 PM

Thats true.I mainly believe its the resolution of a video file that matters most.Too much resolution being stuffed into a 4.3 inch screen isn't going to look good,but too little resolution stuffed into a large screen is bad as well.But non-converted DVD movies and such look quite nice on the Cowon O2.Standard definition 640x480 movies look clear and crisp to me on the O2,if it was compressed then yes it would look blocky.HD 720P movies certainly aren't worth it on a 480x272 resolution screen though.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 AM
Banned

An interesting subject, Lagoo56, thanks for making this thread. I don't have much experience with larger screen PMPs but for the smaller ones I've seen there are, IMO, a number of factors which make for good, watchable resolution assuming your files are fine.

I agree that 480 x 272 is perfect for watching videos on a 3.3" screen. I watched 2 movies on my Cowon J3 yesterday and didn't find myself wishing that they were clearer, or that the resolution was greater like my phone. On a bigger screen - 4" or more I'd definitely notice blockiness.

My phone is 800 x 480 and 3.5" - for watching movies it's only different than the J3 to me in that it has a slightly larger screen, otherwise both play video fine - there's no appreciable difference to me. But when viewing web pages with tiny writing, or my ebook application, the greater resolution is certainly appreciated. This, the Cowon wouldn't do as well, but then, it doesn't have those capabilities anyway. Of course the Cowon has a good AMOLED screen compared with some devices which sport poor ones (Sony X, A) and this makes a difference also.

Some budget touchscreen phones - and the HTC Wildfire - stretch out 320 x 240 or 400 x 240 on to a 3 or even a 3.2" screen - the results are terrible; video looks blocky and their browsers are nearly unusable.

It's really interesting how the technology has improved. Do you remember those tiny colour LCD tv's from the early 90s? Even if you had perfect reception the picture was really crap - try watching a movie or tennis or football (soccer) on one of those.

Last edited by nodirectionhome; 05-11-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 AM

Well I've learned one thing after buying this Aluratek Cinepal HD movie player,that a 1280x720 resolution screen only looks good for 1280x720 movies or bigger.I have alot of movies that are standard definition and they have to be stretched along the screen to fit,after that the movies don't look too well but HD movies look quite nice.But if they have a resolution close to 1280x720 then it will look fine.This is why I still own my Cowon O2 because it handles SD movies alot better than the Cinepal and they look alot better on it.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:09 AM

I guess that's more of an issue with the Aluratek's firmware and video scaling routines than with the screen.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:15 AM

Hmmm I'm not really sure if it is or not.It seems like one of those occasions like when playing a 480p videogame on a 1080p screen,it won't look its best but not too bad either.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:25 PM

S9 screen, same 3.3" 480x272 resolution, and stuff looks great.

The screen on the new i touch is pretty slick in fairness, a friend said Apple reduced the size of the pixel to accommodate more pixels in the screen or something to that effect. I suppose that matters too!

Old 05-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
S9 screen, same 3.3" 480x272 resolution, and stuff looks great.

The screen on the new i touch is pretty slick in fairness, a friend said Apple reduced the size of the pixel to accommodate more pixels in the screen or something to that effect. I suppose that matters too!
It really is a nice looking screen....with the caveat of course that you don't have the widest variety of compatible formats.