android
Old 05-13-2011, 03:53 AM

Default Best RDS FM radio tuner with a decent mp3 player?

Hi to everyone here!

I have no experience with mp3 players but I'd like to buy one for my dad. He listens to radio a lot, the news and the music. Also he would love to listen to classical music in a form of mp3.
So please can anyone more experienced tell me what would be the best mp3 player with the best most sensible FM tuner, preferably with RDS, in a price range of $50 - $150.
The easier to use (he's 65 years old already) and with the longer battery life, the better it would be.

I have searched the web through and through and read that the Samsung YP-Q2 has a good radio reception but its controls are weird and Sony Walkmans like S540 (I am afraid it has no RDS though?) are good but are there any more alternatives that would be easy to use as a quality radio (preferably easy to see, in big font size, station frequency/RDS) and has a decent mp3 capability too?
Also I've heard Clip+ has not the best radio I think. |: Any good Philips product maybe, Gogear Raga, Vibe? I have no idea of radio reception on these...
So the emphasis would be on the easy to use radio with good radio sound quality.
Other extra stuff like video player would be garbage on board.

Thank you everyone in advance!

(Sorry for my English, not my native)

Last edited by musaire; 05-13-2011 at 03:59 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-13-2011, 04:27 AM
Samsung Moderator

I would say Samsung Q3 or R0.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not the best, but perhaps the best value: Sansa Fuze+.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:05 AM
Samsung Moderator

If he doesn't like the Q2, why would he buy a Fuze+?!!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Now that the prices came down, wouldn't a 16GB ZuneHD fit the bill?

Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree, the Zune HD would be the better deal - especially for what you get. But, that damn Zune software is a PITA - try it out BEFORE getting a Zune HD.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
If he doesn't like the Q2, why would he buy a Fuze+?!!
Availability and price. And perhaps for the UI and style. Why does anyone else choose one device over another?

Old 05-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Samsung Moderator

Hmm you probably missed the point in his 1st post. He said the doesn't like the touchpad of the Q2. And indeed touchpads suck, that's the same issue with the Fuze+. If the doesn't like the Q2 for that reason, he should not get a Fuze+ and in this case we don't care about the UI and style

Old 05-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I read the first post, Leb. Nothing mentioned about touchpads. Only that he read the Q2 has wierd controls. The Q2 and the Fuse+ use similar tech, but aren't the same layout and use. I'm not claiming the Fuze+ is better than your Samsung suggestions, but that it is simply one more alternative to consider. So is the Zune. I've got all three, and my Fuze+ gets used more. Just saying.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:38 AM

Thank you everyone for this quick response! I didn't expect this to be that quick and thorough. I like this forum.

I am not in a that big hurry to buy that player so I am just writing more thoughts about it, just in case anyone can answer what they think if it is not too much trouble to do so:

I actually like all those players you guys mentioned. I must admit there is something good in every one of these players I think based on what I have read about them in reviews and what you just said.
So as I understand and the main feature I was looking for there shouldn't be radio reception problems with anyone of these as long as a good and long cable for earphone is used I think. Differences in radio quality in these players aren't that big, yes?

And yes, when talking about the weirdness of controls in Samsung Q2 I kept in mind the touch-pad. I cant say myself I wouldn't like it (haven't tried) because I got pretty good fingers, I was just wondering how 65 yr old would handle it but probably it wouldn't be too hard to get used to.

I kinda like the looks of Samsung Q3 and its battery life too. So this player would be one of the main choices in a case the FM tuner on it isn't noticeably worse than it is on Q2, as i have read the radio reception on Q2 is above average. It isn't that much worse, is it, if anyone has an experience with that?

One of my thoughts would be what would be the better in Fuze+ compared to Q2 or Q3?

And yes, I like Zune HD also. Zune is good but maybe too complicated for my dad because he wouldn't use majority of its features. He would use only radio and would listen to some mp3 files. He's bad with PC's and with softwares and lots of options and gimmicks that may be on board. So the Zune HD would be too pricey considering he wouldn't use all the features it has to offer.
I admit the Zune HD 16gb with the new price is a very good deal though for anyone who needs all it has to offer.

Thanks for you thoughts once more! This was what your responses made me wonder about. Probably there isn't much you guys can add to what you already said?
I guess it is all up to what style of UI and appearance of mp3 player one likes.

In any case thank you everyone!

Old 05-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No one mentioned the Sony E series. It doesn't have RDS though. Very few mp3 players have RDS. If you must have RDS, I think iRiver has some cheap players with RDS FM radio. The Zune HD is interesting since it had HD radio, but HD radio and availability of the Zune HD is only in a few countries. Getting back to the Sony E354 for example, it is listed as having 50 hours of battery life, has FM radio(no RDS though), 8 GB of memory(the E355 has 16 GB but is much harder to find) and is inexpensive. I suggest avoiding the Fuze+, but the original fuze or the Clip+ might be okay except that battery life is not long(only 12 or 20 hours), no RDS, and the display fonts are small.

Last edited by JK98; 05-14-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:18 PM

Thank you JK98!
Yeah, I am considering the Sony too. 50 hours battery life sounds great. Which I hope it also means, if I rearrange the words, 50 hours of great sound, assuming Sony's quality.

As a perfectionist aforementioned RDS feature and radio recording possibilities would just add some little extra pros. Those features aren't the most relevant.
But a big display font like it is present in Q3's and R0's tuner app is a huge pro in my selection. I think I like R0 a lot for its simplicity and how the UI appears, especially in tuner app, which is similar to Q3 I think.

And an interesting thought if anyone knows this: how much different would be the battery life listening to radio compared to listening to mp3 files? I guess it can be noticeably longer as those mp3 decoding processes aren't running in case of a tuner, but I am not sure in FM tuners power drain. I guess the display would drain the most in that case.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

50 hours of stated battery life probably means around 38-42 in real world use. I think I read that the R0 does not integrate its card contents with main memory, and that the firmware on it isn't so great. The R0 is an older model that never really gained traction. An FM tuner can be very low power consuming, however on some mp3 players the radio consumes much more power than playing mp3 files, while on others the power consumption is around the same.

If you want a radio with very long battery life, then get the $15 Sony SRF-59. It gets 100 hours on one AA alkaline battery It is an analog AM/FM radio without an mp3 player that has great sound quality(using high quality headphones, not the low quality included ones). You could use this with a AA nimh rechargeable. Some people carry this along with an mp3 player, as no decent mp3 players have AM radio.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

FYI: as feature rich as the Zune HD is, it's quite easy to use. The UI is one of the most user friendly around. Check one out, as I think your father would be quite pleased with it.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:09 AM

The DarkSide, JK98, lebellium, Olley, musichound, thank you for your thoughts!
I appreciate it very much.

Tags
fm, fm radio, fm tuner, mp3 player, rds