android
Old 05-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Default Another Broken Clip - Prosthetic Surgery

Well my Clip+ joined the ranks with broken clips, or more accurately clip mounting posts.

Not a winning design SanDisk. I'm careful with my things (my e200 is still in good shape), but this broke after a little over 6 months. I use it about five times a week, nearly always clipped to my shirt pocket, but yesterday I clipped it to my belt which is about 4mm thick. I guess that overstressed the hinge post, since this morning it broke.

Rather than mess around with an RMA and get another one with the same weak point. I decided to upgrade the clip with one from a security badge.

First, so nothing else would break when I removed the old clip, I pushed the hinge pin through from the good hinge post, which completely released the hinge.

Then I super-glued the broken hinge post. I think super glue is more than strong enough to hold the weight of the Clip+. I'm certain it was actually the force of the clip spring that caused it to break.

Then I used a hobby knife to carve out holes in the badge strap for the two hinge mounts to fit through.

Finally I locked the strap in place with a tiny safety pin.

So it is secured through both hinge posts but still easy to remove.

While it's not as clean and compact as the original, it is considerably stronger and I'm fairly confident it will work out for the long haul, but if it doesn't I'll let you know.

Last edited by Pennhaven; 05-12-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 PM

I guess if Sandisk creates something to be the successor of the Clip+ then it should maybe have a metal casing,like the Sansa E200 series did,with a metal clip also.Prices might be higher though.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:35 PM

I haven't tried one of these but it looks promising:

http://countycomm.com/selflockingclip.htm

Old 05-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr View Post
I haven't tried one of these but it looks promising:

http://countycomm.com/selflockingclip.htm
I looked at that and it does look interesting, but I saw two drawbacks.

First, it's over 2" long, almost twice the size of the Clip+ player. Maybe better suited for a larger device like a Fuze or a smart phone.

Second, once it's stuck on with adhesive you pretty much have to leave it there. At least you can't easily remove and replace it. Combined with the size, that would tend to detract from the Clip+'s main attraction, it's compactness.

I preferred to try a solution that is only slightly more bulky than the original and can be easily removed, if I decide I don't like it or if it's ever in the way.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Administrator

The Clip+ dimensions are 2.2 L x 1.4 W x 0.6 inches D. so it would seem that the linked to replacement clip would fit OK. Myself if I had to replace a broken backside Clip I'd want stay right were I put it until I decided to pry it off.

The more replacement alternatives we see the easier it'll be for someone to fix theirs in the future. Some people have been looking for a suitable replacement clip for a while now. Seems like this one might work also. The shipping to my zip code, ($8) is pretty steep for one but its the same for one or multiples. If you order a few it may be worth investigating.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The Clip+ dimensions are 2.2 L x 1.4 W x 0.6 inches D. so it would seem that the linked to replacement clip would fit OK.
You're correct. I definitely messed up with my assertion. For some reason I had the impression that the dimensions were much more squared off than they actually are, even though the evidence to the contrary is right there in my own photos.

So, I agree, it would be interesting to see how the self locking clip from countycomm would work.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Administrator

I thought the Clip+ was smaller myself. Had to pull a ruler out my desk and check. The view on that ad is terrible. It gives the impression it's much larger than 4 in.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@Pennhaven: Well, I for one dig your solution. You should wear that Clip+ to every convention you attend.

Nice work!
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Oh no. Please don't get the idea that I don't think Pennhaven doesn't have a very good solution to a all too common issue. As long as you've got enough of the original hinge post to attach to this would seem to be a great solution. It would seem to be both strong and inexpensive.

I'm always in the market for well thought out solutions that aren't immediately obvious. I've never had a Clip lose it's clip but this gives me several ideas on how to use commonly available items to attach another one if the need arises.

Thanks for sharing Pennhaven.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:25 PM

@Pennhaven nice mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
... As long as you've got enough of the original hinge post to attach to this would seem to be a great solution. ...
If there's no hinge you could always Velcro the clip to the back or even super-glue it. Personally I’d go Velcro so you could easily replace the clip if it needed replacing again but there’s many other solutions as well, hot glue ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-12-2011, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the kudos, guys. I just do what I do.

One other plus with the badge clip that I discovered (remembered) today is that these clips can be rotated to clip along the bottom edge of whatever you want to clip to (e.g., collar, cuff, flap).

Of course you could sort of do this with the OE clip by clipping the device upside down, but since that clip does not have nearly as strong a grip as the badge clips do, it would be more likely to fall off.

For those interested in additional study I'm announcing that Clipology 101 will be offered next semester. Enrollment is open.

Last edited by Pennhaven; 05-12-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:35 PM

Pennhaven, where did you buy the replacement clip?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by variation View Post
Pennhaven, where did you buy the replacement clip?
I didn't. Just had it lying around. Provided by previous employer.

Suggest you try searching for ID badge clip strap. Looks like they are usually sold in bulk though.

Here's an example source, but it's a 100 pack.

But you should be able to find a source to sell or even give you a couple. You could have a friend who wears an ID badge at work ask his employer's security department for one.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
I guess if Sandisk creates something to be the successor of the Clip+ then it should maybe have a metal casing,like the Sansa E200 series did,with a metal clip also.Prices might be higher though.
i'd like to see an aluminum casing on the clip++ to keep it light. the liquidmetal on e200 was a nice touch but it was unnecessarily heavy.

I clip the clip+ to my waistband while i jog and I don't even notice that it's there.

Last edited by rEUD0yNGneUGi9n; 05-12-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEUD0yNGneUGi9n View Post
i'd like to see an aluminum casing on the clip++ to keep it light. the liquidmetal on e200 was a nice touch but it was unnecessarily heavy.

I clip the clip+ to my waistband while i jog and I don't even notice that it's there.
Absolutely agree--I've wanted colored metal cases, different colors for different memory sizes: e.g. bronze, platinum, and gold.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
@Pennhaven nice mod
If there's no hinge you could always Velcro the clip to the back or even super-glue it. Personally I’d go Velcro so you could easily replace the clip if it needed replacing again but there’s many other solutions as well, hot glue ...
That thought inspired me to see another possible way* to attach one of these strap clips if the hinge posts are broken off the player (or even if they aren't.)

These straps are designed with metal snaps to allow the strap to be looped through the slot in an ID badge and fastened back onto itself. That design would allow a clip surgeon to cut the strap in two, trim off some of the excess on both pieces, then glue the detached snap piece onto the back of the Clip+.

This approach would offer three advantages:
  1. The clip portion could be snapped on or off as desired.
  2. The clip/strap assembly would be a little less bulky, as it would be mounted flush to the back of the player and the folded portion of the strap would be gone.
  3. If the snap were glued in the center of the Clip+ the player could be rotated up, down, or maybe even sidewise.

*Patent Pending

Last edited by Pennhaven; 05-14-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
You're correct. I definitely messed up with my assertion. For some reason I had the impression that the dimensions were much more squared off than they actually are, even though the evidence to the contrary is right there in my own photos.

So, I agree, it would be interesting to see how the self locking clip from countycomm would work.
I think you're right that clip may be a little too big. The flat surface on the back of the Sansa Clip is only 2" long.

There is another possibility from that place: http://countycomm.com/acusoled.htm

These are keychain led lights with a tough little metal swivel clip held onto the light with tiny screws. It is probably possible to remove the clip and glue it onto the back of the Sansa Clip. Then you've still got a useful keychain light.

I have a couple of the lights and the clips are very functional and can grip stuff tightly. They use about the same amount of depth as Sansa's factory clip.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:36 PM

^Looks like a good suggestion paulr.

Here's a photo from countycomm's site:

PS - Plus, for you SEAL Team wannabes, you also get a "special ops" LED light.

Last edited by Pennhaven; 05-16-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:23 AM

I reckon the badge clip solution is the best - just find an acqaintance who goes to PTA/POLITICAL/BORING BUSINESS seminars a lot, one of them is bound to have one (still on card thrown in a drawer prob'ly....)

Old 05-22-2011, 04:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ exactly. I got like a bajillion of these in a drawer someplace in NYC...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies