android
Old 05-09-2011, 05:22 PM

Default Buying J3 (Questions)

Hi all

I'm looking at buying the J3 but have some questions.

1. I read that you can't apply EQ settings to songs or albums. Has anyone heard if Cowon are planning to add that feature in the future? I don't see the point of having all these presets if you've got to change them every time a different style of music comes on.

2. Is there another way to browse in album view than just via the art wall? It seems a bit cumbersome. I've got a Zune, albeit a broken one at the minute and it couples the album art with the title of the album. Scrolling through is quick and easy. I've watched people scroll through the album art on YouTube and it seems like it would take forever to reach albums further down the list.

3. I also read that the BBC iPlayer feature isn't working correctly. Is that right - has anyone had any problems? Sounds like a great feature and something I'd use a lot.

4. A bit of a random one this but has anyone tried adding guitar tabs as text files - how do they look in the document browser? Or if not tabs, how is the document browser?

5. Anyone heard if they're planning to separate out podcasts and audiobooks so they don't appear in random play?

Many thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1) EQs are active when you set them. They apply to everything from the moment on you set them. Not sure what you read.

2) You can browse via album tag when you want to, it's the same tag mechanism as everything else - in the browser view.

3) No idea, don't use that stuff.

4) It's a basic text browser, don't expect anything special from it.

5) No, they probably don't.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2424 View Post
1. I read that you can't apply EQ settings to songs or albums. Has anyone heard if Cowon are planning to add that feature in the future? I don't see the point of having all these presets if you've got to change them every time a different style of music comes on.
Are you asking about an EQ function like exists in Winamp on the PC, where the EQ settings can actually be saved with a name that matches the track name, so that now every time you play that track the particular matching EQ preset for that track gets auto-loaded and used?

No... that is not the way the EQ on the J3 works. You simply manually set it, and it remains in effect until you change it to another EQ (or turn it off by returning to "Normal").

Cowon isn't very talkative about anything, so there's really no way of knowing if they have any future plans for the product. But this Winamp-like EQ idea... well personally I'd love it too (as that's what I have on my PC's Winamp setup), but it's very likely NEVER going to happen on the J3.

Actually, I don't use this feature of Winamp so much because of the genre or style of music change from one track to another... I use it because every single CD seems to be engineered a different way!! Even different tracks on the same CD can sound very very different. Yes, some CDs are superbly engineered and consistent across all tracks (Norah Jones' CDs come to mind immediately), but CD to CD there is a radical difference. Some are very bass-heavy, and some are bass-light, and some have bell-clear treble, and others are muddy, etc. Casual engineering... or someone with some very odd ears.

Anyway, I use the Winamp EQ to adjust EACH track I play, the first time I play it. The EQ always starts from the default I've created, which is "pretty good for most things", and then I tweak it if I feel the need and then save it under the track name. And that's it. Without ever thinking about it again, anytime I play that track (or any track for which I've done the same thing) in the future the correct preset EQ for that particular track will get auto-loaded by Winamp and used to play just that particular track.

Quote:
2. Is there another way to browse in album view than just via the art wall? It seems a bit cumbersome. I've got a Zune, albeit a broken one at the minute and it couples the album art with the title of the album. Scrolling through is quick and easy. I've watched people scroll through the album art on YouTube and it seems like it would take forever to reach albums further down the list.
No.

I have made a suggestion to Cowon that many of the list-based functions of the J3 would greatly benefit from some type of "alphabetical picker", to at least send you down to that section of the file list being displayed (either in text form or in graphic form, like album covers) whose titles start with that letter of the alphabet.

Sad, but true... there is no way to shortcut this user-interface design which requires a complete scroll through an entire presentation (text list or graphics) to arrive where you want.

Now for text lists, there is a scroll bar that also appears on the right side of the screen, which is really a HIGH SPEED SCROLLER through the list. So you don't need to only use a gesture up/down on the text items in the list to scroll slowly. You can also use your finger on the high-speed scroll control on the right of the screen and in almost no time at all pull the list up or down hundreds of items in an instant... maybe even too fast.

But otherwise, there are no "shortcuts" for "direct access" to the most reasonable implementation which would be "alphabetical picking by first letter". Again, this will likely NEVER be implemented.

Can't comment on your other questions, as I have no experience with them.

On the other hand... THE J3 SOUNDS FANTASTIC!!! Which is the reason I bought it (along with its 64GB capacity).

Personally, I use the "normal" EQ setting when I have it in my car, connected from the headphone output to the AUX/line input of my car's audio system. The EQ and tone control I have set in the car's audio system is already excellent, and I don't want to "double up" on tone control because it produces negative results. Feeding "normal" output in my car sounds fantastic.

For headphone listening, I will very often just use the Cowon-provided "BBE" preset, which is just a bit more full-sounding, maybe a bit more bass-heavy than "normal". It sounds fabulous in my Sony CD950 (LARGE) headphones. I can't use BBE in my car.

But even more terrific in my opinion is a custom EQ setup (referred to as "MDWright1032" in this forum, because the BBE setup values were specified by that forum member). This EQ setup really includes a fair amount of gain, so I have to turn the volume level on the J3 down from its normal setting to about 6 units lower. It's really that much louder than "normal" or "BBE". But this EQ setup sounds amazing... 3D-like (not artificial, just 3D-like), clear, full, I mean it's remarkable. I can't use MDWright1032 in my car. It is only usable with my headphones.

Last edited by DSperber; 05-09-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:03 PM

Thanks so much to you both. I've ordered the 16gb.