android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 PM

Default Need some help deciding on cheap over-the-ears

Looking to spend less than $30 with shipping. Comfort is a big issue: I used to own Senn. HD205s but they hurt my ears quite badly after an hour or so of use. They broke recently so I'd like to replace them with something bigger.

Here are my current choices:
Sony MDR-XD200
I love the design of these, but I'm a little scared by the talk about lack of bass. I'm no basshead, but I only own a Zune HD which has limited EQ options. While I think I could pump out a decent level, I just want to know that I won't be disappointed because I do like to feel it sometimes
JVC HA-RX500
I don't like the way these look, but apparently they're better? If you can't tell I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about the differentiating features of headphones.
Koss UR20
Taken from the cheap headphones thread. Really cheap, that's for sure.

A few more things I'd like: my laptop speakers broke so I'd like headphones I could possibly use as semi-quiet speakers and just leave around my neck. My HD205s did this well and I think any of the above could manage. I also don't care too much about sound isolation but it's a bonus.

So, uh... Any more suggestions for large and comfortable circumaurals? I'm about to order the Sony set. Seems like the most comfortable, and the trade-offs aren't really that bad.

Last edited by FallenArms3; 05-05-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]