android
Old 05-02-2011, 12:58 PM

Default J3 crashes at boot

Hi all,

I put some new song files in the internal memory. ~300 MP3 (id3 v2.3), 1 wma (wma2) and some m4a (aac) files.

At reeboot the blue progress bar freezes at ~ 40% it's way. Using the reset button (even longer than 20 sec.) won't work. Conneting it to the PC results to the same. I don't get access to the file system to remove the "bad files" i guess I have on the J3.

Firmware is 2.23. OS is Win7 HP.

please!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-03-2011, 04:42 AM

Same prob as here:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=62895

Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 AM

Just an observation here...

M4A files are not officially supported, according to the J3's documentation: MP3/2, WMA, OGG, FLAC, APE, WAV are the only file formats explicitly named in the documentation.

Also, AAC is again not officially supported:

MP3 : MPEG 1/2/2.5 Layer 3, ~320Kbps, ~48KHz, Mono/Stereo
WMA : ~320Kbps, ~48KHz, Mono/Stereo
OGG : ~Q10, ~44.1KHz, Mono/Stereo
FLAC : Compression Level 0 ~ 8, ~44.1KHz, Mono/Stereo
APE : Fast,Normal,High16 Bits, Version 3.97 ~3.99
WAV : ~48KHz, 16bit, Mono/Stereo

I know some users have reported that recent firmware versions have supported AAC.

But until/unless Cowon actually announces it or puts out a new PDF document that explicitly says that, I think it's "CAVEAT EMPTOR" for AAC.

I wouldn't be surprised if the presence of these files is what's causing your problem.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CwJ3 View Post
At reeboot the blue progress bar freezes at ~ 40% it's way. Using the reset button (even longer than 20 sec.) won't work. Conneting it to the PC results to the same. I don't get access to the file system to remove the "bad files" i guess I have on the J3.
Are you saying you cannot get the J3 to connect to the PC any longer, so that Windows assigns a drive letter?

If that's the case, I'm afraid you're doomed. You can't run the FORMAT function to erase the J3 unless you can at least get Windows to see it... in order to run the FORMAT function.

Sounds like RMA time.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:09 PM

The AACs got more or less accidently on the J3. I wasn't aware this would be this harzadous... Didn't find any warnings in the manual.

The J3 schould be more tolerant: not playing unaccepted formats would have done it. Future firmware must fix this needs - this is a tricky timebomb in my opinion. Just as bad as connecting to a Mac.

The progress bar always stops even when connecting to the PC. So no drive letter is assigned and the J3 is bricked. Started the RMA via Amazon, argh!