android
Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 PM

Default Sennheiser HD555 1/4" jack

hey i just ordered a pair of these. After looking around for a nice bang for your buck headset i figured a refurb set would do nicely. The only thing that has me worried is that it has a 6.3mm jack.

My mp3 player of choice is a dinky lil sansa clip. Not sure i want the weight of the jack, adapter and 10 feet of cable wearing down imput jack(not sure if thats what its called). So is it possible to just make a new cable with a standard 3.5mm jack?

If so... any resources on making your own cables would also help.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Administrator

That's exactly what happened to me a few years back. I had a 1/4" connector and 1/8" adapter destroy a Sansa E260. A setup that long creates way too much leverage for the headphone jack on a DAP.

You can learn how to how to shorten it here. A soldering set is fairly cheap and between the directions and pictures it's hard to go wrong. The one thing I learned was don't cheap out on the plug itself. The 2 for $5 sets you'll see are almost impossible to solder properly and don't last if you do it it done.

You should also take a look at the Show Off Your DIY Cables subforum. Lots of tips and ideas in there. There's some really good looking and functional cables interconects and such in there.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:56 PM

Hey, that was a quick response!

Yeah, i had issues with my e200 but it was always fixable just by replacing the solder on the connections to the pbc. But the clip isnt as tinker friendly so i wanna avoid anything like that.

Any who, thanks for the links and the reply!

EDIT: also nice links in your sig. ill be sure to bookmark that aswell!