android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 04-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have the hd428 also and really enjoy them. my only complaint is that they dont fold flat. I have been looking at the 518 for some time. Skip, I would love to hear how the 2 compare to you.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
I have the hd428 also and really enjoy them. my only complaint is that they dont fold flat. I have been looking at the 518 for some time. Skip, I would love to hear how the 2 compare to you.
Sure thing.

Hey, IDvsEGO, I've noticed you do quite a bit of shopping around too. Do you have any reliable eBay vendors you could recommend to the OP? I know how to read the warning signs on the fishy ones but I'm outdated on whose doing it right.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have been steering clear of ebay lately. just hasnt been the cost savings it used to be.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
I have been steering clear of ebay lately. just hasnt been the cost savings it used to be.
I have been asking for refunds often for cheap stuff cause it was crap or not delivered. So where does a simple non us person get his righfully owned cheap stuff these days?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

non-us? not sure. I think easily accessible, rightfully owned cheap stuff is secretly provided to us by our government to keep us too busy to do anything about their obvious shortcomings. seems to be working since most of us put more research into our IEM purchase than our party affiliations.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
And now you're talking some real money, if you're not careful....lol. I'm lucky, I guess...my PortaPros and Grados get used daily, and my big Pioneers get broken out for late night TV/Movie watching(where the 10-foot cord comes in handy) and I am quite content with those three.

Only other thing I could find a use for would be a set of closed around-ear 'phones wiyth a short, light cord for DAP use when a little isolation from the outside noises would be nice....I'm planning to start spending some time on the bike and the treadmill in the home gym and they both make noise(esp. the treadmill) Any ideas?
(forgive my lestatar-ish thread derail)
Wait until you hear my J3 and M50. You will change your budget, and you will change your gear. LOL

Sorry for today, we had a kick off for the project we're working on... I'm still drunk as shit. LOL... I don't mind it.

But we decided to take tomorrow off...

...so unfortunately you'll hear my gear this friday. I promise you though, you won't regret it!!!

The J3 has a GREAT synergy with the M50s, and you'll hear it!!!

Old 04-09-2011, 07:41 AM

Hi people, i have a question on the compatibility topic. If we talk about fuze 4/8gb - just the fuze. I want to check out the 32 gb cards. Have some questions i think some of you may have answers to:
1- Will SDHC work?
2- Will a micro sd with an SD adapter work?
3- Where can you recommend to get a card (apart from ebay) to get to internationally
4- I presuem Sandisk works best, or others like Kingston also work well?

Old 04-09-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1shot View Post
1- Will SDHC work?
According to wikipedia, yes, it does.

Quote:
2- Will a micro sd with an SD adapter work?
I would hope so. I've been using them for several years now, and never had a problem.

Quote:
3- Where can you recommend to get a card (apart from ebay) to get to internationally
I found a few good deals on places like Newegg.com and NCIX.com but I would avoid eBay in general. There are too many bootlegs and outright fake cards to make it worthwhile.

Quote:
4- I presuem Sandisk works best, or others like Kingston also work well?
I have cards from both and they are perfectly fine.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:18 AM

Sansa fuze - how long can it play and how long does it charge? What it uses as a charger, a PC?
And i dont seem to get it, does it require any drivers? Cause seems so on the website, and it states that Windows media player 10 or higher is a requirement...but why?

Last edited by a1shot; 04-27-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1shot View Post
Sansa fuze - how long can it play and how long does it charge? What it uses as a charger, a PC?
And i dont seem to get it, does it require any drivers? Cause seems so on the website, and it states that Windows media player 10 or higher is a requirement...but why?
You can expect to realistically get 18-20 with a full charge using decent bitrate mp3s in the OF. That will go down if you use FLAC or Vorbis. Some have reported that using either of those codecs in the OF has cut their runtime by as much as half. Doing anything that causes the screen to light also causes a big hit on battery life.

From a flat battery to full takes about 3 hours. Shorter more frequent charges are best to preserve lithium batteries. I usually pop mine on a wall charger for an hour or so. That gives me at least a good 12 hours. It's not hard to figure how much to charge it once you have it a few days. The Fuze will charge with any standard USB source. Wall charger, PC, car charger all work as long as they provide the 5 volts needed.

WMP is needed for MTP transfer, that's where the MTP, not USB drivers are. If WMP or the MTP Porting kit isn't installed it should still connect as a drive. I'm not sure about that in Windows. Every Windows PC I've connected a Sansa to has met the minimum requirements and I've never had connectivity problems.

I can say for sure that the Fuze will connect as a drive in both Linux and on a Mac. I've done that on several different machines. You just plug in, the machine looks at it a few seconds, recognizes it for the drive it really is and assigns it a drive letter. Bang you're connected, no extra drivers needed.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You can expect to realistically get 18-20 with a full charge using decent bitrate mp3s in the OF....
Thanx! So i see. I've seen a player recently dont recall how it worked, but it used WMP to get the music. Will i be able to sync the playlists from WMP to the player? Also, when it has a card in it - the memory is not considered as a whole, rather separate parts. Still, can it sync to any of those? Are they equal or if not, what is the difference?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Can't be of much help with the whole "sync" process, sorry. What I do know is that WMP seriously sucked at it like it does most things. I had more success with MediaMonkey than I did with WMP but the results still wasn't what I wanted. In part the lack of control in the sync process is what caused me to explore Rockbox.

Rockbox integrates both memories and makes it very simple to create playlists involving both. There's no sync capabilities but the ability to see everything as a whole more than made up for that for me.

When I tried syncing playlists in the past using WMP or MM I could sync either to the card or the internal memory not both. I tried Winamp and a few other media managers and got the same results. It got more than a bit frustrating to find that a song I wanted on a playlist I making was on the other memory and would wind up on the player twice. That wouldn't happen with player with a single memory with a decent media manager.

Remember all my information on syncing to a Sansa is at least 3 years old. Someone may have found a work around that I didn't or the ability to see and sync both memories may be included in a software I never tried. I'd do some reading in the Software subforum and if you don't find anything start a thread there and see if anyones come up with something.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Can't be of much help with the whole "sync" process, sorry. What I do know is that WMP seriously sucked at it like it does most things. I had more success with MediaMonkey than I did with WMP but the results still wasn't what I wanted. In part the lack of control in the sync process is what caused me to explore Rockbox....
I got your point Then there is a question- if the 8gb+whatever size the card is are as one, does this mean i am not to take it out in order not to damage? How does rockbox manage in case of several cards. Cause I did not find the reason for having several Fuzes, rather than just having several cards but then if it is possible to make it as a whole, it cant be separated..or can it?

Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Administrator

I have several cards of different sizes I rotate through my Rockboxed players. Nothing gets confused or damaged because the playlists that involve the songs on a particular card are carried on that card. Rockbox playlists can be anywhere on the player as long the file paths are right. I keep a core of absolute favorites on the player itself and then rotate the cards according to my mood.

When I change the card Rockbox allows me to see the contents of both in the File Browser immediately. I can see the playlists on the card that includes the paths to the stay resident favorites and what's on the card. If I decide want to do use the Database to create new playlists or rework existing ones it takes all of 90 seconds or less to refresh the database. That's with a 8 GB player carrying a 16 GB card.

I had the same thoughts you did, why have multiple players when everything blends together so nicely using Rockbox? When you change the card you instantly have access to another media library, no need to carry another DAP. The same cards along with the included tunes and playlists go between my Sansa E250, a Clip+ and my Fuze. Using the cards this way each of them has a usable storage capacity that's only limited by my budget to buy cards.

True, it's not all immediately accessible but changing a card only takes a few seconds. I identify the cards with a dot of nail polish. Red is Rhythm and Blues, white is Rock and so on. A little note inside the carrying case for the cards reminds me if I forget which is which.

I have been a cheap SOB all my life. That doesn't mean I'm willing to settle for inferior quality things just to save a buck. What that means is that I have to be willing to use my imagination and include a little elbow grease and skull sweat in the purchase price. Refurb Sansas, good quality memory cards bought on sale and Rockbox let me have a great audio set up for a relatively small amount of cash.

That let's me blow my paycheck on what really makes a audible difference. Headphones

Old 04-27-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I have been a cheap SOB all my life. That doesn't mean I'm willing to settle for inferior quality things just to save a buck. What that means is that I have to be willing to use my imagination and include a little elbow grease and skull sweat in the purchase price. Refurb Sansas, good quality memory cards bought on sale and Rockbox let me have a great audio set up for a relatively small amount of cash.

That let's me blow my paycheck on what really makes a audible difference. Headphones
Same here pal im already looking up some stuff. Thanx for the idea on the nail polish! That is called using your brain sergant. Now, which ear bud and rount the neck earphones would you suggest to use with the fuze? (im not into the over the head or usual ones since they are easier to be hit off the ear, so i had once earhones that were a plastic band round the back of the head that makes them stick to the ear )

Oh and i am a big headed guy, so 56 all size caps are small for me

Last edited by a1shot; 04-27-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:19 PM

Is there a difference what class is the card for Fuze? or even class 2 is enough?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Administrator

The only difference class rating affects is file transfer speed. Everything that happens on the player is slower than the internal speed of the card. So class ratings only make a difference in how fast your files transfer to the player.

Sorry, can't help you that style headphones. All mine are standard types not neckband or earbuds. Gather up your information and post it up in the headphone subforum. Also when I used the term "neckband" in the forums search engine I got quite a few hits. You could research those.

Last edited by skip252; 04-28-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
The only difference class rating affects is file transfer speed. Everything that happens on the player is slower than the internal speed of the card. So class ratings only make a difference in how fast your files transfer to the player.

Sorry, can't help you that style headphones. All mine are standard types not neckband or earbuds. Gather up your information and post it up in the headphone subforum. Also when I used the term "neckband" in the forums search engine I got quite a few hits. You could research those.
Which ones you use now? There is always room for a change...if they sit tight (still, i am also a person that likes to hear what is signaling me while running at 100 km/h)) )

Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Go buy the damn thing already and find out yourself,...

Tags
30gb, flash, no software