android
Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 AM

Default SD Card Question

I am considering buying a J3 in the next couple of days, as from all the reading around it seems to be the best choice for me, but I have a couple of what may well be stupid questions about the SD card slot.

If you have multiple SD cards, with different content on, is it easy to swap between them, or does the device end up getting confused with tracks that are on an SD card not currently present?

I am kind of thinking that the reason that the device takes longer to scan the external memory on start up (as I have read on here) is for this reason that it can track its internal memory, but has no way of knowing if the current SD card is the same card that was present when switched off - and this behaviour makes it easy to swap between cards.

Also, would I be right in thinking that you can't "hot swap" the cards while the device is in use?

These may seem obvious, but help is greatly appreciated

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It will rebuild the database when a new card is inserted. I wouldn't pull one out when content from it is being played.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 AM

Hi All, Does anybody know if you can put a 32gb sd card into a 16kg cowon J3? Sorry its on this thread im not to hot on computers. Thanks in advance

Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffy View Post
Hi All, Does anybody know if you can put a 32gb sd card into a 16kg cowon J3? Sorry its on this thread im not to hot on computers. Thanks in advance
Yes, but it must be a micro SDHC card not a full size card.

Look at this post if you don't know the difference.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...65&postcount=8

Steve

Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 AM

Also, it's hard to remove cards from the J3. There is no spring action.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
It will rebuild the database when a new card is inserted.
Does it actually do that at "insert time"? I would have expected it to only be at "boot time".

Worst case, power the J3 off first. Eject the current SD card and insert the new SD card. Power the J3 back on and let it rebuild the database.

Quote:
I wouldn't pull one out when content from it is being played.
Hopefully one would NEVER do that. Absolutely a no-no.

But for a similar reason, I wouldn't treat the external card as a "hot swap" drive. Call me cautious... and fearful. But it may well be perfectly hot-swappable.

The real issue is the J3's function of building the tag database, and whether or not it happens at insert-time or only at true boot-time.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom View Post
There actually is a tiny spring action. You can see that if you open the protective slot cover, then use say the edge of a toothpick or a nail clipper to push down on the currently fully inserted SD card. The card will be "ejected" and the spring below it will push the card up slightly, so you can then remove it (between your finger nails, or with a tweezer, or something).

Yes, the total "travel" of the SD card as facilitated by the spring-loaded insertion and ejection mechanism is not all that great. And it's pretty much physically impossible to insert it with your fingers or even with your finger nails. You need something longer to push down on the tiny edge of the card to get it to go all the way into the socket and get "grabbed".

At that point its upper edge has now disappeared into the socket, lining up flush with with the top edge of the tiny SD drive itself. Which is also why you need some kind of sharp instrument to now push down on the top edge of the fully inserted and "buried" SD card, so that the eject-spring mechanism is engaged and pops out the card a bit.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom View Post
Oh, there is a little bit of a spring in it - not as springy as the iRivers I used to have (B30 and S10), admittedly, but I find it enough to eject the card sufficiently that it's graspable.

A lot of reviews I read before I bought the J3 complained about it being difficult to open the cover and insert or eject a card. I've just put a ringke on mine, and having that extra thickness of hinderance around the port is like heading straight for the "expert" level on a game you've never played before! Makes me feel like I've achieved something once I've swapped a card, and what's Life without a challenge?!

Old 03-26-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESBA20002009 View Post
what's the maximum capacity sd card you can put on the j3?
Cowon doesn't specify a limit to the SDHC card the J3 can read. But I think the largest capacity currently availabe on the market is 32GB, and I know it reads that.

Quote:
also is there a calendar on the j3?
Sort of, though it doesn't appear on the browser. (I haven't installed any of the custom UIs, so maybe some of those list it, I don't know.)

But you can find it if you swipe on the interface chooser in the bottom right of the main screen (the round icon that looks like an off button); place your finger on it and swipe to the left, then choose the third of the interface icons that now show up on the bottom of the main screen, the one that's called the Smart Widget display.

On the third screen of this display is a calendar, but it's really just a widget to let you see what day of the week a certain date falls on; far as I can tell, you can't add appointments or notes to specific dates; it's not like a diary.

Maybe someone else knows about a Flash widget that works on the J3; I haven't seen one.

Last edited by Branais; 03-26-2011 at 02:27 AM.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 AM

Default sd cards

Hi All, Another question for you all. I have been looking for a 32gb card on Ebay and found somebody selling them BUT in the description it also reads that its a Transflash Card?????? Is it the same thing? The description reads 32gb micro sdhc transflash card (fat 32) format. thanks in advance Huffy

Old 04-15-2011, 07:20 PM

Yeah , it's totally the same.
Be careful , i've had 3 fakes on 3 purchases on ebay... Test the card with h2testw to see if it's a real 32gb card...

If you want to have a real micro sd 32 gb , don't look below 50 $ range price ..