android
Old 04-08-2011, 04:07 PM

Default Give advice about headphones what to buy!

• Price Range: max 60 euros (80 dollars)
  • Type/Design: portable headphones
  • Style: Closed better
  • Supra-aural: Pads that sit on top of the ears.
  • Primary location of use: on the go- Trains, buses, traffic + riding with bycicle
  • Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: Balanced from lows to highs, basshead
  • Media: Rock, blues, dubstep, rnb.
  • Source: Portable player (Cowon iaudio9)
Maybe there are any better, than suggest me please other than these
I have found: Sennheiser PMX 90, HD228, PX 200 II, PX 100 II, Grado labs IGrado, AKG K 404, Sony MDR-G75LW, MDR-710LP.
Big thank you.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you're considering the PX100II, then it's worth considering the Koss PortaPro as well.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You should also take a look at the JVC Flats .....

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 PM

AIAIAI Tracks would work too.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 PM

If you want an ultraportable set of closed headphones, go with the sennheiser px200-ii. If you want something of comparable sound quality but larger and requiring a bag (therefore better isolation and comfort) go with the akg k81dj. Both are solid choices, the best one simply depends on your needs.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 04-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

While I've never owned the Koss PortaPros....and have heard they've got great SQ, I just noticed that the impedance is quite high....60 ohms. That's pretty high for portable use IMHO. I don't buy headphones with an impedance higher than 32...I'd prefer not to boost my DAP's volume up more than a safe level. You'll find yourself boosting the volume up quite high if traveling with them....

Just a warning ...

Retired Devices:

Old 04-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
While I've never owned the Koss PortaPros....and have heard they've got great SQ, I just noticed that the impedance is quite high....60 ohms. That's pretty high for portable use IMHO. I don't buy headphones with an impedance higher than 32...I'd prefer not to boost my DAP's volume up more than a safe level. You'll find yourself boosting the volume up quite high if traveling with them....

Just a warning ...
Any one of my players will power the PortaPros just fine. And cranking the volume up on the players doesn't hurt them....I used to use my Sansas hooked up to my stereo system with the player running at max volume for hours and hours, and it didn't hurt them in the least.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well I didn't mean it'll hurt the players. I just think it would be kind of inconvenient to have to boost the volume to a high level...while with all my headphones, I never have to boost it higher than half way....only time I'd have to do that is if I have replaygain on (I'm not used to 89dB volume level).

Retired Devices:

Old 04-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Administrator

All of my portable players get my Portapros to ear damaging levels with no problems. Sound pretty good while they're doing it too. The impedance isn't the problem, it's them being open headphones.

I don't find open headphones to be suitable for bus and trains. Riding my bike I rather like them. If you keep the volume reasonable you get additional audio cues to help keep you safe. But like McDougal says the temptation to crank them up louder can get very strong when a bus or train drowns them out. It made me rethink using them in noisy situations when I turned on the player and Portapros I had used the day before one time.

The volume was much higher than what I usually am comfortable with. The scariest part was that I had walked just under a half mile after I got off the bus and hadn't noticed. I guess my ears had gotten adjusted to the too loud volume level.

I wear IEMs or closed headphones when I'm riding public transportation now. I tried just leaving open 'phones at the same volume levels but it was just a waste of battery life. Couldn't hear the music at all.

My research led me to the AKG 518 JxK mentions. They're supposed to have good bass without drowning the rest of the spectrum. I'll know for sure very soon.

Last edited by skip252; 04-09-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That makes more sense....it is indeed tempting to crank them to drown out the background noise. I'm never on a bus or train, thankfully....but like skip mentions, riding a bike or walking, you can keep your volume somewhat reasonable and still be aware of your surroundings, which is important to me (been hit by cars twice)

Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

lol...I could never imagine listening to music while biking !

I agree w/skip...whenever I'm in the car/bus or any other form of transportation, I use closed headphones (my JVC Flats) or IEM's. I never use IEM's while walking etc., they always fall out of my ears lol.

Retired Devices:

Old 04-09-2011, 03:34 PM

for your genres, i'd say have a look at the Portapros, Grado sr-60i (however these are open backed and not the prettiest headphones around :P).. for closed back, go for the AKG K518; IMO, the best sub $100 headphones available right now

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Old 04-09-2011, 05:33 PM

Oops, I just reread your first post. If you're looking for a catch-all headphone, one for commuting and biking/working out. If that's the case, don't pick any of the fullsize headphones mentioned. As good as they are, they will hardly fit under a bike helmet or be comfortable on a weight bench. Instead, I'd say your best option is the sennheiser px200-ii. Indeed, with your criteria, it's probably the only option.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace