android
Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, United States of America(but always Saint Andrews, Scotland, United Kingdom), Earth, S
Exclamation Crackling noise?

This just happened, I was listening to some music and reading ABI when I noticed a strange crackling noise. I thought it was my head phones but when I unpluged my Zune charging cable the noise stopped. And when I plugged it back in the noise started agian. So exited the browser and the noise didn't stop until i turned off the wireless. And now every time I listen to music and have Zune plugged in and have the wireless, on there is a crackling noise in the background. I think it has to do with processor not being able to handle all that going on. This kind of scares me because I was thinking of getting the Zune pass but now I'm afraid that since a lot of music playing will be while my HD is plugged in it will still have this problem. And it's doing it right now.
Please someone help me if you also have this problem.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-31-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack37 View Post
This just happened, I was listening to some music and reading ABI when I noticed a strange crackling noise. I thought it was my head phones but when I unpluged my Zune charging cable the noise stopped. And when I plugged it back in the noise started agian. So exited the browser and the noise didn't stop until i turned off the wireless. And now every time I listen to music and have Zune plugged in and have the wireless, on there is a crackling noise in the background. I think it has to do with processor not being able to handle all that going on. This kind of scares me because I was thinking of getting the Zune pass but now I'm afraid that since a lot of music playing will be while my HD is plugged in it will still have this problem. And it's doing it right now.
Please someone help me if you also have this problem.
I can confirm there is no crackling on my Zune HD 16 in the above mentioned scenario

Old 04-01-2011, 12:10 AM

Location: Pennsylvania, United States of America(but always Saint Andrews, Scotland, United Kingdom), Earth, S

It's weird it only happens I think when the battery is really low. But I'm not sure. I really hope my Zune isn't broken. But if it is I think I might go hop over to get me a archos 32 or something.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Um, have you tried charging from different sources? I'm going to assume that this wasn't charged from the computer, because if it's connected to a computer with an internet connection, you wouldn't need wireless on to use the internet. Anyway, check the specs if you're using a wall charger. Look at it and find out if it has above 5V and 500mAh (or .5Ah) because the source could be an issue. If you're connecting to a computer, just turn off the wireless.

Much luck,

Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 AM

The output on the wall charger is 5.0V 1000mA so that might be it.
Thanks for the quick answers my fat old and balding family.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Crackling? That is the water boiling in the battery. Once it steams off the sound should go away.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:15 PM

if your zune is beeing charged, the electricity sends a electromagnetic sound. this isnt the fault of zune, as thats happening with every source of electricity. because the connection cable is >1cm away from your headphone cable, the 50hz signal is picked up. as long as your zunes beeing charged, your gona hear that sound. just the same with every other electronic charger, if handy or whatever

Old 04-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack37 View Post
The output on the wall charger is 5.0V 1000mA so that might be it.
Thanks for the quick answers my fat old and balding family.
Hm yea, that's the same as with mine. I've never tried listening to music while charging, though, because the touchscreen flips out when it's plugged in so I just let it charge and use it later.

(Btw, the typical USB port on the computer is 5.0V and only 500mA, so my personal theory is that the extra current messes with the player)

When I get the chance, I'll try listening to music while it's plugged in and see if I get the same crackling noise.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Strange. I had the same issue but mine was just out of the blue. It would have a kind of "static" sound in the background and usually a reset would fix it. Then finally, (and I don't mean to scare you guys).. the Zune died. About 5 days out of warranty too...

Took $90 to fix. Wolfson Micro chipset died and needed a new mainboard.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:38 PM

^this kind of scares me a little but my Zune is still alive and working so crossed fingers.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think that as long as you don't hear it ALL the time, only when it's charging, it's probably not hardware related. But the moment you start getting it constantly, definitely send it in if it's under warranty.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 PM

Yeah the one year warranty is up and I may have voided it due to some ehem.. "Falls" from some not so low places. But yeah as soon as I start hearing it all the time I will try to get it fixed or go on the tedious task of finding a reasonably priced pmp that fits my needs.